Hit and run got me, I'm all broken!

BritManToo

I am wondering if BMT was occupying one of the regular car lanes. On a big bike, most probably.

I keep as far left as I can get, out of the way of vehicles bigger than me. I feel uncomfortable if I am in a regular lane, for fear of getting shunted as BMT did.

That does not justify the behavior of the scum that hit him. However, my driving methods are about risk minimization, and constant threat assessment.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, BritManToo said:

Really surprised I'm not dead!

Yes indeed, hit and run says it all, i.e. why I won't ride in Thailand, as much as I love riding since I was a kid, maturing into the bigger bike riders where you go to a place so unmatched in a car.

Hit and run drivers, pot holes, weak laws and virtually impossible to get private health cover unless your prepared to pay a ransom all adds up for why I value my life a little more as I mature.

Rest up and get well real soon now.

Hope they catch the bastard, but even so, what are they going to slap him with a 500 baht fine and maybe get your bike repaired/replaced.

Lesson learned ?

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am wondering if BMT was occupying one of the regular car lanes. On a big bike, most probably.

I keep as far left as I can get, out of the way of vehicles bigger than me. I feel uncomfortable if I am in a regular lane, for fear of getting shunted as BMT did.

That does not justify the behavior of the scum that hit him. However, my driving methods are about risk minimization, and constant threat assessment.

Normal single lane road, little traffic, plenty of room to overtake but traffic light in front.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Normal single lane road, little traffic, plenty of room to overtake but traffic light in front.

Most likely texting on his/her phone. In Australia, the fine would be 26,000 baht.

If he does get caught, it may be worth adding to the charges.

I hope you are recovering well.

Edited by Lacessit

On 10/25/2023 at 3:48 PM, connda said:

I'm not sure of BritManToo's age, but I gave up on motorcycles a year and change back after I turned 70.  I don't have the reflexs or the situational 360 degree awareness that I had even back in my 60s when I rode quite often.  Driving here and staying alive?  You have to have situational awareness and eyes in the back of your head.

**How wise, I am surprised that you made it to 70yo tho, but well done to see clearly now,  that riding bikes/scooters etc in Thailand is eventual suicide.

IH

• Thanks 1

Be very careful with morphine and tramadol, you'll be addicted in a few weeks (talking from experience).

And (!) the 'little fella' become impotent faster than you can imagine, and take months if not longer, to be back in active duty. Another reason to stop these meds, as soon you can.

Wish you speedy recovery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pomchop said:

sad story but yet another warning to those who ride without a helmet that when an accident happens it often comes quickly and riding with no helmet is one of the dumbest things you can do EVER.

He was wearing a full face helmet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pomchop said:

sad story but yet another warning to those who ride without a helmet that when an accident happens it often comes quickly and riding with no helmet is one of the dumbest things you can do EVER.

I'm about to pop out (just down the road) - for such as short journey I'd usually use my open face helmet...

I'll use my full face helmet and that decision is based on this thread and how Brit described how his full face helmet made a difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm about to pop out (just down the road) - for such as short journey I'd usually use my open face helmet...

I'll use my full face helmet and that decision is based on this thread and how Brit described how his full face helmet made a difference. 

It baffles me how Thais can drive without a helmet, and not have an insect colliding with their eyes. Suddenly going blind in one eye can't be good for balance.

I have the visor down every time I ride, I am paranoid about something happening to my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I used to ride with an open face helmet inside the city for better visibility.

I then saw the immediate aftermath of a scooter that lost it on gravel at speed and the pillion hit the kerb mouth first.

Teeth, bits of teeth, and the darkest color red liquid I ever saw were spewing up out of his mouth as he was putting his hand up to it, his face utterly distorted in shock and horror making him look as if he wasn't even human. I would guess an entire mouth full of teeth shattered and broke along with his jaw.

I put my open face helmet away after that and have happily used my full face helmet since. 

Problem with Thais is not only no helmet but poor riding, often reckless and drunk not a good combo, saw one yesterday hit a curb, was so drunk laughed it off

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/28/2023 at 6:33 AM, Shop mak said:

Be very careful with morphine and tramadol, you'll be addicted in a few weeks (talking from experience).

And (!) the 'little fella' become impotent faster than you can imagine, and take months if not longer, to be back in active duty. Another reason to stop these meds, as soon you can.

Wish you speedy recovery.

They cut me off Thursday, every little move I make, every little breath I take hurts like b%$#@&y.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

I hate motor bikes - doesn't matter how good a rider you are it just takes one other idiot to kill or maim you for life. I once knew an airline training pilot, cool, sensible guy who was also a MC collector. Wiped out instantly by a nutter driving a sports car too fast coming round the bend on the wrong side on a country lane. In the UK!

Acquaintance bought her son one for his 18th. 4 weeks later he came off and is now lifelong quadriplegic.

Come off one myself as well but that was my fault. Needed 2 collar bone ops.

Bastard didn't stop? Scumbag.

Get well soon.

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2023 at 5:43 PM, BritManToo said:

been watching old westerns where I know them so well I don't need to concentrate.

Yesterday was Ulzana's Raid, this aft was Big County.

My favorite lines from the The BIG Country (1958). Note McKay (Gregory Peck) is a wealthy former sea captain. At his welcoming party:

Well, Mr. McKay, how do you like this (Texas) country?
I like it very much.
Did you ever see anything so big?

Well, yes.
- You have? What?
- A couple of oceans.
Well, I declare! Excuse me.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

There's a reason a lot of people buy giant SUVs.

Because they are the biggest vehicles on the road and the safest.

Sadly they're also the deadliest for those they hit.

2 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Sadly they're also the deadliest for those they hit.

Yeah, but that's the game that's being played on the roads. The SUV drivers would rather you die than them, for obvious reasons. 

How do you solve this problem? Force everyone to buy the same size vehicle? 

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Yeah, but that's the game that's being played on the roads. The SUV drivers would rather you die than them, for obvious reasons. 

How do you solve this problem? Force everyone to buy the same size vehicle? 

Public transport 555?

I have no idea. It is what it is. Gotta adapt. And cross your fingers.

And in my case avoid motocys as far as possible.

On 10/29/2023 at 5:30 PM, BritManToo said:

They cut me off Thursday, every little move I make, every little breath I take hurts like b%$#@&y.

That’s a shame, as deep breathing is a great painkiller. 
I had a small accident a while back, but minor damage in comparison; broken ankle, damaged hip and shoulder. But I kept fluid and kept deep breathing when possible. Cannabis definitely helped me to view the pain differently in so I didn’t fear it and just worked through it, staying relatively fluid. 
Now there’s no need for the cannabis, but I’m happy there was free access to it at the time. 

I’m sure that you aren’t yet at that stage, but it’s important that you don’t stiffen up and lose your fluidity. Meditate, breathe, repair from within and be even better than before. Let that be your goal. 

Edited by NextG