Thailand needs to calm down it's rush to EV !

TorquayFan

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Which would you rather buy, a car that costs 1 baht per km or one that costs 3-5 baht per km?

The problem with BAVs is that batteries are heavy , a BAV is twice as heavy as a FCAV. So a significant percentage of the energy goes toward deriving around batteries, a plus is that they are bottom heavy, have a low CG and consequently handle well..

I have nothing against BAV , I will probably get one in the next couple of years ICE is out, but IMO they are a transitional technology while we develop  a hydrogen economy

. Then again I could be wrong , it's not like I never been wrong before. LOL. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Bunch of Luddites here on the forum. Must love breathing in toxic fumes. Can't really understand their position. Can you imagine Bangkok with the majority of vehicles being EV's? I might move there! Sure, it’s not perfect yet but a real opportunity for Thailand to clean up their cities.

+1

Look no further than China, at the efforts they have made to clean up the air in their major cities. Close to 50% of all vehicles on Shanghai streets are EVs. Only a doofus would not admit that EVs are better for cleaner air in cities. 

Sadly, I still own 2 diesel pickups and I can smell the odious fumes that emit from. But I don’t have a choice as they are work vehicles.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Did you mean Battery Electric Vehicles?

No I Meant Battery  Absurd Vehicles (BAV) Get your head in the game will you? 

H2 is a deception promoted by the fossil fuel industry and I can’t believe people are still falling for it

It all o started by the big Fossil fuel industry companies , like Honda and Toyota. 

The number of hydrogen refuelling stations in the UK has dwindled from 15 in 2021 to just 5 now”

I am surprised it has any, 

Do they put the cart before the horse in the UK? 

Where I come from, first you get a horse and then perhaps you get a cart perhaps you don't. 

Same with FCEV 

Edited by sirineou

Hi Bandersnatch,

I'm not sure why you have posted that link to the Fire Service report which I find inconclusive. The last I heard, the site of the fire had not yet been accessed at all due to the post-fire instability of the whole car park structure.

I noted this from your link - "Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service’s fire investigation team will be working closely with Bedfordshire Police to get a better understanding of what happened on Tuesday evening, and why."

Seems early days as to the cause . . .

I thought you might also enjoy this B :-

"Car park spaces should become wider and burning electric cars dunked in baths of water, under proposed government guidelines to prevent battery fires spreading out of control. Ministers have been told that battery-powered vehicles pose a medley of risks in indoor car parks, which could render 1960s-era fire safety laws dangerously out of date.

Areas of concern addressed in a government-commissioned report included explosions of flammable vapour clouds emitted by electric vehicle batteries, as well as jets of fire and toxic water run-off from firefighting.

The report, from consultancy Arup, which makes a series of recommendations for changes to fire safety rules, said that there was a “high degree of uncertainty” about data on the fire risks of electric cars and that it is “not yet understood” whether their batteries become more of a fire hazard with age."

And : "Solutions presented in the report included increased space between parked cars as well as greater distance between indoor car parks to manage the risk of fire spreading between cars and buildings. It said indoor and multi-story car parks should adopt larger parking bays to help firefighters reach burning vehicles, with one example in the report proposing a 90cm to 1.2 metre gap between vehicles. It comes as residents of a Labour-run council in London fight to block plans to build an electric bus garage under a development of thousands of new flats amid fears battery fires could cause a “volcano”. "

The same article refers to an incident in Potters Bar in May 2023 when six electric buses were destroyed when one caught fire.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/net-zero/burning-electric-cars-dunked-baths-water-stop-fires-spread/

That's it ! ATB

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

There are no balanced information sources.

They are all either biased 'for' or 'against'.

I think it depends on what info, one seeks or needs.

I've posted the 'cycles' of LFP batteries, and source I use, states about 2500 via 'their testing'.

Many think it's more like 5000 or even 10k has been quoted.  So I stick with the extreme negative of 2500 (some state 2k-4k), and if even half true, that's enough info for me, as we'll never put 500k kms on any vehicle, or actually want to.   Though it would be a classic by that time.  And pretty cool to have.

EV fires .... that's simply, ask the people that pay the insurance claims if wanting something accurate.  Not the anti EV/CH YT'er that reports it's a common every day accordance in every Chinese city.

