Another Thai Dead In Israel-Hamas War, Two More Taken Hostage

webfact

image.jpeg

ONE MORE Thai worker has died in the Israel-Hamas war raising the death toll to 31 while two have been taken hostage with there now being 19 Thais held captive by Hamas fighters, Naewna and TV Channel 7 said today (Oct. 22).

Labour Ministry’s Permanent Secretary Pairoj Chotikasathien said the Thai embassy in Tel Aviv had mentioned that the number of injured remained unchanged at 16 but one of them was still unidentified.

Moreover, 8,439 Thai workers have now registered with the embassy that they want to return home while 118 have mentioned that they intend to stay on in Israel. So far 2,319 Thais have flown back to Thailand.

by TNR Staff

TOP: Palestinians gather at the site of an Israeli strike on a house, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Gaza City on October 21, 2023. Photo: Reuters/Mutasem Murtaja and published by CNA

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2023-10-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Not looking good......how many Thais were in Israel?

I was thinking about this the other day. Why are these people taken to pick fruit or work on farms in Israel and not given a decent days pay fo a decent days work? Why do they have to pay their own airfares to go to the jobs and use brokers costing them hundreds of thousands of baht? Should a 'civilised' country like Israel being paying some sort of minimum wage and not leaving these poor people with huge debts? 

• Confused 3

They pay well, far better than here, but I think agents charge the earth and maybe take a cut. Whether it's worth it in the long run, I've no idea. And then there's the status of migrant workers. It varies a lot, but in Saudi and the neighbouring states, it can be dire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retarius said:

I was thinking about this the other day. Why are these people taken to pick fruit or work on farms in Israel and not given a decent days pay fo a decent days work? Why do they have to pay their own airfares to go to the jobs and use brokers costing them hundreds of thousands of baht? Should a 'civilised' country like Israel being paying some sort of minimum wage and not leaving these poor people with huge debts? 

The pay they get is not the problem. The debt references, as far as I understand, are either to Thai 'agents' in Thailand, or families mismanaging funds sent home. Or maybe something to do with some of them buying expensive ticket home at their own expense.

35 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

1st I've heard of hostages being taken after initial hammas attack. 

As far as I understand, it's people who were previously labeled missing. They keep finding bodies out there. Also yesterday, a lone Hamas survivor who hid in an orchard. 

Edited by Morch

1 hour ago, Stargeezr said:

It there more than just Hamas terrorists in Gaza?  Maybe there are a few other terrorist

groups in that part of the world. Something to consider..

The other main outfit is Islamic Jihad - more extreme in nature, generally considered more closely associated with Iran. Several other smaller ones affiliated with either. And always a few IS clone cells that the larger firms crush fearing competition.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, retarius said:

quoted 30,000 before the war started, they get money more than they would in sticky rice land, one was being interviewed on TV he was on 85,000 a month