Phuket property swindle: Frenchman exposes multimillion-baht real estate scam

webfact

It also happened to me about 25 years ago following apartments for sale in Thailand on Phuket/Patong.
There was an advertisement placed in a newspaper in Europe and it piqued my interest but before you could claim it you had to pay $4000.
I did not have the opportunity to go so my wife went there, the salesman was very friendly but more or less showed that it was not fair game and left the final decision to my wife, who then gave up.
A few months later we still visited the obscure little sales office in Phuket town together, but was already closed.
I lost my 4000$.
It was called "Phuket Palace.

6 hours ago, Swann Polydor said:

If you had read my tweet you would have known that we discovered the fact later on.

The official CEO of the company is "Laddawan Suannuch" his wife.

He did this in order to hide his name. At that time we could not possibly search for "Sawit Ketroj" as it was absolutely not obvious he was behind it.

It's easier after the fact.

There are always lessons to be learned in real estate--and my partner and I have learned, sometimes the hard way, some of them.  One lesson, never buy off-plan from an unknown developer, a small private developer, a developer with little or no track record, or a developer with unknown or possibly sketchy funding.  We did--once.  The project got built but, in hindsight, it very well might not have because it was the unknown, small developer's very first project, with unknown funding--checking off all of the 'no-no' boxes.   We got lucky but it could have been an experience like yours.

We have learned, if you can't find out much about a developer beforehand, walk away and look for something, hopefully, safer, such as a completed project.  If we ever bought off-plan again, it would be with a large, well-financed, publicly-traded Thai company with a long, positive track record of completed projects, which we could go look at. 

Even when you think you've covered all your bases, a bad outcome can happen.  We had a large foreign developer in Pattaya, with a number of completed projects, go belly-up during covid.  It's anyone's guess where he is now; I believe somewhere out of the country. 

Also, Pattaya sports a half-completed highrise waterfront condo with 'issues' that has been sitting for 13 years waiting for a 'finish it or tear it down' decision--another project we might have bought into off-plan but it was, thankfully, too expensive for our budget at the time.  (Timing can also be important.)   I'm sorry to hear about your experience; it would be great if the publicity spurs some action with the Phuket developer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Swann Polydor said:

Hello,

I am the author of the original tweet. I decided to publicly name them, fully knowing about the defamation law. I left Thailand a few days ago specifically for that purpose.

I will continue operating from outside of the country.

Good because somebody else was going to do it.  Another project is in Chiang Mai The New Concept Group with over 600 victims and 1 billion taken by investors the DSI's must be spinning 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:06 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Frenchman in court for defamation in 3,2,1 ????

1. Hope the accuser has already decamped to outside of Thailand, for his own safety and well-being. And I see that he has....

On 10/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, Swann Polydor said:

I left Thailand a few days ago specifically for that purpose.

I will continue operating from outside of the country.

2. This episode is yet another reminder that Thailand doesn't have a functional, widely used escrow system for would-be buyer's funds, to ensure that the funds only go to the developer when project milestones have actually been completed.

With all the years of countless property scamming under the bridge here, I can only come to one conclusion as to why the circumstances remain as they are... and that's that the authorities in power want it that way.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK