Thai education embraces UK programmes to boost English language proficiency

webfact

Every new government tries to change things. The lack of consistency and longevity always creates failures. The education ministry received a large portion of the budget but the corruption eats up most of it. I know a school that has computers but no electricity to turn them on. Having soldiers and policemen at the helm doesn't help at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

that is not the problem. The biggest problem in Thai education is " always pass" policy. Kids who don't do anything will pass and thereor the stimulate other kids not to do anything too. Secondly there are too many students in a classroom. 40-50 in a class is far to much. There is no time for the teacher to help a student. and third there is no willingness to learn English by the kids as there is nowhere Englishto be found on TV in English camps in schools etc so that they can practice or notice how important it is to learn.  And i am talking about the majority of schools all over the country and not about international schools before people start to comment again.

I always think one of the biggest problem here is being forced to learn English. Some kids do not have the ability to learn a language. I didn’t, we learned French as a basic, followed by German and Russian. I dropped out of French and studied European studies, which I was interested in, was a mix of geography and history. 

Yet here, we are required to teach kids who have no interest in English in the same class who understand that English will play a major role in their future careers. I taught in the south where kids know that if they can speak English, and have technical skill then the oil industry (was) is a ticket to future wealth. Parents are hammering their kids from an early age. Why should these kids be kept back by students that don’t give a flying one. Force the kids who do have an ability to learn in a different class to the kids who will need English in the r future careers and let the kids with no interest learn agriculture or a building trade.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I thought there was plenty of English teachers here? pay the them the right money and make it easier to get jobs and they will come, 

It's not the lack of teachers it is the Thai system.

In a lot of schools English teachers are figure heads so schools can march them out.

Thai teachers teaching grammar is a joke as most get minimal TOEIC scores.

Also don't forget even if somchai can only say good morning teacher and I am good in pratom 3 and can't read he will pass and move on through the system.

If you want better students the solution is simple.  Get rid of automatic pass.  Reinstate a real onet that deals at the respective levels written by English speaking pratom and matayom teachers.

Publish the results on a school by school regional basis.

I just did a "pass it on" for a 4 year university course for a Thai student with very good GPA grades and no family money to attend University. The girl is smart and sensible but her future would have just ground to a halt because of lack of money for education. The deal is this ... I pay the university fees for 4 years and she then promises, when in the work force, to sponsor her kid brother if he gets the grades or another stranger in the same way that I have just done and that person must sponsor another. In this way, each recipient passes a gift of education onto the next ...... I hope. I can't help think that the funds for the THB 10k handout can be better used in someway as a scholarship for rural kids with good grades ....

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I find that UK people have the lowest standard of proficiency in the English language in the English speaking world. I think they assume that they are number one. I have rarely met an English person that knows "lose is not loose" nor " have is not of"

Geez! Hope you're not an American then, to make any comment about bastardising the English language. Your Afro American folk have been the worst offenders for decades now, especially the rapper crews

6 hours ago, kenjinuk said:

I read this article and the full story and I still do not know how this will level the playing field or raise standards. Children in my village school cannot read English, their teachers do not speak English. There is a mountain to climb if standards are to improve.

There is one fact which is always ignored in obtaining packages that are used in English speaking countries and that are tailored to teaching English in their country, that fact is that their students already have a rudimentary level of English before they start school, whereas in Thailand that level is nearly non-existent.

From my observations, it all basically goes wrong for Thai students at high school because it's little more than 6 years of mindwashing nonsense learning fluff or nothing at all... along with nonsense activities. By the time they get to university, it's mainly too late... they sink or swim in class sizes of 50 etc. as that's not "teaching", it's a lecture.

You often hear people talking about/promoting how important critical thinking is and how it should be taught etc... but I see very little evidence of it being taught or even of people knowing what it actually is (observation, analysis, logic, systematically following processes of thought, judging relevence of ideas or augments, spotting errors or inconsistencies in comments/arguments, reflecting on your and others' assumptions and beliefs or biases, reasoning, balancing pros and cons/good and bad plus forming defendable opinion with supporting evidence etc.) so as to get to the best conclusion at a given time.

