Thai airlines weigh in on passenger pounds

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Several airlines have introduced weight checks for passengers and their luggage before boarding to calculate standard and average passenger weight. This passenger weigh-in measure, initiated today, allows airlines to distribute weight more effectively on international flights, thus reducing fuel usage.

I find the above hard to believe

So are they allocating seat positions according to passenger weight or just an overall take-off weight?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Very intrusive. I think I would start saying NO to the airlines who engage in this policy. See ya! 

This practice was alive and well years ago in the Philippines, don't know about now, it's been a while.

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Is the luggage not evenly distributed in the hold, depending on it's weight. 

It is the varying weights of the passengers in the cabin which needs looking at. 

That's exactly what the post is saying, that passengers are being weighed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, waders123 said:

Phase 1:  Airlines request volunteer passengers to weigh themselves and their luggage to gather average weight data.  You know for weight distribution and fuel savings.  Wink, Wink.

If no real pushback from Passengers, Airlines will move on to the next phase.

Phase 2:  Airlines will demand passengers to weigh themselves and their luggage to gather average weight data.  You know for weight distribution and fuel savings.  Wink, Wink, and a Wei.

Again, if no real pushback from Passengers, Airlines will move on to the next phase.

Phase 3:  Airlines will have a set weight limit for each passenger and their carry-ons, (weight limits will more than likely vary from airline to airline).  An additional fee will be applied to passengers who exceed the limit.

This is just another bad idea to float out there when every country's economy is in the toilet and desperately needs all the cash injection they can get! 

This is definitely not a positive PR move for tourism.   

I can see it now:  Come enjoy what our beautiful country has to offer, but first, you need to step on these scales so we can extract more money out of your pockets and make you feel like s#&t and pi$$ you off.  Welcome to our country!

I would only hope there will be a LOT of passenger pushback to this sort of airline practice.  Because, just like the seats, weight limits could be subject to smaller sizes/limits; in the end, everyone could be paying to collect weight information for weight distribution and fuel savings.  Wink, Wink, and a happy Wei.  

Who really started this passenger weighing business?

Wink, wink, wink, wink, wink and a Wai.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, NORDO said:

As a retired flight deck member, I’ve often wondered why the airline doesn’t restrict the size of a pax or crew member to a size that can  readily negotiate an evac through the smallest emergency exit

So what you're saying is that passengers should be designed to fit the airplane? I think it should be the other way around...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Dual pricing down the road? Maybe not, most  Thai men, and even women, weigh more than my [modest] 85Kg.

The median weight for airplane passengers including one carry on has been determined to be 84 kg... as an individual I am over the limit at 105 kg, but do my wife and I traveling together get a couple rate as our total weight is less than the 168 kg for two people???

• Haha 1