Phuket to introduce ‘baht bus’ style transport service in tourist hotspot

snoop1130

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

They forgot to add to the application criteria that applicants "must be experienced Taxi Mafia involved in fleecing tourists". I welcome change but can't see this ever happening. Look at the issues caused by Grab and Boilt in Phuket. The established mafia will not allow dilution of their lucrative market. Pattaya is so much easier than Phuket with regard to getting around. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And we wait and see how violently the taxi drivers react and get away with!

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

They will intervene I'm sure

Times are changing, I don't see the taxi drivers blocking things this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Won't take long before they block the Rd preventing them from Traveling and then Threatening the drivers.

What, like they've done with the Smart Bus for the last few years?

I wonder if some of the posters on here have even been to Phuket because they seem totally clueless.

Edited by London Lowf

1 minute ago, London Lowf said:

I wonder if some of the posters on here have even been to Phuket because they seem totally clueless.

Its called Northern Humour and yes i been coming to Phuket since 2008 and fully understand the Tukies and Taxi Mafia.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

They forgot to add to the application criteria that applicants "must be experienced Taxi Mafia involved in fleecing tourists".

Exactly, just like Pattaya! Also the part about fighting with tourists, killing tourists, driving like idiots because they've got the police on their side, etc, etc.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I've been to phuket did not like it ( my opinion and long time ago) at that time apart from the rascal vans and taxi only alternative I saw if you want to go to other part was truck style kind you see workers being transported @ building sites.i felt whole place was run by mafia I left 2 days early to return to the tranquility of pattaya. 

• Like 1

In addition to very low fare,  there are two features in Pattaya Baht Bus --- 

get on/ get off anywhere   and  'door-less' . 

The 'door-less' part is easy enough.  Would the on/off anywhere feature be same in the Phuket bus running the loop ?  if yes, is frequent stoppage an issue ?  

I think 40 B is about the right price.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:43 PM, isaanistical said:

nothing new here, they're just running 30 years late.

Anyway, surely what's described in the OP is not a "baht bus" but a shuttle service?

Correct. I used some of those buses between Phuket Town and the beaches 25 years ago. There is nothing new about this. The (mafia) problem is transportation in each resort, and between beaches.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

The new baht bus drivers are going to be like the first black kids bussed into white schools.  Balls of steel.  Good luck to them. 

The other side of this story is that taxi drivers deserve a decent quality of life as well.  Look at the amount of money the average tourist spends, on just about anything, and one can see that public transportation is being subsidized by poor owner/operators.  There has to be a more equitable solution to the transportation system. 

Wait till the taxi and tuk tuk mafia get to hear of this fine incentive.

In fact the bus routes, like in any popular beach town of Thailand,  should be extended all over the area (and not just at tourist hotspots).

It will highly help reducing many problems.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1