However, having a properly educated population that can think critically and freely, simply isn't in the interest of the 1%. Thailand needs a compliant and subservient workforce/populous to the elite. You can see it in the politics and establishment regarding how scared the puppet masters are of change and entities like the Move Forward Party... the dinosaurs even jumped into bed with Taksin and allowed him back with little sanction, just so that they can hang on to power for a little longer and forestall the progressives and change. Although, they are kidding themselves as change is inevitable and it's coming... the internet and social media has seen to that, and these kids that have been leaving university for the last 10-15 years or so won't stand for the same nonsense forever, as they will be entering positions of power shortly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I find that UK people have the lowest standard of proficiency in the English language in the English speaking world. I think they assume that they are number one. I have rarely met an English person that knows "lose is not loose" nor " have is not of"

On the basis of what research is this opinion? A few beers in a bar somewhere? If you can’t reference reliable sources, better to withdraw your comment.

Haven't met many well educated British people then have you ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Then you should stay away from those shady girlie bars to perhaps enlighten yourself.....🤭

"Have is not of", what's that all about......?  :huh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, khunpeer said:

now why is this going to be online? because the teachers cannot cope with it! finally education ministry admits!

my daughter tells me always funny stories about her English teacher at school...

I had an English friend once, who's Thai daughter could speak perfect English 8yrs old. One day asked if she'd done her English spelling home work, yes daddy she said, come and show me, why have you spelt they as thay? put THEY she started crying, but daddy I know its wrong but I won't get 10 out of10 if I spell it correct, next day home in tears again coz only got 9, No school bus (it was a private school) for you tomorrow luv, next day he took her by M/C and walked straight up to the stage in assembly and asked 'who teaches my daughter English? He showed her the dictionary and made the teacher there and then re-mark her test. Perfect.:cheesy:  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

It is already taught to many in Kindergarten, and mandated to be taught from P1

It is indeed. But if taught by someone who cannot speak it, and is just stumbling through a textbook, maybe one page ahead of the class, then it is pointless.

Which neatly brings me onto the subject of the textbooks. If there is an absolute nadir for academic authorship it must be writing English textbooks for South East Asian children!

And then the choice of topics! I remember working with a class of fourteen year olds trying to wrestle with an article on youth hostelling in Belgium and the Netherlands! I cannot imagine anything more likely to destroy any spark of interest in the language amongst teen-agers than that!

Frankly they would be better off let loose on U Tube for 2 hours a week.

7 hours ago, Bobydog said:

So nice to see a productive report for a change, Philippines are way ahead of Thailand in this area so why focus on Britain when the Philippines are an ASEAN member.

I am currently in Hong Kong (have permanent HKID, but reside 90% in TH) and what a pleasure it is to be able to use English,  and be understood!

Shop/ bar staff, bank staff ,taxi drivers, police, train and ferry staff/crews etc,etc.

Even though the colonial Brits are long gone m, English AND Mandarin are taught as  mandatory subjects.

(Speak, read and write both)

And if you don't Pass, you stay down a year until you get it right .

Of course Cantonese is their native everyday language,  yet they remain proficient in English.

I think Singapore is similar, and look at the multicultural mix that place is.

Thailand has a long way to go!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blazes said:

Dublin is preferable to Belfast, where "now"  is pronounced "noy".  

A different thread perhaps, but which is the absolute worst English regional accent?

After Belfast, I'd vote for Liverpool and Yorkshire.  (Sorry if I've offended anyone here.)

None of them are "worst".

There is no "worst" regional accent.

They are all perfect.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

Stop the "dubbing on tv and movies..

Then thais will hear how to speak other languages.

