Overstay

28 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

How does immigration find someone overstayed if they live somewhere without immigration knowing?

Either by chance, or not at all until the overstayer chooses to leave.

In either case, it could be a matter of days or a matter of years, no guarantees though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, there have been clampdowns recently, or how did they find the tourists who, say, overstayed for a week?

if you are referring to the ones in Phuket the tourist were at the airport when they got arrested, 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Either by chance, or not at all until the overstayer chooses to leave.

In either case, it could be a matter of days or a matter of years, no guarantees though.

Phuket actively checks their lists and finds overstayers who've spent even one day too long in the country.

Elsewhere, it really depends. Never a good idea to overstay and they're getting stricter.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

if you are referring to the ones in Phuket the tourist were at the airport when they got arrested, 

Nope. If the tourist made it to the airport to depart the country, they'd be fined and let on their way.

There was a case in Phuket where someone was arrested at 9pm at their home, 3 hours BEFORE they were technically on overstay.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Elsewhere, it really depends. Never a good idea to overstay and they're getting stricter.

Overstaying is never a good idea. Even if I travel somewhere where I get "3 months" visa-free entry, and no-one really can tell me how many days that is, I make sure that I leave on or before day 90, if I plan to travel there again.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

2nd, they have a lot of questioning investigative spies around who can report one.

Landlords and hotels check, and so do some banks, I'm sure. I was once even asked by a bank clerk in Pattaya whether I 'worked in Thailand'... I couldn't see any reason why she would ask me that, unless she was "spying" for the authorities.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

and so do some banks, I'm sure.

yes they do, had a friend wanted to open a BKB account on overstay as he needed to use an agent and had very little money, they noticed immediately,  Off he went back to his home country the next day, before they caught up with him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Overstaying is never a good idea. Even if I travel somewhere where I get "3 months" visa-free entry, and no-one really can tell me how many days that is, I make sure that I leave on or before day 90, if I plan to travel there again.

Ditto.

There are countries such as Malaysia,  that rather than put a "last day to stay, get out before midnight on this date stamp" they just write "90 days from this date".

To avoid ambiguity, I'd assume the date of arrival is day 1, as Thailand does, rather than day 0. I'd then spend 89 days maximum (even based on the date of arrival being day 1) just to have a buffer and no one being able to accuse me of trying to overstay.

It's better to leave at least a day or two before the last day, in case of flight delays/cancelations and/or transportation difficulties or reaching a land border crossing too late (if you travel by land) that sort of thing.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Landlords and hotels check, and so do some banks, I'm sure. I was once even asked by a bank clerk in Pattaya whether I 'worked in Thailand'... I couldn't see any reason why she would ask me that, unless she was "spying" for the authorities.

I doubt she was spying for the authorities but sometimes, people are just curious or they ask for a work permit to activate internet banking that sort of thing.