British Citizenship

My wife was just granted indefinite leave to remain and the decision only took 2.5 months. We were very impressed with the turnaround time.

Does anyone know how long British Citizenship applications are currently taking? We have the application and all supporting documents ready.

Regards

Guemlum

• Thumbs Up 1

Apply for citizenship if you have indefinite leave to remain or 'settled status': After you’ve applied - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

On that page it says that you'll usually get a decision within 6 months. When my wife applied many years ago (on the basis of long residence, it was before she married me) the application got shunted into a siding for some reason and it took several enquiries over a year and a complaint to get some movement. We never found out what the problem was. I'm sure that was an exception rather than the rule.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

We seriously consider my wife getting citizenship......but then realized we would have to live there.....that put us right off.

When you apply there is a minimum number of days spent outside the country in the previous 3 or 5 years to qualify, and you make a declaration that it is your intention to live permanently in the UK, but they can't really enforce that.

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Congratulations to your wife - it only seems like yesterday that we were discussing her initial visa/language test.  Very happy for both of you. (Sorry, can't help with your question).

Hi brewsterbudgen, It certainly does and time has flown by very quickly. She even passed the LITUK test on her first attempt. I'm still trying to pass the online mock test!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, helloagain said:

My thai wife and I have just come back from a holiday there, her 10th or 11th time. Fish and chips is now £17, parking at a shopping mall £5, we stayed in a pub, self contained flat, hotel and a b and b, the daily temp was 12*c and they very very frugal with heating two places not turn it on at all. 1, it's helped me decide never again, 2, made me appreciate more what I had here, my Internet faster on phuket than the 4 places we stayed plus here can download TV, music etc no problem. Been here 19y and now 70.

Could have been worse, try driving to work at 06:00 or working for umbrella company's!

My wife applied for British citizenship last December and we had positive decision 5 weeks later. Then we booked a private ceremony which was 2 weeks (if you wait for free group ceremony it can be 3 months). We had paperwork ready for online passport application so applied after the ceremony and she had passport 7 days later so in total 5 weeks + 2 weeks + 1 week. If you want any further info let me know

On 10/22/2023 at 3:23 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

When you apply there is a minimum number of days spent outside the country in the previous 3 or 5 years to qualify, and you make a declaration that it is your intention to live permanently in the UK, but they can't really enforce that.

If she is married to a British citizen then it is a section 6.2 application so she doesn't have to declare uk will be her home - that is only for section 6.1 application for people not married to a British citizen

On 10/22/2023 at 12:42 PM, Will B Good said:

We seriously consider my wife getting citizenship......but then realized we would have to live there.....that put us right off.

That is not correct if she is married to a British citizen - this is a section 6.2 application and there is NOT a requirement to live in the UK. Section 6.1 is for people not married to a British citizen which does have that requirement 

50 minutes ago, TimF said:

That is not correct if she is married to a British citizen - this is a section 6.2 application and there is NOT a requirement to live in the UK. Section 6.1 is for people not married to a British citizen which does have that requirement 

Can you give a bit more information or provide a link about this please.

Gov.UK states:

If you’re married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen

To apply as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.

You’ll also need to have either:

• indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
  • settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

If you do, you’ll be eligible to apply for citizenship immediately.

43 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Can you give a bit more information or provide a link about this please.

Gov.UK states:

If you’re married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen

To apply as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.

You’ll also need to have either:

• indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
  • settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

If you do, you’ll be eligible to apply for citizenship immediately.

Of course....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-an-guidance

Page 7 Section 6(1) not married/civil partnership - see bullet point 9 "intention to stay"

Page 8 Section 6(2) married/civil partnership the clause from Section 6(1) is not a requirement

See also

The British Naturalisation Act 1981 section 6.1 (not married/civil partnership to British citizen) and 6.2 (married/civil partnership with British citizen) refer to conditions to be met in schedule 1 (see link)

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/schedule/1

Section 6.1
(d)that either—
(i)his intentions are such that, in the event of a certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen being granted to him, his home or (if he has more than one) his principal home will be in the United Kingdom; or

This clause is NOT in applicable to Se tion 6.2 application (married to British citizen)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TimF said:

Of course....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-an-guidance

Page 7 Section 6(1) not married/civil partnership - see bullet point 9 "intention to stay"

Page 8 Section 6(2) married/civil partnership the clause from Section 6(1) is not a requirement

See also

The British Naturalisation Act 1981 section 6.1 (not married/civil partnership to British citizen) and 6.2 (married/civil partnership with British citizen) refer to conditions to be met in schedule 1 (see link)

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/schedule/1

Section 6.1
(d)that either—
(i)his intentions are such that, in the event of a certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen being granted to him, his home or (if he has more than one) his principal home will be in the United Kingdom; or

This clause is NOT in applicable to Se tion 6.2 application (married to British citizen)

Many thanks. Now I have some reading to do.

