Spending Money - Should I follow my Friends Advice ?

AlienBoy

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

It wont last 6 months either way! 

Depends how imaginative the family and friends are in presenting unmissable opportunities and unavoidable desperate situations where only money can help.. but yep the point is dead on

You would be much safer leaving 100k for funeral and wrapping up expenses finding someone trusted back home to transfer 25k a month with absolutely no exceptions...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

You have good intentions, and good to put a bit aside, but it might be making you serious and cheap and less fun to be around so I would go back to your normal spend for you and your wife, with a bit extra here and there, so you can all have good memories of having a bit of fun in your later years while they will appreciate the bit left behind too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So just add/allow another 2-3k month to your monthly expenses an extra 3k a month could give a bit more enjoyment to both of you, new dress for your wife and a few luxuries. 

3k a month is stuff all. How about 8k a month. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Sounds more like an existence than a lifestyle. I'd cut yourself and the wife a little slack and treat yourselves now and again. 

I agree with the caveat I would treat myself to heck of a lot more quite honestly. Can we assume that the OP's land and house are paid so asset debt is minimal or nothing other than basic stuff?  

If I was 76, I'd be enjoying it all.  Buy what you want. Far too many save for that proverbial rainy day or want to save it for others but you worked for it. I have known some older folks that become so frugal and pass the inheritance off and they receive it and spend it like they stole it.  Why go with out? 

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I agree with the caveat I would treat myself to heck of a lot more quite honestly. Can we assume that the OP's land and house are paid so asset debt is minimal or nothing other than basic stuff?  

If I was 76, I'd be enjoying it all.  Buy what you want. Far too many save for that proverbial rainy day or want to save it for others but you worked for it. I have known some older folks that become so frugal and pass the inheritance off and then spend it like they stole it.  Why go with out? 

My friend is 76, says he has 10 years left, 5 good years. Realistic about it.

A monthly trip or weekly restaurant thing. 

• Sad 1

Just now, bignok said:

My friend is 76, says he has 10 years left, 5 good years. Realistic about it.

A monthly trip or weekly restaurant thing. 

At minimum.  Of course with the OP at 76 one would need to know is his state of mind and desires.  at 76 year old a lot of unknowns in both activity level, health etc.   Some will want to go and have some fun others are sitting in that big easy chair waiting for their ticket to get punched.  

Look at getting the best and secure savings rates available. Also you might find that your wife can get better interest rates than you can.

Interest rates are getting better, so have a good look around

Also, how old is your daughter … she could help her Mother in years to come

Edited by JAS21

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

At minimum.  Of course with the OP at 76 one would need to know is his state of mind and desires.  at 76 year old a lot of unknowns in both activity level, health etc.   Some will want to go and have some fun others are sitting in that big easy chair waiting for their ticket to get punched.  

Even if you live to 90 the best years are pre 85. Body starts breaking down.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

indeed.  I am a long way off from those ages but another thing after re reading the original OP was he didn't really clarify ( not that's its any of our business) how old his wife and daughter are.  That would have a huge influence on what some might say on what to do. If his wife is much younger and his daughter is still in grade school then looking out for their future would probably be the proper thing to do.  However lets say she is close to his age, his daughter has graduated and is working then she is likely the beneficiary for the property and asset anyway so the OP should go burn some cash and enjoy once a month or so 2 week along beach resort trip to have some fun.  In the big picture, far too many variables and not enough info. 

They might waste it in 12 months after he has gone. Might as well enjoy life a bit.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AlienBoy said:

On hearing my good friend’s comment I’m now torn between staying on our current path and not spending any unnecessary money , or throw caution to the wind and stop worrying about what the future

False dichotomy.  You don't have to choose between miserly and spendthrift.

Meet in the middle.

You're 76 with 3 million in the bank.

Assume you'll make it to 90.  Set aside 1 million in a special account to remain untouched until that day.

Take the 2 million and spend down over 14 years.  That would give you around 12,000 baht/month to spend on "extravagances" for you and your wife (not factoring in dividends and interest on the balance).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is obviously not smart at all, even if you had the money in gold for the past 5 years, you would now have had 4.5 million baht already. If you would just get 6% yearly returns that already increases your monthly budget by 15,000 baht without taking out the 3 million. This is your best solution.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1