Phillipines

bignok

Stickman's Reader's Contribution page has a two-parter from a hilarious monger with lots of detail.

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2023/03/my-pinay-horror-story-part-1/

Yes, his pinay horror story.

This, from the writer of Poems to my Pinay. How soon it can all go from winsome, reflective poems to a swirling vortex of horror.

Poems to my Pinay is available as a free download -surely no takers, even from (especially from) the Pinay in question.

What I recall:

-Koreans are running more and more bars and that's a bad thing.

-Much lamenting about the lack of old style mama sans.

I've been twice. It's like Thailand meets Mexico. Just pick.

Stickman's Reader's Contribution page has a two-parter from a hilarious monger with lots of detail.

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2023/03/my-pinay-horror-story-part-1/

Yes, his pinay horror story.

This, from the writer of Poems to my Pinay. How soon it can all go from winsome, reflective poems to a swirling vortex of horror.

Poems to my Pinay is available as a free download -surely no takers, even from (especially from) the Pinay in question.

What I recall:

-Koreans are running more and more bars and that's a bad thing.

-Much lamenting about the lack of old style mama sans.

I've been twice. It's like Thailand meets Mexico. Just pick.

6 hours ago, Trippy said:

Are you joking? Getting laid in PI is like shooting fish in a barrel, much easier to get some for free compared to Thailand.

But I like to feel safe wherever I go, and that's very hard to find in PI.

Dude, this is exactly what I wrote. Yes, getting laid is easier with NON PROSTITUTES. Imagine that. While in Thailand everywhere you can go to some Agogo/Bar and barfine a prostitute. Try that outside the small AC Walking Street.

Where don't you feel safe? Somebody saying mean words on the internet?

For me the Philippines are one of my backup options to Thailand. 

I've been there once. Manila, Cebu City, Bohol  Bantayan, Dumaguette.

I prefer Thailand.

My top two choices now if I did move there are Iloilo city (top choice) and Baguio.

But after watching scads of videos of those two places and others I don't feel a need to visit.

Correct or not I feel that I understand what those two places are like and also their pros and cons without actually visiting.

Edited by Jingthing

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

If your into girlie bars then Angeles City about 3 hours north of Manila by bus 

Olongapo use to rock back during the USN hayday before SRF Subic was closed.  Not sure of it's status not.
If Angeles City still rocks, then check out Barrio Barreta along the coast of Subic Bay.

If you looking for touristy stuff, consider a trip to Baguio as well as exploring Luzon.

5 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Yeah, even without going to school or university I feel very educated.

I'll try to clarify.

I don't want to move to the Phillipines.

After my first trip I don't even particularly want to visit it.

But I recognize it as a viable and OK backup option to Thailand. 

My current list also includes Mexico and Cambodia.

If I got close to being close to actually deciding to move to the Phillipines of course I would then want to do boots on the ground research in my top two choices there. Iloilo City and Baguio.

But my point was and I really believe this is that you can learn a lot about destinations you haven't visited on youtube. 

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll try to clarify. I don't want to move to the Phillipines.

Well, the thread starter looking for good places in the Philippines and you offered your opinion based on never having visited. I guess thank you for your valuable opinion?

Anyway, I wonder why people always say they like Thailand more than the Philippines but never really explain anything beyond "oh the crimes and PH is a <deleted>hole". Like, okay, wow, so valuable as well.

I guess it's due to the fact that Thailand once was nice and people got just attached to it. But hands down, what does Thailand has to offer, what the Philippines don't?

Okay, the easy accessible whores in Thailand are important for some and obviously friends you made connections with and new friends can be easier made if there are more expats but what else and why would you recommend Thailand to a under 50 yo who wants to emigrate to Asia? What visa options does he have while in the Philippines it's so easy? Why he needs to pay taxes in Thailand while in the Philippines he doesn't?

11 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Are you talking about those guys sitting with their Chang T-Shirts at 9:00 am sipping on their 3rd beer?

Actually they are not likely type A and will find bureaucratic delay a nice conversation topic.

2 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

But hands down, what does Thailand has to offer, what the Philippines don't?

Are you serious?  A much better infrastructure to start with.  Much more modern.  Much better transportation options.  Much better quality food available local or imported.  Much lower fear for robbery.  Much lower prices for most things (accommodations number one).  No cyclones.  Less electric outage.  Much less bureaucratic nonsense.