Just now, chickenslegs said:

Many thanks. Now I have some reading to do.

Use the guidance document (first link) - this is what the caseworker uses- pages 7 and 8 relevant for the intention to stay the rest covers everything else. This is the document I worked to when my wife applied 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 9:28 AM, FruitPudding said:

Jesus, 800 baht almost for a takeaway fish n' chips in the UK?

It's less than half the price for a 'sit in' cod n' chips in an English pub in Bangkok.

Never had decent fish and chips in those overpriced Bangkok pubs.

Sit down fish and chips (proper) with mushy peas and a cup of tea £8.99 in the Lake District.

6 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I don’t doubt the prices you’ve encountered but my wife and currently staying in the UK opposite a Harry Ramsdens who are selling take away fish and chips for £7.99, the town centre mall parking starts at £1.20 with the out of town malls offering free parking.

The local supermarkets are far cheaper than I feared, wine is considerably cheaper than Thailand, I’ve just brought six bottles of Prosecco in Sainsbury’s for £5.65 a bottle, the same brand cost me 900 Baht in Villa.

I’m sure that the cost of living crises is affecting many but the M&S food section near where we’re staying is always busy and has some very good deals, a steak dinner for two at £12, and very tasty.

We’re currently staying in a two bedroom Airbnb on the south coast for the equivalent of £30 a night, based on a monthly rent, and very warm and comfortable it is too.

We’re not renting a car and are travelling anywhere locally, including to nearby towns with fares capped at £2.

We’re travelling from the South Coast to London by train shortly using advance tickets at £15.80 for the two of us, though the Premier Inn in Leicester Square has cost us £260 for a one night stay.

As I say, l don’t doubt the examples you quote but it’s certainly not all doom and gloom here and I’m struggling to convince my wife that after numerous visits here during our sixteen years together we’d be better of in Thailand.

Going to supermarkets (and buying decent wine for a fraction of average plonk here) is one of the highlights of my UK visits. Razor blades and shaving foam are also favourite purchases. Ironic that you can often buy Singha beer cheaper in a UK supermarket than you can in a bar over here.

4 hours ago, TimF said:

Oh!!!!!.......Will look into citizenship again then.....cheers

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Going to supermarkets (and buying decent wine for a fraction of average plonk here) is one of the highlights of my UK visits. Razor blades and shaving foam are also favourite purchases. Ironic that you can often buy Singha beer cheaper in a UK supermarket than you can in a bar over here.

Yes I’ve already brought a years supply of razor blades, l’ve also enjoyed a few Singha beers at reasonable prices in restaurants, and cheaper than Thailand in supermarkets, though l did notice that Singha beer is actually brewed locally by the Shepherd Neam brewery in Kent

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

No worries. Someone else wanted more info so I posted a link to the government documents (see one of my replies above)

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

You will need to be in UK. Your wife will need to go through the usual visa stages. Settlement, FLR then ILR.

5 years in total. You both won't need to stay in UK for the entirety of the 5 years but there are limits.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, baansgr said:

And children born prior 01/07/2006 to a British father abroad have to go through a lot more at a cost of £1,500 then can apply for a passport....yet the government opened an ISA in their name...UK is all about face

My daughter was born in 2002. 

Absolutely no issues at all when applying for her UK passport.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2023 at 3:28 AM, FruitPudding said:

Jesus, 800 baht almost for a takeaway fish n' chips in the UK?

It's less than half the price for a 'sit in' cod n' chips in an English pub in Bangkok.

Around £10 in West London.

Her citizenship took 15 weeks and her UK passport took ten days.

Edited by rasg

Applied end of May this year - Got the decision around 4 months later.  Ceremony was booked I think around 3 or 4 weeks after that (we went for a group one)

Passport application took a surprisingly short time - around 2 and a half weeks.  Some people may be asked for an interview for first pp but didn't happen for my wife (I had heard it can be 10 weeks).

One small piece of advice around the timing of your application.  You can travel out the country once you make the application, but once you do the oath (ie officially a UK citizen) you will need to get the UK passport in order before any overseas travel.  In our case we were ready to apply in Feb, but had plans for Thailand in the summer - I felt it was potentially cutting it fine if we got a it granted then had to arrange ceremony and passport in time for the trip so I waited until May to send in the application

My wife was lucky. Less than a two week wait for her citizenship ceremony. It was a big surprise that she was given her first  passport so quickly as the surname in her Thai passport didn't match her citizenship certificate.