Nice low cost for 65yo

This is not me but I'm wondering where someone who has got to go the "2 year jail sentence" for portability say who is 65 or older can go live cheaply if they just had 2 years to do before they went back to Asia 

I saw a Aussie guy on YouTube who was 66yo currently living in the Philippines past 10 years asking where he could do the 2 years as he couldn't afford Sydney 

I'm thinking caravan parks on the Queensland sunshine coast would be ideal for someone ?

I'm basing this on someone  who say who had live off the Centrelink/ pension and or savings they had rather than a home owner .

They would have to be low cost ,safe areas ,close to shops ,medical ,Centrelink etc 

I guess you could even just buy a van and travel for 2 years??

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm thinking caravan parks on the Queensland sunshine coast would be ideal for someone ?

I know of an Expat who went back just before Covid and returned mid year after doing his time, he did live in a caravan park for that time, said he paid about $200-$230 per week, however there was a waiting list of about 1,000 people today.

I'm basing this on someone  who say who had live off the Centrelink/ pension and or savings they had rather than a home owner .

I don't believe it would be feasible for someone who is looking at returning to do the "2 year ail term" at age 65 to live off of the Job Seeker Allowance or at 67 to live off of the Age Pension for those two years.

I guess you could even just buy a van and travel for 2 years??

That could be an option, but what would the fuel costs be, I suppose you could make it feasible, if you know where your going and able to stop at places that accommodate caravans, e.g. somewhere near beaches, because I am sure you would have to hook up stuff to make it comfortable, like running water, electricity etc, and then you have maintenance, registration and repairs (if any). I like this idea, maybe worth looking into.

I have mentioned in another post that I intend on returning in a couple of years when I turn 65 to do the 2 year jail term, however, having done the feasibility on it, I would need to work and earn $62,000 per year, after taking tax and Medicare cost out, a rental figure of $600 per week for something decent for a single guy about 15km out of Sydney, that would leave me with about $400 a week to live on, which I can top up with savings if required, that said, it would be public transport, no car as the costs associated with one wouldn't be worth it.

Would have to either walk to work or public transport, and whenever I require a car, just hire one for the day, free 100km usually comes with it.

Furniture would have to be from various places like a garage sale (moving interstate or going overseas, electricals would have to be new for warranty purposes, or I could just rent it all, haven't looked into that part of it yet.

If you can't or don't want to work, then perhaps renting a room in a shared accommodation situation, e.g. unit, house with strangers, not for me.

But like I said, Job Seeker and or the Age Pension in Oz would be a struggle, last I heard a single lime cost $1.80, a 1/4 of a watermelon cost $16, forget eating out or living off of pies if you value your health, as I am and always have been a healthy eater.

Be interested to know what you come up with, if anything.

I guess a combination of Centrelink benefits and savings 

Unless your a tradespeople or professional going to be hard to find a job at 65

Even then physical work will be hard 

I'm thinking cheaper to share in country areas  , Wagga ,Moree ,Bourke if living in NSW 

I never been to the country only Sydney but I guess I could do 2 years out in the country 

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm thinking cheaper to share in country areas  , Wagga ,Moree ,Bourke if living in NSW 

I never been to the country only Sydney but I guess I could do 2 years out in the country 

I don't believe it will be that hard finding a job at 65, SEEK and ye shall find.

It just depends on the type of existence you want to have during those 2 years, the country life can be boring for some, especially if your not used to it, that said, I live in the bush here and love it, but have all the things I need to keep me comfortable and a local community of expats which I enjoy.

When and if I go back I would have to be in the same area as I lived as it's within walking distance of shopping centres, hospitals, bay, train and bus stations and I love to walk, can't do that here, too hot.

I looked at campervans and campervan sites, you can rent a cabin in places not to far out of Sydney for about $250 a week, but I couldn't do that, need my comforts and am prepared to work for them, but each to there own, besides working will make the time go quicker.

Good point about make the time go quicker.

I was able to rent a nice one bed apartment in a War vets village nth of Sydney. (I'm a Vietnam war vet.)

Massive rent reduction from commercial rates.

The 2 years went by in a flash. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 2:02 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I don't believe it will be that hard finding a job at 65, SEEK and ye shall find.

Wrong.

Where's the last time you went back to Australia? 

How many 65 year olds are working in blue collar jobs back there? 

You have no idea, as usual. 

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, scorecard said:

Good point about make the time go quicker.

I was able to rent a nice one bed apartment in a War vets village nth of Sydney. (I'm a Vietnam war vet.)

Massive rent reduction from commercial rates.

The 2 years went by in a flash. 

Why do you constantly post about the old age pension when you are on a vet pension?  They are very different pensions in amounts, and benefits. 

• 3 weeks later...

As that bloke found out the hard way, going back to 'serve out the 2 years' is not the way to do it.

You go back because now because you are getting the age pension and benfits, and therefore you can now afford to live in Australia - permanently.

Anything - ANY THING - that makes it look like you are merely do it to then p-off in 2 years can be denied.

You must make it look like you are returning permanently - the rules have changed - portability is not a 'right' nor is the pension.

Rent a cheap 1 bedroom unit somewhere and claim the rental subsidy.

Open bank accounts, get a driving licence, get club memberships, etc etc etc  - make it look like you are staying (forever).

Report everything you are doing to Clink - write a letter and upload it online.

Update your assets and liabilities - try to save up some money - apply for jobs (you wont get anything of course).

Do your tax returns - and do not go visit Thailand or anywhere else overseas.

Do not say to anyone that you are planning to return to Thailand - no one.

CLink gets a lot of 'reports' - especially about old blokes going overseas from old women whose hubby 'spilled the beans' on another bloke.

