Bicycling from Chumphon to Penang, Malaysia

carlf

Hello all.  I'm planning on bicycling in November from Chumphon to Penang, Malaysia.  I've been living and biking in Thailand for 5 years, so somewhat used to biking conditions for central Thailand especially, but not southern Thailand.

Any strong recommendation as to whether it's better to bike down the Eastern side of Thailand (via Nakhon Si Thammarat and Hat Yai) versus crossing over to the west around Surat Thani and going down the west coast (via Krabi and Trang)?  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, carlf said:

Hello all.  I'm planning on bicycling in November from Chumphon to Penang, Malaysia.  I've been living and biking in Thailand for 5 years, so somewhat used to biking conditions for central Thailand especially, but not southern Thailand.

Any strong recommendation as to whether it's better to bike down the Eastern side of Thailand (via Nakhon Si Thammarat and Hat Yai) versus crossing over to the west around Surat Thani and going down the west coast (via Krabi and Trang)?  Thanks.

Both lovely, though I prefer the western route, as a bit more scenic, and better surf if thinking about going in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlf said:

Id go NST to Phattalung. Maybe follow the train line if possible. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, carlf said:

I'm planning on bicycling in November from Chumphon to Penang

Note that it's monsoon season in the south from October through December. Switching to the west coast after Surat will save you some of the rain, you also avoid Thung Song near NST which is notorious flooding hot spot.

But monsoon rain reduces driver visibility and the ability to stop, so I'd be extra cautious, and make sure your health insurance covers cycling! 

• Like 1

Good advice is to prepare a will and have insurance card taped to your forehead.

Best advice is do not do this.

My students used to tell me the new red plates were red because they had hit those not in cars (pedestrian, bicycle, motorcycle). But hey, go ahead.

Just today... and you want to bicycle!

Edited by Jelli

Having done Singapore to Surat Thani by bicycle in year 2000 all along East Coast (and driven the Songkhla/Nakhon Si Thammarat route many times since), I would cross from Chumphon to West Coast and go south via Krabi and Trang. True it is more HILLY, whereas East cost is almost totally flat, West Coast route will be much more scenic IMO. Unless you are in a hurry - but then you'd take a motorised option. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That sounds like a great trip.  What kind of bike will you be riding and milage do you do in a day?  I brought my bike over a few years ago, but it was March and 40c, far too hot for me. 

The nice parts of touring here are not having to cook and staying in motels instead of in a tent. 

Will you post a trip report here?  I'd love to see how it goes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

That sounds like a great trip.  What kind of bike will you be riding and milage do you do in a day?  I brought my bike over a few years ago, but it was March and 40c, far too hot for me. 

The nice parts of touring here are not having to cook and staying in motels instead of in a tent. 

Will you post a trip report here?  I'd love to see how it goes. 

I'll certainly post some info here after the trip.

Based upon the suggestions here, as well as from some Facebook posts, I'll likely ride down to Surat Thani and then see what the weather forecast is.  If the weather looks promising, I'll go down the East Coast.  Otherwise, I'll head west to Trang and then follow the west coast.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carlf said:

I've done it twice (well once Samui to Langkawi), definitely the eastern side, nice cycling along the sea, if you have time cycle to Kota Bharu and then to Penang.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I've done it twice (well once Samui to Langkawi), definitely the eastern side, nice cycling along the sea, if you have time cycle to Kota Bharu and then to Penang.

That would be a nice ride across Malaysia. The possible issue with going to Kota Bharu (other than it would add 100s of KMs) is that it will take the OP through the deep south of Thailand. An interesting area for sure but maybe not advised due to the insurgency there (Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat areas). I went through there in 2000 before the troubles started. It would be unlikely that a foreigner on a bicycle would be targeted but could get caught up in something nasty. According to UK FCO it's advised "against all but essential travel" in those areas. U.S. Department of State also advise: "Reconsider travel to: Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, and Songkhla provinces due to civil unrest associated with ongoing insurgent activities".

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

Note that it's monsoon season in the south from October through December. Switching to the west coast after Surat will save you some of the rain, you also avoid Thung Song near NST which is notorious flooding hot spot.

But monsoon rain reduces driver visibility and the ability to stop, so I'd be extra cautious, and make sure your health insurance covers cycling! 

Totally agree with Stocky. November is statistically the rainiest month along the Gulf Coast. You have been warned.

• Thanks 1

I went Mai Sae to BKK to Chumphon, then over to west side down to Krabi and Trang, thence in and out of coastal towns on the west side to Malay border.

I've drive from ST south through NST to Hat Yai.   I thought much more traffic there.

Fellow on u-tube called "bike 360”, has got several videos of his southern biking trips.  I ran into him in Krabi.  We had a few beers and chatted.  Interesting chap.

• Thanks 2

I biked from Surat Thani down the east coast to the border.  Then came back up along the west coast to Phuket.  That was in late May first part of June in 1999.  I was quite familiar with the south of Thailand and the issues going on down there but never had or saw any problems.  

You could also check out crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals where there are a lot of journals of people's trips.  They have a search function that helps a lot.  I also second the idea of looking at Youtube for some other opinions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1