savannakhet now require bank statement (400k) for 1 year multi visa (non-O marriage or Thai family)

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, if you have problem with meeting the requirements and can´t show origin of your funds. Then there are 2 options. You did not plan well enough, or you have shady income that you do not pay tax for or can show openly.

Not at all oblivious! Just feel the need to inform of things that should be natural to check before moving to another country. can it be that I hear some worries that you might not be able to meet the requirements anymore. Well, soon they will close the agent option as well. Bye bye to many that have lived in a bubble.

I planned well enough, it is the dodgy IO who would not accept my bank statements. Must have been too much work to check through a 12 month bank statement, he was only interested in doing the extension if I could park 400k in a bank for 3 months. FYI - You do not need to prove where the funds come from if you do it this way. So if you're a drug dealer making bank in Thailand, you can easily do it this way. This is my point. They make it ridiculously hard to get the extension, but they make it easy if you have a large amount of money upfront. Lots of shady people have that kind of cash lying around, not so sure about those who have to support families...

I offered to show him my wise statements, which show the company name that pays me and the amount from USD- THB sent each month, so he could verify the amounts I sent. As I work for an American company, I get paid twice a month and this was a big problem too. He said 'only one payment a month' - he must have pulled that figure out of his ass.

Edited by Brickleberry

On 11/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, BritTim said:

Your permission to stay is not extended based on a work permit, though a work permit is one of the requirements for an extension of stay based on working. The work permit simply allows you legally to work. If you have a multiple entry visa, you have no absolute need for either extensions or re-entry permits (they are optional). If you have an extension, but also an unexpired Non O visa (based on Thai spouse) you have the option of either returning on the visa (fresh 90-day permission to stay) or buying a re-entry permit and returning on that (keeping the same expiry date for your permission to stay).

I have a 12 Month Multiple-entry Non-O visa based on marriage. (e-Visa) Any idea why it says "employment prohibited" under visa conditions?

7 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

I planned well enough, it is the dodgy IO who would not accept my bank statements. Must have been too much work to check through a 12 month bank statement, he was only interested in doing the extension if I could park 400k in a bank for 3 months. FYI - You do not need to prove where the funds come from if you do it this way. So if you're a drug dealer making bank in Thailand, you can easily do it this way. This is my point. They make it ridiculously hard to get the extension, but they make it easy if you have a large amount of money upfront. Lots of shady people have that kind of cash lying around, not so sure about those who have to support families...

I offered to show him my wise statements, which show the company name that pays me and the amount from USD- THB sent each month, so he could verify the amounts I sent. As I work for an American company, I get paid twice a month and this was a big problem too. He said 'only one payment a month' - he must have pulled that figure out of his ass.

That is completely wrong. If you show 400k in the bank, you do not have to show where the money came from, but if you go the monthly way, you will need to show the origin of the money.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

The advantages are ( if you have the funds in a bank account )

1. the much less amount of paperwork needed.

2. how quick to process - no under consideration BS

3. no visits to your house

I will continue to visit Savankhett annually.

You are right. I was only thinking about the economic part.

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

That has been predicted for a very long time. And by many an "expert".

Don't get me wrong, it could happen, but where do you get the confidence from that it WILL happen SOON?

Just that I believe they will thighten up all areas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

You really don't get it do you?

We've tried with humorous comparison, we've tried with reasoned argument.

But on you sail, implacable as a Dreadnought battleship! Anyone who either chooses not to or cannot follow the path you take, for whatever reason, is simply "stupid" , "penniless" (your words in both cases) and in the wrong place.

No point really going on, the Harry Enfield videos, depicting smug, self satisfied arrogance, have you down to a tee! There it rests.

We have tried? So far it´s only 3-4 that have tried, which do not stand for the forum. It just stand for that 3-4 members are as eager as me to be right.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/3/2023 at 2:48 PM, vinny41 said:

Can you provide a link that states " officially, a non resident cannot hold a Thai bank account."

as many Thai banks do offer bank accounts to non residents and Thai nationals that work overseas are classed as non resident 

No I can't, I was told that it was the law when I tried to open a second account with Kasikorn - very strange seeing as I already have one.  I could not provide a long term visa so no new account.

