Thai hostages safe in Gaza, release hinged on Israeli military ceasefire

webfact

image.jpeg

Seyed Reza Nobakhti, the Iranian ambassador to Thailand, has confirmed that the Thai hostages currently held in Palestinian territories remain safe. He mentioned that the hostages, along with others, will only be released once the Israeli military halts its attack on the Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian militant group, Hamas, had captured about 200 hostages, including 19 Thai workers, during an unexpected attack on Israel on October 7.

While addressing the Palestine Solidarity Campaign (Thailand) in Bangkok on a recent Friday, the ambassador expressed Iran’s concern for the safety of the Thai hostages. He further conveyed the Iranian government’s condolences for Thailand’s losses in the ongoing conflict, which has led to the death of 30 Thais since the inception of the hostilities.

Nobakhti informed that Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi had met with Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Qatar the previous week, where Raisi had requested the release of the Thai and Filipino hostages. He further noted that Iran is in talks with Palestinian officials in Beirut to expedite the release.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of Pattanapong Chatpattarasill

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

I doubt whether Hamas chiefs themselves have a fully accurate information on status and location of all hostages. As if the chaos, destruction, broken lines of communication etc. weren't enough, there were reports (and clips) of hostages being taken to the Gaza Strip by people that appeared to be mob-like, rather than Hamas. Several comments on that early on, as I recall, even by Hamas spokesmen.

If so, it could complicate things further.

I sincerely hope this guy is telling the truth and that all hostages are safe. If they are not then the Israeli retaliation will probably get the blame. In part, I suppose the insufficient Israeli security in the first place should shoulder some responsibility...but I am certainly not qualified to argue the point. I cannot imagine the level of fear in such a situation.  

On 10/21/2023 at 4:30 PM, BarraMarra said:

Hamas will not release hostages because they know once they have lost their Aces their ass is grass.

I guess they won't release them unless they get a chance to exchange them for many more Palestinian prisoners held by the Israelis, as in the past. But Israelis with family members taken hostage are angry that the Netanyahu government is showing signs of being less concerned about recovering hostages than in the past in their determination to get Hamas whatever the cost in Palestinian and Israeli lives.

• Like 1

Average Thais realized early on that Hamas specifically targeted Thais.

Victims reported on Tiktok, eg how Hamas would knock a door and greet in Thai "Sawatdee krap, Khon Thai!" When the Thais opened,  Hamas shot everyone. 

"Muslims are strange. Why they kill everybody who is not of their religion?"

BTW there is an opinion piece in today's Bangkok Post about this. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Hamas guys with big guns, raiding into Israel, took the time to knock on doors, speak Thai, and greet people with a 'Sawatdee krap. .. didn't realise it's was April 1st!! Good laugh for the day.

They did the same with Israelis. Speaking in Hebrew to make them come out or open doors.

Plenty of Thai workers in the area, Hamas would have been aware of that.

Edited by Morch

13 hours ago, Morch said:

They did the same with Israelis. Speaking in Hebrew to make them come out or open doors.

Plenty of Thai workers in the area, Hamas would have been aware of that.

You are probably right.

That makes me understand Thais' feeling: one may be able to understand the hate of Palestinians for Israel or Jews. But killing and abducting Thais...

To the Hamas butchers, there is no distinction between a Jew and someone helping a Jew. All deserve to die.  And taking hostages from countries not a party to the conflict in Gaza is evil. If Hamas were smart and cared at all about global image, they would at least release the non-Israeli hostages as a gesture of goodwill.

Somehow, I can't see that happening. 

20 minutes ago, Lorry said:

You are probably right.

That makes me understand Thais' feeling: one may be able to understand the hate of Palestinians for Israel or Jews. But killing and abducting Thais...

Could be a bit more to it. Thai workers were basically brought in to replace Palestinian workers.