Potassium too high, any tips?

Confuscious

Yesterday, at the monthly check-up, the Potassium levels were too high.
The doctor advice me to adapt my diet and eat more "white" vegetables such as cabbage.

Avoid the "yellow" vegetables and fruits.
My Potassium level was 5.1, and in August 4.6.
Any tips how to bring Potassium levels back to "normal"?
As I can see, the Potassium levels are very fluctuating, just like sugar levels.

12 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Yesterday, at the monthly check-up, the Potassium levels were too high.
The doctor advice me to adapt my diet and eat more "white" vegetables such as cabbage.

Avoid the "yellow" vegetables and fruits.
My Potassium level was 5.1, and in August 4.6.
Any tips how to bring Potassium levels back to "normal"?
As I can see, the Potassium levels are very fluctuating, just like sugar levels.

Are your kidneys functioning ok, what's the GFR? If ok, then you should cut down eating foods with high potassium content such as potatoes, dark green vegetables, mangoes etc. You can google the question "which veg and fruits are high in potassium"  Don't overdo it though, as not enough potassium is not good either.

If you're convinced that your doctor's advice is valid, stick with what he/she says. 

But maybe only people with kidney problems should be concerned with excessively high potassium levels. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34225517

There are some people who should steer clear of foods that are high in potassium though, warns Collins - those with kidney disease.

"These patients have a very low kidney function which can potentially see a build-up of harmful potassium levels in their blood stream because they can't get rid of the mineral when they pass urine," she says. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Take sodium

I always take sodium with my bananas.  Sodium gets a bad rap and really depends on the individual.  I would guess I'm adding 3-7 tsp a day to my water.  Less cramping and also feel much better doing cardio exercises.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, atpeace said:

I always take sodium with my bananas.  Sodium gets a bad rap and really depends on the individual.  I would guess I'm adding 3-7 tsp a day to my water.  Less cramping and also feel much better doing cardio exercises.

I add it to protein powder

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Food intake will not be the culprit.

What medications are you on?

What was your creatnine and BUN?

I am nearly 70 years old, on Pacemaker, had recently a dedoubling of my aorta (Aneurysm), suffer Kidney Failure stage 3.5, suffer from HT.

Cesoline W 25mg 2 tablets/4 times per day
Azilsartan 40 mg  1/2 tablet in morning
Lercadip 20mg 1 tablet in the morning
Doxazosin 2 mg 2 tablets each morning/night
Atorvastatin 40mg  1/2tablet at night
Maforan (Warfarin) 5mg 2 tablets at night

Not prescribed: 101 Vitamins and Minerals 1 tablet per day

20231011 091159 mh.jpg

3 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Are your kidneys functioning ok, what's the GFR? If ok, then you should cut down eating foods with high potassium content such as potatoes, dark green vegetables, mangoes etc. You can google the question "which veg and fruits are high in potassium"  Don't overdo it though, as not enough potassium is not good either.

Kidney failure, stage 3.5
GFR 39.69

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

If you're convinced that your doctor's advice is valid, stick with what he/she says. 

But maybe only people with kidney problems should be concerned with excessively high potassium levels. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34225517

There are some people who should steer clear of foods that are high in potassium though, warns Collins - those with kidney disease.

"These patients have a very low kidney function which can potentially see a build-up of harmful potassium levels in their blood stream because they can't get rid of the mineral when they pass urine," she says. 

One of the best doctor I had in my life.
He told me about 1 year ago that he stop prescribing me medication for Diabetes.
Even Sheryll suggested to go visit a doctor at Bangkok Hospital.
I needed to control my Daibetes with my food and drink intake.
My Sugar level is now on average 110.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Avoid bananas and other foods high in potassium.

I have yet to see any research to indicate a normal intake of sodium is harmful.

I suspect that eating bananas is the culprit.
I ate the last 4 days 3 bananas a day.
And last month I ate 5 kgs of Avocados (bought at a sale-out).

What do you mean with Sodium?
Salt?

7 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Salt?

Salt. Sodium chloride.

A side benefit of giving up bananas is weight reduction, they are one of the highest in carbohydrate content.