Thai nationals working abroad will only be considered as non-resident for tax purposes. Nobody is likely to check their status if the can provide a Tabien Baan and ID card.

The rules on residency are common to many countries - look at the reports on here from UK expats that their UK accounts are being closed down.

However, I accept that its Thailand and things don't always follow the rules.  I've seen people who've reported being given a Thai bank account when they've been on a 30 day exemption.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MajorTom said:

I have a 12 Month Multiple-entry Non-O visa based on marriage. (e-Visa) Any idea why it says "employment prohibited" under visa conditions?

I've just looked at all the old MENO's in my passport and non of them state 'Employment Prohibited', one from a time when I didn't have a MENO does state that.

As far as I know a MENO never states that because provided you have a work permit and are married, you are allowed to work on that visa.  I have a mate who runs a report/bar and he does so via a MENO.

Note: the Thai writing that I have blanked out under 'Remarks' on the MENO obtained at HCMC is my wife's name - something they started doing in recent years.  You will note that there is nothing about employment under 'Remarks' on both MENO's (or on my other ones) but it is specifically stated on the Tourist Visa.

I think the addition of 'Employment Prohibited' in your passport is a mistake.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MajorTom said:

I have no idea. In principle, you can get a work permit and work on a Non O visa based on marriage. Some other categories of Non O visa (notably based on receipt of state pension) do not normally allow employment (though an interesting thread a month or so ago suggests that even that restriction might no longer exist).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I think the addition of 'Employment Prohibited' in your passport is a mistake.

One would think that, but they must have made the same mistake twice then. I got the same visa in 2022 and that also states "employment prohibited".

Could contain:

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

...I think the addition of 'Employment Prohibited' in your passport is a mistake.

The annotation "Employment Prohibited" on a visa is unnecessary but perhaps helps to avoid the mistaken belief by some visa holders that their visa permits employment.

No visa, not even the non-immigrant visa category B, permits employment, but the permission to stay based on some specific types of visa is a requirement for the application for a work permit.

• Agree 1

I would just like to clarify what I state in my post that includes visa pages from my passport - where I say 'one from a time when I didn't have a MENO, that is as shown, a tourist visa.  I included it to show the clear distinction of what is written on a visa where work is not allowed.

Edited by MangoKorat

12 minutes ago, Maestro said:

No visa, not even the non-immigrant visa category B, permits employment, but the permission to stay based on some specific types of visa is a requirement for the application for a work permit.

Possibly but I very much doubt they would print 'Employment Prohibited' on a B visa. Likewise, if someone who holds a MENO based on marriage that had the same 'Employment Prohibited' remark was to apply for a work permit, I suggest questions may be asked and possibly a different visa required.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

The annotation "Employment Prohibited" on a visa is unnecessary but perhaps helps to avoid the mistaken belief by some visa holders that their visa permits employment.

I guess that's possible, but it would just add more confusion, as "employment prohibited" really isn't the same as "permission to work not included" (with the visa).

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

That is completely wrong. If you show 400k in the bank, you do not have to show where the money came from, but if you go the monthly way, you will need to show the origin of the money.

That is precisely what I said, 400k there is no need to show where the money comes from. Why are you saying I'm completely wrong?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

That is precisely what I said, 400k there is no need to show where the money comes from. Why are you saying I'm completely wrong?

Because he likes to do stupid things like that.

I can't decide whether to put him on my ignore list - because he is wrong SO many times, or keep him live for the entertainment value.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, Gottfrid said:

We have tried? So far it´s only 3-4 that have tried, which do not stand for the forum. It just stand for that 3-4 members are as eager as me to be right.

Have you considered that some people read what you write and just ignore your arrogance without comment  - simply seeing it for what it is?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Slightly off topic, mods welcome to move it: I’m married to a Thai, we have 2 kids. Is it possible for me to get a non-O based on being a parent, or is that for separated/single parents only?

It is possible in theory. The Immigration official is going to have the same question I do: why do you want to do that? Your wife would need to go with you to the immigration office, together with at least one of your children.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It is possible in theory. The Immigration official is going to have the same question I do: why do you want to do that? Your wife would need to go with you to the immigration office, together with at least one of your children.

From what I understand, only 200k needs to be shown,  with no seasoning needed. Times are hard atm, it is what it is.