Thai worker pays 50,000 baht for flight home amid conflict zone chaos

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai worker who purchased his own flight ticket back to Thailand revealed the dire situation in a conflict-ridden zone. He disclosed that several of his friends who lost their lives could not be repatriated due to ongoing identity verification. He decided to take matters into his own hands, spending over 50,000 baht (US$ 1,377) on his journey home.

According to Boonchai Saeya, the long waiting queue for repatriation prompted him to make this decision. Normally, flight tickets from non-risk zones wouldn’t cost as much. However, he had to cover high costs due to translation fees and the risky nature of the area. His primary aim was to return to Thailand as quickly as possible, vowing never to work in Israel again due to the trauma experienced, reported Sanook.

On the other hand, another Thai worker who returned today divulged that a group of Hamas had infiltrated his residence, seemingly well-prepared to hold Thai people hostage. They even attempted to lure them out by speaking Thai, greeting them with “Hello, Thai people”. One of his friends almost fell for the ruse and came out, but he managed to prevent it just in time.

by Samantha Rose

Picture courtesy of Sanook

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

50,000 is only a fraction of the amount of immigration fees and scams I have paid.  This recent news gives me a warm feeling inside.

Just read about Americans payipayingg 5k to get home.  sounds ridiculous for countries not to be able to help their own peple

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The problem is Thai's are such dodgy bastards they need visa's for virtually every where they cant just jump o the first plane out to the nearest place, Im guessing many of them are there illegally as they cant be identified to me means no documents,

Us Brits can fly anywhere I now know of 2 guys who got out of there by flying to Cyprus then back to the UK after a few beers, 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

And the Thai government doesn't want to take sides.

TAT will  be offering shelter to fleeing Palestinians in Gazza soon.

Free visa on entry and a sim card.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

It is a disgrace for any civilised country not to immediatly charter air support, do the diplomatic job in the wings if necessary , in order to immediately repatriate on a complementary basis,  their residents from such shattered countries.

However on considering many rich european countries that did not bulge to help their own stuck in Israël, what can one expect in poorer nations ? It seems a global trend where policy makers and politicians are totally unconcerned and indifferent towards the needs of their people.

Very difficult situation regards repatriation (military planes) and getting people out of problem areas etc. Glad the guy was in the position to use own resources and get out… 50k is s bargain under the circs. 

But unsurprising to see a complete lack of empathy here; more of the usual anti-Thai quips ad nauseam. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Certainly not cheap but in my experience one way tickets are often as or more expensive than roundtrip ones.

There's mention of 'translation fees'. I've no idea if that implies buying the ticket through some agent, and possibly being hit with a hefty commission.