But, as with everything it is relative and dependent on persons.  Many will find PI people and ability to understand western ways make up for much of the above and can learn to live with other factors (which for most of us not a big deal).

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Well, the thread starter looking for good places in the Philippines and you offered your opinion based on never having visited. I guess thank you for your valuable opinion?

Anyway, I wonder why people always say they like Thailand more than the Philippines but never really explain anything beyond "oh the crimes and PH is a <deleted>hole". Like, okay, wow, so valuable as well.

I guess it's due to the fact that Thailand once was nice and people got just attached to it. But hands down, what does Thailand has to offer, what the Philippines don't?

Okay, the easy accessible whores in Thailand are important for some and obviously friends you made connections with and new friends can be easier made if there are more expats but what else and why would you recommend Thailand to a under 50 yo who wants to emigrate to Asia? What visa options does he have while in the Philippines it's so easy? Why he needs to pay taxes in Thailand while in the Philippines he doesn't?

I have visited the Philippines. My conclusion was that I could live there but Thailand is better. Yes different people have different reasons why they prefer one country over another.

But I'm always interested in backup options to Thailand and I think it's wise for all expats anywhere to have backup options.

Again I really do believe people can learn a lot but obviously not everything about specific destinations on youtube.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

.I guess it's due to the fact that Thailand once was nice and people got just attached to it. But hands down, what does Thailand has to offer, what the Philippines don't?

Legal weed, better food, better infrastructure, legal weed, better safety, less poverty, better public transportation, far fewer scams scams, and did I mention legal weed, 555

• Confused 1

I like the people there. But, the entire country feels like one big Tijuana. It is depressing. Very little landscaping in the homes, even nice homes are ugly, and have barbed wire, and glass topped walls everywhere you look.The average house you would rent, looks like a slum. Tall walls, with barbed wire, to keep out intruders. And they just do not pay attention to landscaping and gardens like the Thai people do. So, most neighborhoods are fabulously ugly. Alot of slums in the big cities, and just not physically appealing.

And the food sucks. The only other country I can think of with worse food, is Cuba. Granted, if you are willing to spend the money, you can find good food. But, it is not the general rule, as it is here. Also, the access to fresh fruits and vegetables is pathetic compared to Thailand. Very low quality, and often not fresh. Thailand is a paradise by comparison, when it comes to all things related to food.

They use a lower grade of diesel. So, there is alot of soot in the air. The PI has an epidemic of lung diseases and respiratory diseases. Even on many of the populated islands. The hospitals are full of people who are having a very hard time breathing. It is a real issue there. Lung disease is at an epidemic level, though the authorities do not like to talk about it, and publish very little information on it.

The entire country lacks the infrastructure you have here in Thailand. As I am typing now, I am enjoying a 1GB download speed, and a 500MB upload speed, all on fiber optic cable, for 600 baht a month. Unheard of in many countries, including the US! Triple the cost there. No sky train network anywhere near comparable to Bangkok. Mo MRT network either. They have one under construction, and it will be limited to ten stations.

Shall I go on? I could. As far as I am concerned, the only reason to live there is the women, and a slightly more cooperative, and far less xenophobic and racist government. Alot of ex-pats are looking to leave Thailand, for a variety of reasons, but I am staying, as I enjoy a good life here. There are many things I like about this place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Shall I go on? I could. As far as I am concerned, the only reason to live there is the women, and a slightly more cooperative, and far less xenophobic and racist government. Alot of ex-pats are looking to leave Thailand, for a variety of reasons, but I am staying, as I enjoy a good life here. There are many things I like about this place. 

The beaches and sea are much nicer than Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trippy said:

Legal weed, better food, better infrastructure, legal weed, better safety, less poverty, better public transportation, far fewer scams scams, and did I mention legal weed, 555

Non-drug user here, weed does not affect me. Taxis are cheaper in the Philippines and airplanes fly everywhere so not true. Safety is subjective as I have a lot of negative violent encounters in Thailand while none in the Philippines. And fewer scams in Thailand? Lol, you can't be serious.

So, better public transportation. That's it?! Wow. Okay. What about taxes? What about visa for under 50? What about easier to get real girlfriends? What about clean sea water? What about less Indians/Arab tourists?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you serious?  A much better infrastructure to start with.  Much more modern.  Much better transportation options.  Much better quality food available local or imported.  Much lower fear for robbery.  Much lower prices for most things (accommodations number one).  No cyclones.  Less electric outage.  Much less bureaucratic nonsense.