How do EVs perform vs ICEVs ... again, ask the folks that have owned both.  Not the folks who haven't even test drove them, since make by CH, they have to be crap.

Are they the perfect product and going to save the planet, NO, and anyone thinking that is a bit delusional.

Are EVs better that ICEVs, and or fall short of iCEVs, yes, of course, both have their pros & cons.  Some based on facts, some based on personal choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

EV fires .... that's simply, ask the people that pay the insurance claims if wanting something accurate.  Not the anti EV/CH YT'er that reports it's a common every day accordance in every Chinese city.

UK insurance companies are reportedly ditching EVs.

• Like 1

Has anyone else seen video footage of the original burning vehicle at Luton airport? It appears to be in transit not in a parking space. Therefore it had a Driver (presumably) who should be able to identify the vehicle involved. With 1200 vehicles and a car park written off, I think it would be nice to know . . . .

A slightly dodgy video IMO, but the picture of the car on fire, if genuine , is curious . . . .

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

Very few things written in the press in general are unequivocally true, but this is. The mad rush for EVs led by early adopters that have wasted their money and are trying to persuade the rest of us to validate their view of the merits of EVs. What are they going to say when trying to sell an EV with a four years old battery? Who' his going to pay big bucks for that? No one that's who....the deprecation ion these vehicles will be massive. What will happen when you can't find an insurer to insure your EV? What will happen when you have a small accident and it costs half of the price of the vehicle because the battery cover is cracked? Where will you park the EV when private parking lots decided that there is too much risk insuring fire prone evs? Where are you going to dump the toxic battery when it is time to change it? (I'm sure that will be free). What will you do when, Like in the UK they insist that you use a separate meter with a much higher rate for electricity to charge your battery. Whatever happened to free electrical roadside chargers. 

No I will be smart for the first time in may life and let others waste their hard earned cash on these foolish toys, and I'll with until the problems are fixed with EV Mark II or Mark III are available at lower prices.

I'll let you non-EV owners worry about all of that.

I just renewed my insurance, only because people are a bit suicidal here.   In the USA, I didn't have car insurance for decades.  Yet to need it here.

Yet to be shunned  anywhere because I'm driving an EV.   Matter of fact, many vendors now cater to me, providing cables, sometimes free to charge up while there.  THANKS

Any petrol pumps at your restaurant or hotels you frequent ?  How about topping up that tank while you're shopping ?

Why THANK YOU very much ????

My glass is running over ... is yours half full yet?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Read the news, an EV owner recently charged $20,000 to replace his battery after water ingress.

I can pay 500 baht for a burger from one vendor, but doesn't mean I have to, when someone else is selling for 250 baht.

Live by one's choice, for that amount, I'd simply buy a new EV, for less, or just a tad more than 700k baht.

One born every minute ...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I can pay 500 baht for a burger from one vendor, but doesn't mean I have to, when someone else is selling for 250 baht.

Live by one's choice, for that amount, I'd simply buy a new EV, for less, or just a tad more than 700k baht.

One born every minute ...

Really, he's just bought a new Tesla, cost him maybe $70,000. Is he just supposed to throw it away? He has no choice but to buy the new battery.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Has anyone else seen video footage of the original burning vehicle at Luton airport? It appears to be in transit not in a parking space. Therefore it had a Driver (presumably) who should be able to identify the vehicle involved. With 1200 vehicles and a car park written off, I think it would be nice to know . . . .

A slightly dodgy video IMO, but the picture of the car on fire, if genuine , is curious . . . .

That report matches this article from 11th October

GREAT ESCAPE 

Luton Airport fire: Driver leapt from burning car that ‘started’ blaze while it was still moving to escape horror death

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/24365304/luton-airport-fire-driver-leapt-burning-car/

Thanks Vinny - Hadn't seen that but maybe the Driver can  tell us what he was driving !

Bandersnatch - I posted the video to show the vehicle burning in the 'aisle'. As for the Fire Officer, yes but investigations are in early stages - I'm not even sure if they've accessed the unsafe building yet. Whatever is proven to have started the fire in the end, there is no doubt that EV contributed to this unprecented conflagration. Shocking !

• Thanks 1