Felicia, 25, in a coma after accident on Samui - family struggling to bring her home

webfact

5 minutes ago, BusyB said:

I'm not sure whether the 'person who drove Felicia', which I assume you're referring to, is the driver of her scooter or the person who DROVE INTO her.

How on Earth did that gobbledygook ever get past a second pair of eyes?

I just found further up the thread, someone's translated it and the original apparently says 'the person who 'HIT' Felicia ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Travel insurance should probably be required to cover all circumstances, leave it up to the courts in their home countries to assign liability (i.e. Insurance company, insured) when the insured gets back in-country. They should also make insurance mandatory before even getting on an airplane. Yeah, rates will probably go up, but having more people required to carry it, might actually bring the costs more inline with current ones. The rates could also be adjusted, denied, and based on current risks (driving records, credit rating, criminal history, etc.).

So, a 50-year-old, non-drinking/doping married couple travelling by tour bus has to pay the same for travel insurance as twenty-year-old kids getting loaded, riding around without helmets and climbing on balconies, yes?

To be clear, I have nothing against twenty-year-old kids getting loaded, riding around without helmets and climbing on balconies and participating in all manner of jackassery, but I do not think I should have to subsidize them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

No mention of a crash helmet, no mention if she had a motorbike licence (ie experienced rider), medical insurance expired etc etc.  I wish her well, but yet again (sigh), we have a situation which probably didn't need to happen...

It seems as if she was a passenger. Other than that it's the questions we always ask.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Felicia's travel insurance had expired when the accident occurred. Her accident insurance does not cover the full hospital costs either.

Sad, sad story; and again a case where there is no insurance. It's extremely important when you travel, to have an insurance with repatriation.

Samui is infamous of moped and motorbike accidents. I've seen a number of foreigners skidding on the motorbike right in front of my car; they are lucky that I pay attention and never drives too fast. However, there can easily be cases, where you can do nothing to avoid an accident, if a motorbike skids in front of you. 

19 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, a 50-year-old, non-drinking/doping married couple travelling by tour bus has to pay the same for travel insurance as twenty-year-old kids getting loaded, riding around without helmets and climbing on balconies, yes?

To be clear, I have nothing against twenty-year-old kids getting loaded, riding around without helmets and climbing on balconies and participating in all manner of jackassery, but I do not think I should have to subsidize them. 

Obviously the credit rating of your 50 yr old couple would be much higher than the 20 yr old. Thus cheaper rates.

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, rgrdns said:

It astonished me again the hospital costs here (foreigners), SEK 3.29 to 1 BHT....164,500 p/day?? 

Intensive care in a private hospital. My friend caught his finger in a gate so his Thai GF took him to a local private hospital as he has travel insurance. His finger was sorted and they wanted to keep him in over night - he declined and paid his 15,400 baht bill. They told him to return every day for the dressing to be changed at a cost of 1,500 baht but I took him to a local clinic who did it for 200 baht. So those prices do not surprise me if she's in a private clinic.

26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How does the credit rating affect the price of insurance? 

You've never heard of a Credit Based insurance score? Maybe it's only a USA thing, but it does exist. But in either case, unless the 50 yr olds never held insurance before, or are accident prone, their rates would be better than someone 20 yrs old with a shorter history.

1 minute ago, lordgrinz said:

You've never heard of a Credit Based insurance score? Maybe it's only a USA thing, but it does exist. But in either case, unless the 50 yr olds never held insurance before, or are accident prone, their rates would be better than someone 20 yrs old with a shorter history.

For travel insurance? I'm from the US, I've purchase travel insurance any number of times and I think you're just making it up. 

5 hours ago, BE88 said:

Another tragedy, but how can you go on holiday in Thailand, famous for its terrible insecurity roads without any insurance?

The average tourist don't know anything about Thailand, except what the tourist brochures show !!!

Smiling faces, beautiful people on coconut beaches, beautiful temples, great and inexpensive food !

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

For travel insurance? I'm from the US, I've purchase travel insurance any number of times and I think you're just making it up. 

