Hit and run got me, I'm all broken!

BritManToo

On 10/29/2023 at 3:32 PM, JeffersLos said:

He was wearing a full face helmet. 

yes i read that and he also says he thinks it saved his life...which was my point as to why wearing a helmet is always a good idea since you never know when an accident might be 30 seconds away.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They traced the guy that ran me down using traffic lights video.

Apparently it's all my fault for bumping his car with my bag at the previous lights.

No explanation why he didn't stop after knocking me off, or report the accident to the police until over a week later.

No idea what will happen now.

That’s just nuts. So he possibly gets away with attempted murder, because your bag hit his car??

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Apparently it's all my fault for bumping his car with my bag at the previous lights.

No explanation why he didn't stop after knocking me off, or report the accident to the police until over a week later.

Flippin ek... So he's admitting to hitting you deliberately and driving off because your bag clipped him at the previous lights. 

IF so... are you pushing the police to file criminal charges and hammering him for all compensation you can get...  its attempted murder as the above poster (NextG) highlights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This is good news for you actually because he admits hitting you on purpose to get revenge. Now it's not an accident anymore but could be attempted murder. It also rules out a possible defense saying he didn't notice etc. That's clear hit-and-run as per law. Slam dunk for any half-decent lawyer. I would try to get all this in writing if you decide to properly pursue the matter.

Either way I wish you a speedy recovery and good luck!

• Like 1

It was a road rage incident??!!  WHAT??  Are they going to arrest him?  Is he negotiating?  

I’m shocked although it has happened to me nearly, I’ve been chased around the city, I just out drove them.  I don’t know what would have happened if they caught up with me.  For honking of course, to prevent an accident.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Some progress this morning,

His insurance phoned my wife and agreed to pay all bike repairs and any medical costs over and above my government minimum. Following due police process.

Did you offer him anything for bumping into his car?

Did you know you bumped into his car? Did you apologise for it at the time or just ignore/ pretend it didnt happen?

How old is he? 

Any chance of getting a copy of the incident and sharing it here?

How are you healing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goat said:

Did you offer him anything for bumping into his car?

Did you know you bumped into his car? Did you apologise for it at the time or just ignore/ pretend it didnt happen?

How old is he? 

Any chance of getting a copy of the incident and sharing it here?

How are you healing?

I read the car driver hit BM2 from behind, case closed

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

O m g ! The sob took revenge!

But still ,Its a assault!

Hope you get better soon!

Edited by riclag

Before you thought this was a hit and run, which isn't a good thing no matter what. Now you know it was intentional for a minor infraction by you. This has got to sour your taste just a bit now about life here, as it further shows what goes on here, especially involving farangs.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Lawyer time, a few thousand well spent.

Police think they are judge and jury here

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lawyer time, a few thousand well spent.

Police think they are judge and jury here

Most of the time they are because no one is pressing charges. Both police and courts in Thailand strongly push for resolution of cases via mediation and settling without going through the whole process. For better or worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Some progress this morning,

His insurance phoned my wife and agreed to pay all bike repairs and any medical costs over and above my government minimum. Following due police process.

Good news. I would at the least also get some kind of physio therapy sessions prescribed from the doctor so you can not just get patched up but some training to better recover. This really helps, I speak from experience! Costs will be covered by the opponents insurance.

But consider also pressing charges with the police against the guy if he's such an ahole. Police will likely just close the case if you settle for just getting your repair and medical expenses covered. You'll either be able to get some kind of compensation or at least the guy will be punished and not pull such a stunt again. Otherwise they never learn. If he'd at least admit fault and appologize...

• Like 1

Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if the driver just totally made up the part about your bag hitting his car?  Did the police see that on video?  Is your bag hanging off your bike in such a way that is possible?  It is no excuse obviously for the man to hit you later but since Thais hate to admit fault he had to think of some lie.

I was hit from behind while slowing, in the day, with my turn signal on, my lights all worked, and two motor bikes driving together, one or both of them hit me, then they both fell down.  Then they got up from the street and jumped on their bikes and drove away!  Every Thai person I told about this, advised me to make a up a lie for my insurance company.  They would say I should say I got hit in a parking lot while I was shopping.  I think they all thought I was making up my story to some degree.  I would ask them, why should I lie, I didn’t do anything wrong, and it might be obvious I am making up a story?  It was just a repair to my bumper about 18 years ago, so it cost maybe 4000 or 6000 baht I think, I just paid it myself.

I never asked people what I should do either, they would ask how my car got like that and I would tell them and next sentence would be their suggested lie, every single time!! 

Maybe the guy was just drunk.  He thinks this story is better because he was too dumb to realize he was admitting to attempting to murder you.  If he really did that I think he would say his brakes failed.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Small update 3 weeks after the event.

Seen the hitters police report, he admits to following me and running me down because my bag knocked his car.

Police have photos of his car smashed all down the left side from him ramming me ...... what a tool.

Wife is off to his insurance company this aft to discuss compensation for my pain, suffering and injuries.

As for me,

Most of the cuts and scabs have now fallen off.

Lots of muscle damage, blue right foot, blue right shoulder hip and elbow, knee painful, hip doesn't work properly so hard to walk.

I can just about get around the inside of the house by myself, up and down stairs.

Feeling a lot more hopeful of a full recovery now, even if it is still 1 or 2 months away.

No lawyer? May have taken 5-10 years off your life 

I was sorry to hear about your accident and also for not responding sooner. I'm happy to hear that you're on the mend and that the miscreant has been found, good luck with the insurance company, are you certain your wife wont need a hand with that? Anyway, get better soon and get over this whole thing, onwards and upwards.

• Thanks 2

Hey BMT, good to hear you have positive thoughts.

I would have thought broken ribs would be a real pita, but you are not complaining about them.

Thats good !? But ok going forward and even able to walk around the house again, a good thing.

It will take a while until you can run the marathon, 555, but hang in!

Tiger balsem wouldnt help ? Or for that matter the famous "yellow oil" from Thailand?

Heats up muscle and give better blood flow in muscle, therefor healing.

However dont touch certain parts of your body otherwise you will be screaming after using it.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Seen the hitters police report, he admits to following me and running me down because my bag knocked his car.

Police have photos of his car smashed all down the left side from him ramming me ...... what a tool.

In the civilised world that would be "attempted murder".

Here?

Take care and look after yourself! Or else!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just saw this. Glad you are on the mend. Did you choose to get a plate in your collarbone or are you going to just let nature take its course?

If you are having trouble sleeping with the cracked ribs, sleeping in an armchair might bring s bit more relief.

All the best with the recovery and mopping up the aftermath of the person that hit you.