Then - after 2 years and 3 months in Aust - ring CLink and ask what the rules are about portability - ask can you visit OSeas.

Say it is too expensive to live in Australia and that you are getting nowhere - and you cannot find a job to top up the pension - bla bla bla.

Dont mention Thailand, other than saying you are thinking of maybe living on Bali, or Philippines, or Thailand, or Vietnam - because cheaper.

Say you have spoken to a few blokes down the club and they have said how cheap it is - and that Thailand was much cheaper too.

2-3 months later send a letter to Clink saying you are going to stay with an old friend in Thailand for a few months.

2 months later send a letter to Clink saying you are going to stay in Thailand for maybe a year or so.

Stay.   All Done.

There are blokes being denied the pension and/or portability, because they spoke too much and CLink decided that they never inteneded to stay living in Australia.  The rule is simple (idiotic but simple). Yopu must be in Australia to apply, and you must intend to stay permanently in Australia. Once you have the Pension and have 'qualified' - then you can 'change your mind' and moive overseas and keep the pension.

I did it in reverse - I returned to Australia 5 years before pension age and waited. 

Told everyone I was staying - did all thsoe things above and a lot more. 

2 months after getting the pension I moved back to Thailand - no problems.

CLink is simple - they are all feminist man-haters who despise the idea of an older bloke having fun with young Thai girls.

That is how you MUST view them (not 100% are) - because everything you say and send to them 'will be held against you later'.

Tell them nothing (other than what you have planned). 

Edited by TroubleandGrumpy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I did it in reverse - I returned to Australia 5 years before pension age and waited.

2 years is only required if one was a former resident, according to legislation, i.e. came back and applied as you suggest.

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4

Centrelink can deny them portability, but will need a damn good reason, that said, one can appeal as most do.

For those reasons, I intend on returning at age 65 for 2 years, work, full or part time, then after my 2 years is up, I am out of there, they cannot deny me as I was a resident from 65, I didn't return at 67 as a former resident.

The above path is the cleanest with no issues as one would have been in the country for 2 years prior to the application, i.e. a resident, not a non resident returning to claim the aged pension.

5 years is a long time, but each to their own.

48 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

2 years is only required if one was a former resident, according to legislation, i.e. came back and applied as you suggest.

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4

Centrelink can deny them portability, but will need a damn good reason, that said, one can appeal as most do.

For those reasons, I intend on returning at age 65 for 2 years, work, full or part time, then after my 2 years is up, I am out of there, they cannot deny me as I was a resident from 65, I didn't return at 67 as a former resident.

The above path is the cleanest with no issues as one would have been in the country for 2 years prior to the application, i.e. a resident, not a non resident returning to claim the aged pension.

5 years is a long time, but each to their own.

Yes they can dewny you. But I hear you and wish you good luck.  It would be wrong not to respond for you and for others reading.

CLink cannot deny you the Pension - unless you clearly have no intention of living permanently in Australia. There is another thread about a bloke who went back - told them everything about his Thai family and property - was shocked when they denied him the Pension.

But portability is another issue altogther - it is not a right - it is a decision that the CLink Delegate can deny if they decide you never really intended to stay in Australia. The 2 years rule was implemented as an immediate 'block' for those coming back, getting it, and leaving the next day (so to speak). But indefinite portability is something that you have to be given, and it can be withdrawn once given - legally.

Years ago (2012) I had certain things planned - all based on the rules that existed at that time.  I lhad previously ived worked ACT for 20 years and through that I knew many things most did not. But even then, I did not know what happened in the period from 2012 to 2015 when I was first living in Thailand. I was talking to an old mate who said 'wait - things have changed'. I was given a name in the International section of CLink. I called him and he changed my life - it was unbelievable what they had done - my plans were totally screwed by the changes they made.  All the websites had \been changed - and they have been changed a lot since then too - all their old pages and rules and interpretations are permanently removed.  After finding out those changes, rather than waiting until I was age eligible, I decided to go back early (plus there were a few other family issues). I was never going to be denied - I had set things up so that they could not do anythign else.   

My advice to you is to go back earlier than you need to and stay a little longer before coming back. Meahwile go visit another country or two before you go back. Do things liker that and say things (to everyone) that makes it clear you are going back and intend staying forever. Yes get a job and start a new life - make it look very very clear that you are staying.  Then when something happens and you 'need' to go back overseas (find a reason), then and only then, ask what happens depending on how long you stay etc etc etc.  Slowly slowly catchy monkey mate. The nazi feminists in CLink want to stop all older blokes having fun overseas - and the Govt wants to change rules so they have to pay out less.  Not impossible that the Govt will make more changes betwen now and then - all aimed at reducing taxpayer's bills of course - all driven by the ideas and plans of the feminazis. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, georgegeorgia said:

What about the west? I paid 240 AUD for 6 years but didn't have to do 2 years because I found a job before I got laid off 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 7:18 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I returned to Australia 5 years before pension age and waited. 

It took you 5 years to create the illusion you were home for good, and you could have done the same in 2 years. 

Ahh, yes, but you know a lot about this issue.  :cheesy:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

It took you 5 years to create the illusion you were home for good, and you could have done the same in 2 years. 

Ahh, yes, but you know a lot about this issue.  :cheesy:

My Thai wife became a Citizen too - and a few other things happened with the family too (including Mother passed away).

What a <deleted>. Blocked. 

On 12/7/2023 at 6:11 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

My Thai wife became a Citizen too - and a few other things happened with the family too (including Mother passed away).

What a <deleted>. Blocked. 

So you chose to do 5 years.  That's different to many people that only want to do the qualifying period for portability.