Use subtitles in thai instead.

That will also improve thais reading skills...

"Thais' reading skills" - yeah, that's also sthg to talk about. I read somewhere that Thailand is one of the countries where people read the most. That's total BS to me. Have you ever seen a bookshelf in any house in Isan??? Not a single person in my wife's family has ever had a single book (maybe with the exception of 1 or 2 booklets about religion, religion and religion) .... I guess that's not only Isan....

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, blazes said:

The worst mistake one tends to see on comment sites like this is:

"would of" when they mean "would've".  There is no such construction in English as "would of been proud  of...."

Of course to be absolutely correct, one could simply add two more letters and say "would have".

Exactly, and the worst offenders are Aussies, not Brits

6 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

Loose is and adjective. lose is a verb. Plus, i suspect you are referring to grammar. Any English teacher will tell you that the insistence of the Thai schools in speaking perfect grammatical English when conversing is what stops students developing their English skills. Teach English for communication purposes. English is the easiest language in the world, because it is the only language that can be spoken incorrectly yet can still be understood. Communication! Not perfection!

That is not correct either as English is a context based language.

Take the words so, or sew, or sow or sow.

They sound alike but are written differently and have different meanings.

For instance so means 2 things, as an adverb or as a conjunction.

Sew means needlework, and is a verb and can be used in past participle, sowed or sewn, sews in present participle.

But not to be confused with sow meaning to plant seeds or sow, the same spelling, but different pronunciation meaning a female pig.

And that is only one word, if used in a different context can mean something completely different.

IMHO the English language is easy to parrot but hard to get the right context.

That is without British regional variations.

Now if you go to English wot is spoke in other areas of the world you can end up with

English English

US English

Canadian English

Australian English

Indian English 

Pakistan English 

Philippine English.

and all the other versions of English (with regional variations) spoken worldwide.

There is no laid down version of a standard English language as most English speaking countries have incorporated bits of their own language as well.

Good luck to anybody who teaches English and better luck to the students.

Imagine a class of Thai students, who in their first year are are taught by a teacher from Glasgow with a broad accent, the next year they are taught by an Indian English teacher and in the 3drd year by an Australian.

It would be like learning a new language every year.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

Yes, teach them Howdy'partner or G'Day Mate Or Fair dinkum.

8 hours ago, fdimike said:

students may learn in school but quickly forget once they leave the classroom. 

I would class myself as relatively bright, top stream at school, HNC/HND level education.

However its all about bums on seats now, as told to me by a lecturer (15 years ago)while some of the people in my classes were as thick as s##t who carried on for a further year and obtained a degree.

Some years back my Gf's daughter brought her English homework home which was given to me to do/help with

I was shocked, as while i was half sure of the answers i could not be sure and had to go on the internet to make sure i wasn't giving the wrong answers. Even after checking it was still not 100% conclusive.

My point is, if you are going to teach English at that kind of level it is no wonder that they all lose interest and leave school without even remembering basic spoken English. The will to learn was lost from the very beginning.

Her English teacher was from Nigeria and the one time i met her i found her difficult to understand.

Some one said to me recently that it is I who ought to learn Thai. I had to explain that me learning Thai would only help me in Thailand, whereas a Thai learning English would help him in every country. English, like it or not, is the international language for communication.

Cambodians and Vietnamese, at young ages are leaps and bounds in front of Thais for their English.

The government could help by passing a law that all signs, writings and whatever, in Thai, has to show the English translation.

Just now, tonypattaya said:

Some one said to me recently that it is I who ought to learn Thai. I had to explain that me learning Thai would only help me in Thailand, whereas a Thai learning English would help him in every country. English, like it or not, is the international language for communication.

Cambodians and Vietnamese, at young ages are leaps and bounds in front of Thais for their English.

The government could help by passing a law that all signs, writings and whatever, in Thai, has to show the English translation.

There not Clever enough to think about that Tony.