bignok

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

to the title ...

... been to Samui once

... been to Phuket 25+ times

(4 times the last 3 yrs)

... nuff said

Where in Samui and where in Phuket?

There are quiet places, there are very busy (nightlife) places, Phuket town, etc.

And obviously there are lots of possible reasons to visit the islands.

And they have different climate (rainy seasons).

It's like "I like Thailand". Which part? 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Where in Samui and where in Phuket?

There are quiet places, there are very busy (nightlife) places, Phuket town, etc.

And obviously there are lots of possible reasons to visit the islands.

And they have different climate (rainy seasons).

It's like "I like Thailand". Which part? 

Phuket, been around the whole island, stayed on most of the westward beaches.  Been to E side, just never overnighted on that side, or S side, which has nice quiet beaches.  Same with N part of W side.

Samui, went around the whole island, quite small vs Phuket, stayed overnight at 2 beaches.  Surf wasn't cooperating, as the Gulf is iffy all the time.  Phuket, usually perfect half the year.  And decent on cusp of hi/lo season, just need to be careful due to rips during rainy season.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I foung Phuket had physical beauty to be sure. But the hoardes of tourists, touts, and sleazy areas took away from the experience. 

Yes it does eventually where off of you, i.e. unless you get out to say Nai Harn Beach for example and the beaches in that direction.

Been to Samui once, as you say and to which I agree 110%

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Samui has a rustic feel. Nice deserted beaches. Some interesting, steep roads in the interior that lead to temples and waterfalls. Tasty food (many good French bakeries especially). Stunning beautiful water. Nice villas overlooking the sea. Very limited nightlife.

I will return, but will always make sure the wife buys the food, as she purchased a bag of Watermelon from the street fruit vendor, me being in the line talking to a foreigner, I overheard the wife say 20 baht, that was for one bag, and the unsuspecting farang paid 5 times that, welcome to the Land of Smiles.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes it does eventually where off of you, i.e. unless you get out to say Nai Harn Beach for example and the beaches in that direction.

Been to Samui once, as you say and to which I agree 110%

I will return, but will always make sure the wife buys the food, as she purchased a bag of Watermelon from the street fruit vendor, me being in the line talking to a foreigner, I overheard the wife say 20 baht, that was for one bag, and the unsuspecting farang paid 5 times that, welcome to the Land of Smiles.

Tao rai? Just say that you get the real price

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, retarius said:

I would have to say Samui. I have never been to Samui but I have been to Phuket and hated the damned place, so better the devil you don't know, than the devil you do. Why do the Thais destroy everywhere that is beautiful?

Why does every country destroy everywhere that is beautiful?  Phuket, for sure, is getting overrun.  100 flights per day into HKT, and they want to build a second airport.

Edited by swerve

20 hours ago, biervoormij said:

One has the Andaman Sea the other has the Gulf of Thailand.

I would have to agree. The beaches at Phuket are cleaner and there are even a few waves. Swimming in the Gulf is like taking a tepid bath.

22 hours ago, retarius said:

I would have to say Samui. I have never been to Samui but I have been to Phuket and hated the damned place, so better the devil you don't know, than the devil you do. Why do the Thais destroy everywhere that is beautiful?

IMO they are both <deleted><deleted>. I've been to both extensively, but they became over touristed, over built and wrecked at the end of last century. Last time I visited Phuket was after the tsunami and they were rebuilding the same <deleted><deleted> again. Same on Phi Phi which now has to be the most ruined island in all of Thailand IMO.

Sad how greed ruined Thai beaches.

• Thumbs Up 1