If Thailand refused you, where would you live? And why?

sidjameson

17 minutes ago, roger101 said:

The one thing Immigration did change was the requirement for 65,000 baht a month. Before it was 65,000 a month or 780,000 Baht a year.

Now it's at least 65,000 Baht a month. Not 60,000 this month and 70,000 next month. I'm worried that a mistake on my part (0r the banks) could result in one month with a low payment which would invalidate my visa. Even though I transfer over 1,000,000 Baht a year.

That's going to depend on the IO in that Imm office.  As my first year on retirement from marriage, my first 2 months didn't have 65k (Nov/Dec).  But since a retirement, and for the year onward, after that 5+% COLA, with better exchange rate, the ttl year was over 900k, I think, and they get to use their discretion.   Marriage visa, and NO, that wouldn't work, as they wouldn't even send that to BKK.

With new 3.2% COLA, (2024), I think I'm shy of or just over 1M now.  Hua Hin office pretty good, as remember one year, on marriage, I screwed something up and the deposits didn't show right, and just gave me a 30 day extension, and told my to stick 400k in bank, and he sent paperwork away, dated after the deposit, and approved 30 days later.  Even met me on a Sunday at his house/Imm office.  

They have a lot of flexibility, IF, they like you.  Didn't want a tip or bottle of JW, just a couple of straight up nice guys that office.  Since I live 100 kms away from Imm office, it comes in handy, as bank screwed up one time, and gave me the wrong 'credit advice' from a different account (not mine), and he just told them to fax/send it to him.   Instead of 'go get & return tmr' 👍

I've also been here 23 yrs and good little boy.  

7 hours ago, MichaelHunt said:

I lived in the south of Vietnam, and my friends there told me that even they don't find the northerners very friendly. Once I met a very friendly and helpful guy at the reception of my hotel in Sapa (his name was Mr. Thai, to my surprise), and it turns out that he was from the deep south of Vietnam. He told me that even he gets overcharged in Hanoi because they can hear that he has a southern accent. So maybe a strategy would be to live in the south and only visit the north for short periods.

Northern Vietnam and Southern Vietnam are 2 different countries. They have troubles to understand each other when they speak Vietnamese. They even have 2 separated immigration systems between the North and the South which can create conflicts for visa extensions depending on the entry point of arrival.

People in the South are much friendlier in my opinion and open to foreigners. Even most Vietnamese people moving to the South agree to that. The North gives a more Chinese vibe in that aspect. The North tends to be more beautiful because the war didn't destroy colonial buildings in Hanoi like in Saigon. Climate is also different with seasons in the North, and tropical in the South.

Regarding visas, it used to be almost unlimited as long you were paying extensions to an agent before covid. They became ultra strict with one month visa for a year or 2 , and now they go back to 3 months visa but it doesn't seem to be as easy as before to stay long term.

Philippines is really the best in the region for visas now.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Theory said:

I've never been to Italy, but if it's all that good what are we doing here.!!!

How about visa ?

It depends on which country you are a citizen of if you need a Visa.

I suggest you contact the Italian embassy in Bangkok to obtain exact informations.

Edited by BE88

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

But where in India ? I don't think all about the same. 

Goa is where most expats go for the winter.  But you will find foreigners living all over in India.  The entire coast is beaches.  There are mountain in the north and south.  You are going to have to adjust and experiment a bit if you want to live in India.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Red Forever said:

"cheaper than Thailand for sure" eh?

Okay then let's compare Bangkok with Madrid 

Hotel a/c with breakfast .....900bt.

Large draught beer in a/c bar in city centre.....99bt.

40km taxi ride...400bt.

Pad Thai street food....60bt.

Rent 1 bed apartment 1month...6 to 8k bt.

There: all the above are prices I observed in Bangkok last week.

Now give Madrid rough equivalents please.

We could argue, bat and ball for ages. I could come up with hotels in BKK costing 100 $ and others in the Canaries Islands (Spain territory just in case) or Alicante, that are 1/3 of the price. I am not trying or need to convince you. All depends where you look and what you are trying to argue. 

But in general when it comes to daily shopping or groceries, health care. Spain is cheaper or similar to Thailand. And wait to see how the plan to tax foreign earnes income hits. It could change the ball game but nobody can really say for the moment. But the doubts persist and many are selling their properties.

Maybe you live in a very tight budget environment in Thailand and good (or bad?9  for you. But go to a western standard supermarket in Bkk or a costal town of Thailand., purchase say 1 big piece of salmon or a huge imported steak (spanish or NW), You may get the point. No hard feelings pal.

Edited by observer90210
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of-living/thailand/spain

Some people seem to be spewing nonsense about all these countries being cheaper.  Spain for example rates 50 to over 70% more expensive.

Best to do some research on these great wonderful cheap places .

I'm calling BS on that website link. I split my time between UK and Thailand and have visited Spain many times. 

How do you define a "basic meal"? 75 baht isn't going to get you much, except a small street food meal perhaps. 

Not even the McDonalds comparison looks correct. McD or Burger King in Bangkok is no cheaper than the UK, it's probably more expensive if anything. Spain is no more expensive than the UK iirc so I remain unconvinced on their methods. 

Several people, including me, have noticed that cost of living nowadays in big cities like Bangkok is not much different to Europe/UK, unless you are living strictly Thai-style low budget. Some things like hotels are much better value for sure, things like clothes, electronics - no. 

Edited by MarkyM3

6 hours ago, Red Forever said:

"cheaper than Thailand for sure" eh?