My original post was a hypothetical way to handle the travel insurance issue. High risk people should pay higher rates, obviously that would tend to be the younger generation, or those with bad history in the risk department.

My original post was a hypothetical way to handle the travel insurance issue. High risk people should pay higher rates, obviously that would tend to be the younger generation, or those with bad history in the risk department.

So you were making it up, that's what I thought.

Compelling everyone to pay for coverage of reckless behavior they have no intention of participating in, subsidizes the coverage for people that do participate in that kind of behavior. 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So you were making it up, that's what I thought.

Compelling everyone to pay for coverage of reckless behavior they have no intention of participating in, subsidizes the coverage for people that do participate in that kind of behavior. 

If you own and drive a car, you pay for insurance, if you own a home you pay for insurance. If you travel to a foreign country, why should you not pay for insurance first? Or are you ok with foreigners sticking the bill to the host country? Someone has to cover the risk of the risky, or maybe deny the risky individuals a boarding pass.

If you own and drive a car, you pay for insurance, if you own a home you pay for insurance. If you travel to a foreign country, why should you not pay for insurance first? Or are you ok with foreigners sticking the bill to the host country? Someone has to cover the risk of the risky, or maybe deny the risky individuals a boarding pass.

I am fine with paying for insurance. I just do not want to pay to for coverage of risky behavior I have no interest in participating in. Let the people that want to participate in those behaviors pay for that coverage. 

Your plan to mandate all travel insurance covers people riding motorcycles, getting drunk and climbing on balconies drives the cost up significantly for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I am fine with paying for insurance. I just do not want to pay to for coverage of risky behavior I have no interest in participating in. Let the people that want to participate in those behaviors pay for that coverage. 

Your plan to mandate all travel insurance covers people riding motorcycles, getting drunk and climbing on balconies drives the cost up significantly for everyone. 

That doesn't mean the insurance company can't bring the insured to court for reimbursement, these individuals should also be blacklisted from foreign travel as well. I am just suggesting the coverage for foreign travel should cover hospital and repatriation expenses. If the policy says no riding a motorcycle, then you will be liable after repatriation for all costs, if that means you lose your house and they take from future salary, well that's on you.

6 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

That doesn't mean the insurance company can't bring the insured to court for reimbursement, these individuals should also be blacklisted from foreign travel as well. I am just suggesting the coverage for foreign travel should cover hospital and repatriation expenses. If the policy says no riding a motorcycle, then you will be liable after repatriation for all costs, if that means you lose your house and they take from future salary, well that's on you.

Right, good luck with that. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Top comment! Unfortunately, the 20 year old's will continue to do so. Even those with appropriate licences and insurance will invalidate their cover by this behaviour. They will wind up in the ITU. Who should foot their bill? 

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Top comment! Unfortunately, the 20 year old's will continue to do so. Even those with appropriate licences and insurance will invalidate their cover by this behaviour. They will wind up in the ITU. Who should foot their bill? 

Just like the suckers that work and save their money are compelled to pay for those that don't...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Right, good luck with that. 

Since only about 6% of travellers even buy travel medical insurance, if it were to be mandated, it would probably have no problem covering the risky people. I say just mandate it, and charge the riskier travelers a higher rate. I doubt you would even notice any increased costs to yourself.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Later in the article:

"The person who drove Felicia has been questioned by the police and released without a report being drawn up. For a report, the family needs to do it themselves, but it is a last resort. They have contact with a lawyer on site and there may be a report if it is a way for them to get further help."

I believe that means "The person who drove into Felicia [after she skidded] has been questioned by the police and released...", as the full article suggested happened.

From the OP...

"At the same time, another moped driver came from behind and tried to overtake Felicia and her crashed moped. During the overtaking, Felicia received a violent blow to the head..."

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Are all these media companies so cheap that they can't pay a NES to flick an eye over the copy before publishing?

Media such as Asean Now are aggregators that republish articles from other sources and are not permitted to alter them, regardless of the quality of the content.

Edited by Liverpool Lou