Tracking the growing Shinawatra influence in new Thai government

webfact

10 hours ago, jippytum said:

Asian people are blind to people that rob them. Remember the Marcos family in the Philipines. Won every election then fled to America with millions.Remaining family members however are still popular with voters. 

Same with the Shinawatra clan they will corrupt the senate to ensure future elections and add to their ill gotten gains for 

Yes, true, although there is difference between Thailand and the Philippines. The majority of Thais, especially educated Thais, got wise to these kleptocrats, as the recent election showed. The Pinoys seem to keep falling for the false promises of the 'populist ' elites.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

You have two Southeast Asian cultures whose leaders stole from them. From that you conclude "Asian people are blind to people that rob them". So it's because the people are stupid, is that it? Is that supposed to represent logic? 2 + 2 = 5? What, are those leaders supposed to fully disclose what they do? Seriously? Meanwhile most other cultures have had leaders who do the same thing, some a little more under the radar than others, most never get caught and are purposefully invisible to the general public. USA included. The US Supreme Court has recently been exposed as corrupt and beholden to billionaires. But it's because the American people are blind, right? You possess the classic mind of a bigot, to whom every conclusion is molded into your prejudices and favorite stereotypes. Nobody is "blind" if the corrupt leaders are simply expert con artists and able to hide their misdeeds, which means just abut all of them and not just your "Asians".

Hm,..Great reply and well written !!! You just made my day !!! thx !

11 hours ago, nickmondo said:

its really none of our business.

yes, its obvious what is happening here........but we are not Thai, and we choose to live here or not...........for now at least we have that choice....

before we start criticising Thai politics, we should all take a long hard look at our own governments, especially UK and US

A good point. I do spend as much time criticising both the government and the opposition in the UK, but not on Asean Now of course. The trouble here though is also a matter of 2,500 lives which people seem to have forgotten.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Anyone who lives in, or even visits, Thailand, is paying a lot in taxes to varying degrees, that funds this s**t show. We all have every right to criticize them. 

No they don't. A person spending 60k pm barely pays b150 per day in consumption tax. In most US states that is equal to their sales tax alone or less. Bank account interest is 15% of like 1.5%.

I pay tax 20-25% tax here plus VAT. You?

Edited by Jelli
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Irish star said:

Executing people in dead of night , 3,000 + , this iOS your hero , buying votes also , you sound like a kid 

Your Heros the Army shot, murder unarmed civilians and nurses with NO ONE being held accountable. You sound like a Hamasa supporter. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/16/2023 at 8:03 AM, nickmondo said:

its really none of our business.

yes, its obvious what is happening here........but we are not Thai, and we choose to live here or not...........for now at least we have that choice....

before we start criticising Thai politics, we should all take a long hard look at our own governments, especially UK and US

I am a permanent resident, own businesses here, employ thousands of Thais and pay tax into the coffers of this government.

Sorry, but it definitely is my business. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2023 at 2:29 AM, Lopburikid said:

Your Heros the Army shot, murder unarmed civilians and nurses with NO ONE being held accountable. You sound like a Hamasa supporter. 

What’s Hamasa? Is it the female branch of Hamas?

Situation is actually quite simple. Thaksin had been booted out of office in 2006 and left Thailand for good in 2008 just to return 15 years later. 
So, if a man got kicked out 17 years ago and still can call the shots, then it does not only tell you what this man is all about and what he can do. It also clearly proves the absolute inability of this country to get a decent government together. Be it a coup d'etat or a couple of elections; they all have one thing in common - they cannot get their act together. 

And then we are told, that Thailand is run democratically? Asking me I would put the one-eyed before the blind and then the consequence on leadership becomes very, very clear - me thinks! 

On 10/16/2023 at 11:09 AM, paul1804 said:

Thai politics not much different to many other countries, notably the USA & Russia! The USA gets their intelligence organisation to assassinate their unwanted leaders and with the VP of the day in cohorts. In Thailand they just go into exile and when the dust has settled cruise back in. 

Well You dont know much about thai history 

• Like 1

Thaskin is a very bad man and should be in jail for War Crimes, 

Lawers for the ICC are pursuing a case against Thaskin for war crimes on his "war on drugs" and nearly 3000 deaths

Thaksin's clear culpability in the matter of his 2003 "war on drugs", and following on, his responsibility for igniting the ethnic-religious conflict in the deep South. For more than 10 years now Thaksin has evaded responsibility for these _ the most heinous of his crimes.

"Lawyers have suggested that Thaksin's drug war might amount to a crime against humanity under Article Seven of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court [ICC], set up in 1992."

And they want to release him  "God forbid"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2023 at 1:22 AM, off road pat said:

It's not only Asian people !,.. I just read a file that the Argentine people also like to elect well known corrupt people in high office over and over again !!!,..I think the fine art of thinking and reflecting on the past has been lost and replaced by fake popularity on the internet. 

This should surely apply to the highly civilised Liberal Democracies [whatever that is] who have managed to mangle and convince the populous that their historic base is free of criminality and corruption, yet are clearly the leaders of skullduggery, scallywaggery and blatant corruption and moral misappropriations. 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2023 at 8:04 AM, jippytum said:

Asian people are blind to people that rob them. Remember the Marcos family in the Philipines. Won every election then fled to America with millions.Remaining family members however are still popular with voters. 

Same with the Shinawatra clan they will corrupt the senate to ensure future elections and add to their ill gotten gains for decades. 

I am still waiting to hear how the last PM became so filthy rich in the few years he was in power.