Okay then let's compare Bangkok with Madrid 

Hotel a/c with breakfast .....900bt.

Large draught beer in a/c bar in city centre.....99bt.

40km taxi ride...400bt.

Pad Thai street food....60bt.

Rent 1 bed apartment 1month...6 to 8k bt.

There: all the above are prices I observed in Bangkok last week.

Now give Madrid rough equivalents please.

He said "Cost of living in Spain in many domains", not all. So you proceed to selective comparisons of 2 capital cities and call out on that. Try a few other cities and regions in Spain vs Thailand for a more balanced comparison.  

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

I will just go back home to a country where I have rights if these arsholes and their stupid regulations decide to kick me out. After ten years and millions of baht spent still being treated like I'm an illegal begging for an extension of stay is honestly tiring.

Yes, Thailand is, arguably, the only country that tries to discourage those with relatively high incomes NOT to retire there.  In the USA and other countries, they try to keep out the poverty-stricken retirees so they won't end up on the street.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

We could argue, bat and ball for ages. I could come up with hotels in BKK costing 100 $ and others in the Canaries Islands (Spain territory just in case) or Alicante, that are 1/3 of the price. I am not trying or need to convince you. All depends where you look and what you are trying to argue. 

But in general when it comes to daily shopping or groceries, health care. Spain is cheaper or similar to Thailand. And wait to see how the plan to tax foreign earnes income hits. It could change the ball game but nobody can really say for the moment. But the doubts persist and many are selling their properties.

Maybe you live in a very tight budget environment in Thailand and good (or bad?9  for you. But go to a western standard supermarket in Bkk or a costal town of Thailand., purchase say 1 big piece of salmon or a huge imported steak (spanish or NW), You may get the point. No hard feelings pal.

I've been to Canary islands and, of course, Bangkok. You are not comparing like to like. Bangkok should be compared to Madrid and Canary Islands to Thai islands like Ko Chang or Ko Samet (and Ibiza should be compared to Phuket. Ibiza is obviously a lot more expensive). 

Now about groceries, they are not a huge part of the budget for many people, so it it's not a huge deal that a piece of salmon or steak costs much more in TH than it does in Spain because unless you're on a tight budget, you compare that price to the cost of going out to a nice restaurant, and it's still cheaper. Same thing with alcohol. 

Health insurance can be an issue but not everyone needs medial care often enough to worry about that. Thailand still offers reasonable prices for health care. 

Finally, check numbeo.com and compare the cost of living in Bangkok vs Madrid. BKK, if i remember correctly, is about 42% of NYC cost of living, and Madrid is more than 50%. 

Edited by uzynkotak
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Brazil/Columbia (girls not my style but close to US is a plus and not too expensive, I think)

Have a friend on the São Paulo plan. He likes the women for their intellect there -but crazy, crazy left-wing. He has to vet for them that he's not a CIA age; this is with otherwise normal woman. But the sex is kinky and white hot.

Prob: Left wing tax rates. He'll dodge and do half the year in São Paulo and the other in Buenos Aires, which means more expense than a single, long-term lease. Also: high rents, medium-crime, too many black beans on the plate. 

I did Mex City. It was in the realm of pretty good, but not a patch on Chiang Mai. Air-conditioned apartments are hard to find.

Tossed out of here? Malaysia. Hopefully with a pot connection that doesn't involve me getting a cane applied to my bottom. Back to the states? Never.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 8:14 PM, observer90210 said:

I lived in Spain (mainly Barcelona) in some years. I recently checked the prices. The rent and inflation have skyrocketed compared to 10 years ago.

Still more affordable compared to other European countries. Andalucia being the cheapest region (with free tapa with your beer).

But housing will be cheaper in Bangkok compared to Barcelona and Madrid. You won't find a decent condo for 400 euros, mainly a crappy room in a flatshare. Local food is cheaper too (you'll never find the equivalent of food courts in Spain). So the essentials will be cheaper in Thailand.

That being said, having a Western lifestyle with dinners in Western places, high end bars will explode your Thai budget. And you will have to pay extra bills like Travel/Healthcare insurance + visa fees. So you might be paying more if you try to replicate the same lifestyle as in your home country. Spanish bars and restaurants are excellent value, some of the best in the Western world.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:21 AM, borderhopper2005 said:

Cambodia. 

The only requirement for the foreign retirees to stay long term is being 55 YO or older.

Absolutely Nothing Else unlike in Thailand.

On entry, pick an Ordinary Visa(can be changed to Retirement Visa valid for 3, 6,12 months through the local travel agents). It costs about U$300- or so.

One good news.  It comes with re-entry permit.

So you don't have to buy Re-Entry permit separately.

And their RV can be extended each year at the same cost.

Their banks also offer a lot more attractive  interest rate for the term deposit than in Thailand.

I am happy with my daily life here.

But at the same time, Plan B is always in my mind just in case.

Thai government might try to kick out foreign retirees  other than the very/super rich in the future.

Hi Borderhopper .

Where in Cambodia did you decide to settle ??

16 hours ago, Gaccha said:

This makes North Vietnam really stand out.

Except that retired foreigners cannot own a car in Vietnam. That removes Vietnam from the list for those who like the freedom, convenience and extra safety (when compared to a bike) of owning a car in retirement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Except that retired foreigners cannot own a car in Vietnam. That removes Vietnam from the list for those who like the freedom, convenience and extra safety (when compared to a bike) of owning a car in retirement. 

Since when ?

I've several friends that live and work in Vietnam, they own cars.

• Like 1