Republican hardliner Steve Scalise drops out of House speaker race

Social Media

image.png

“I just shared with my colleagues that I’m withdrawing my name as a candidate for speaker-designee,” Scalise said as he emerged from the closed-door meeting at the Capitol, where he first informed fellow Republican colleagues of his decision.

Scalise, a hardline conservative representing Louisiana, said the Republican majority “still has to come together and is not there”.

“There are still some people that have their own agendas,” Scalise said. “And I was very clear, we have to have everybody put their agendas on the side and focus on what this country needs.”

Next steps are uncertain as the House is now essentially closed, while the Republican majority tries to elect a speaker after a small number of them voted alongside Democrats to oustKevin McCarthy from the job.

The standoff over the speakership, which was sparked by the hard-right Florida congressman Matt Gaetz, has left congressional business at a standstill, with many Republican lawmakers furious at the degree of division within their party – and how voters are likely to judge them for their inability to govern.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

1 hour ago, Tug said:

He should have made a deal with some democrats so he could thumb his nose at the magganuts and function in a bipartisan manner as the system is designed to do.that beeing said I really don’t blame him sounds like a miserable job

He refused to go that route:

McCarthy says he won’t give Democrats anything in exchange for support as Speaker

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4235572-mccarthy-says-he-wont-give-democrats-anything-in-exchange-for-support-as-speaker/

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

The Dems should make a deal with a few moderate Republicans.  They'd only need around 5 or 6.  Then they can vote to make Hakeem Jeffries House Speaker.  That would be freakin hilarious. 

Hilarious and, weirdly, it might even be the most likely scenario if the House is going to function at all before the end of next year ...

• Like 2

My mood has been boosted the last few weeks just watching the republican party fall into chaos and China imploding.

In both cases they did it to themselves and deserve what they get.

Let the good times roll!

Childish and gratuitous I know, but I just don't care anymore.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

Hilarious and, weirdly, it might even be the most likely scenario if the House is going to function at all before the end of next year ...

Hakeem woulds surely focus on the job, and with his talents and skills put the MAGA buffoons feet to the fire on a regular basis, from the Speakers chair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I fail to see how Trump loosing the election would be bad for America.

I fail to see Trump making a gracious concession speech.

The last time Trump lost the immediate result was the January 6 insurrection

Should America survive Trump, then what?

Does the Republican Party regain its sanity or does it lurch further to the right?

Will a new demagogue will emerge?

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How many people will it take to scupper the nation?

Trump didn’t have enough last time, it would be utter stupidity to give him a second go, because rest assured he will put an end to democracy in America if given another chance.

How fragile is democracy?

How many members of "well armed militias" would it take to bring the whole show crashing down as they vent their rage at another "stolen election"?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

I fail to see Trump making a gracious concession speech.

The last time Trump lost the immediate result was the January 6 insurrection

Should America survive Trump, then what?

Does the Republican Party regain its sanity or does it lurch further to the right?

Will a new demagogue will emerge?

How fragile is democracy?

How many members of "well armed militias" would it take to bring the whole show crashing down as they vent their rage at another "stolen election"?

Potential insurrectionists may have drawn some lessons after knowing the sentences given to the Jan.6 rioters.

• Thumbs Up 2