Avocados are actually a bit higher in potassium than bananas.

14 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Salt?

Sodium and potassium intake should be balanced

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

I am nearly 70 years old, on Pacemaker, had recently a dedoubling of my aorta (Aneurysm), suffer Kidney Failure stage 3.5, suffer from HT.

Cesoline W 25mg 2 tablets/4 times per day
Azilsartan 40 mg  1/2 tablet in morning
Lercadip 20mg 1 tablet in the morning
Doxazosin 2 mg 2 tablets each morning/night
Atorvastatin 40mg  1/2tablet at night
Maforan (Warfarin) 5mg 2 tablets at night

Not prescribed: 101 Vitamins and Minerals 1 tablet per day

20231011 091159 mh.jpg

You should have led with that (that you have kidney failure). Puts an entirely different spin on things.

Of the meds you are on, only the Azilsartan is apt to increase the potassium and, with an aortic aneurysm and hypertension, you should not tamper with your BP meds unless advised to do so by your nephrologist.

Please ignore what people said about sodium (salt), with your specific multiple conditions sodium needs to be restricted not increased.

In someone with normal kidney function eating 3 bananas in a day would not much matter but definitely not a good idea for someone with kidney failure. Follow your doctor's advice,  assuming he is nephrologist.  If he is not then consult your nephrologist.  And repeat the potassium level in a month.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You should have led with that (that you have kidney failure). Puts an entirely different spin on things.

Sorry, forgot.

Of the meds you are on, only the Azilsartan is apt to increase the potassium and, with an aortic aneurysm and hypertension, you should not tamper with your BP meds unless advised to do so by your nephrologist.

The nephrolog did not like to prescribe that medication too, but he had no choice because my BP was still too high 

Please ignore what people said about sodium (salt), with your specific multiple conditions sodium needs to be restricted not increased.

I took that already with a grain of salt.

IYKWiM

In someone with normal kidney function eating 3 bananas in a day would not much matter but definitely not a good idea for someone with kidney failure. Follow your doctor's advice,  assuming he is nephrologist. 

The bananas were on sale and I wanted to eat banana milk shakes.

My err

If he is not then consult your nephrologist.  And repeat the potassium level in a month.

He is a nephrolog and the best doctor I meet in Thailand 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

With an aortic aneurysm and hypertension, you should not tamper with your BP meds unless advised to do so by your nephrologist.

I suffered a nearly fatal stroke in 1995 due to my left kidney and my hypertension and I can assure you that I don't want to be in the same boat again at 70 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Sorry, forgot.

The nephrolog did not like to prescribe that medication too, but he had no choice because my BP was still too high 

I took that already with a grain of salt.

IYKWiM

The bananas were on sale and I wanted to eat banana milk shakes.

My err

He is a nephrolog and the best doctor I meet in Thailand 

Who and where is he? I too have CKD and am not happy with the doctors I've seen

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In someone with normal kidney function eating 3 bananas in a day would not much matter but definitely not a good idea for someone with kidney failure. Follow your doctor's advice,  assuming he is nephrologist.  If he is not then consult your nephrologist.  And repeat the potassium level in a month.

As far as I understood my Neprologist, he told me to avoid "yellow fruits/vegetables (banana, pumpkin, avocado, etc.)" and eat more green fruits/vegetables (cabbage, salad, etc.).

What fruit/vegetable diet do you suggest for someone with high Potassium?

4 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

As far as I understood my Neprologist, he told me to avoid "yellow fruits/vegetables (banana, pumpkin, avocado, etc.)" and eat more green fruits/vegetables (cabbage, salad, etc.).

What fruit/vegetable diet do you suggest for someone with high Potassium?

Just eat meat and rice

When my wife had a high potassium level at a check up they gave her a drink that was supposed to flush it out of her system.

Her next check up her level was normal.

I read that bitter melon has 50 times more potassium than bananas.  She had been taking a bitter melon supplement, which we stopped.  I don't know for sure if that is what caused it.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:51 AM, atpeace said:

My cardiologist said avoid salt like the plague , No soups or Chinese food 

• Love It 1