Are you serious and if why so serious?

None of that outweighs the positives for me.

Infrastructure is better? More transportation options? What does that even mean? Everywhere are taxis available and airplanes fly to all destinations. There's no tuktuk mafia as well. So, this is clearly a lie.

More modern? Yeah, it's a bad thing as you might have noticed.

Much better food quality? I only buy in Villa Market (TH) and the same brands in the Philippines.  But true, street vendors offer more variety. I don't eat from street vendors. Steak is a steak.

Lower prices? In the Philippines everything is cheaper, not sure where you got your info.

Much less bureaucratic nonsense. BWHAHAHAHAHA, okay, your entire post was bait and I fell for it, nice job!

7 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

What about less Indians/Arab tourists?

Suspect that says a lot.

11 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

I only buy in Villa Market (TH) and the same brands in the Philippines.

As does that.

4 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

your entire post was bait and I fell for it, nice job!

Actually I post what I believe - and do not troll the forum - if you find something to be different that is fine - but do not appreciate being called a liar because my view and experience is different than yours.

7 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Non-drug user here, weed does not affect me. Taxis are cheaper in the Philippines and airplanes fly everywhere so not true. Safety is subjective as I have a lot of negative violent encounters in Thailand while none in the Philippines. And fewer scams in Thailand? Lol, you can't be serious.

So, better public transportation. That's it?! Wow. Okay. What about taxes? What about visa for under 50? What about easier to get real girlfriends? What about clean sea water? What about less Indians/Arab tourists?

Ok, believe what you want, but I will say this. If you have a lot of negative violent encounters you're doing something wrong. In my 30 years of coming to Thailand I've only had 2, and both were with drunk Brits. 

I'm not racist so don't care about Indian/Arab tourists. 

Yes, many more scams in PI, if you don't see that open your eyes and ears. Did you know that in PI you can sit in jail for over 2 years awaiting a trial if just 1 Filipino accuses you of a crime.

I could go on and on, but I don't think whatever I say will change your mind, so I agree to disagree.

17 minutes ago, Trippy said:

Ok, believe what you want, but I will say this. If you have a lot of negative violent encounters you're doing something wrong. In my 30 years of coming to Thailand I've only had 2, and both were with drunk Brits. 

First time arrived in Thailand at 2006 and got robbed 40k at the ATM at 5am by Ladyboys in Phuket. And this happened again later with a lot of other stuff.

17 minutes ago, Trippy said:

I could go on and on, but I don't think whatever I say will change your mind, so I agree to disagree.

Yeah, I think you are just attached to Thailand and are not open for new things. It shows because you only look at negative things of the Philippines but don't write about positive things or which are better than in Thailand while I actually go into it and look at both sides.

Anyway, you have to agree that you can't freely recommend Thailand for anybody under 50 who wants to stay in Asia for a long period of time and not just holidaying.

Edited by SuperSaiyan

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually I post what I believe - and do not troll the forum - if you find something to be different that is fine - but do not appreciate being called a liar because my view and experience is different than yours.

Alright, bro. That's okay! Are you done with your 90 day reporting already or are you due to renewal of your yearly visa with a map full of supporting docs? Nice!

I personally would prefer Thailand if it had no taxes for foreigners who can't benefit from a DTA (Philippines = no taxes), if it had real visas options for under 50 yo except Elite visa (Philippines = limitless visa without bureaucratic), if it had more Christian churches (Philippines = Churches everywhere).

Those are my 3 main reasons.

And more reasons would be:

More Tinder matches in PH and I am actually able to flirt with Girls in Tinder and on Facebook - in Thailand it's like 1 in 10 is able to match my energy while in the Philippines it's 8 in 10. It's due to Filipinas actually being able to speak English while your typical Isaan girl just can't, and for that matter, the Bachelor educated BKK chick neither.

Thailand is flooded with tourists. I love to relax on an empty beach. I did that in Thailand while it was in lockdown and it was amazing.

What pisses me off majorly about the Philippines though: It's 7000+ islands and thousands of kilometers of SEA VIEW and you nearly can't find any accommodation with actual sea view. It's hilariously bad. Not even in Bohol, Cebu or Palawan.

Edited by SuperSaiyan