House elects Mike Johnson as Speaker, ending GOP chaos

Social Media

image.png

The House elected Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) to be the 56th Speaker on Wednesday, capping off a chaotic three weeks that paralyzed the lower chamber in stunning fashion.

In finally coalescing around a new leader, House Republicans hope that Johnson can steer them around a series of legislative and political landmines in the weeks and months to come — an objective that is poised to be a heavy lift in the fractured GOP conference.

Johnson, who was in his second term as vice chair of the House Republican Conference, won the Speaker’s gavel in a 220-209 vote over Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), officially cementing himself as successor to former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) following McCarthy’s unprecedented removal earlier this month.

Republicans unanimously supported his election on the House floor.

Johnson’s ascension marks the end of a nasty and tumultuous period for the House GOP conference, which witnessed McCarthy’s ouster, cycled through four Speaker nominees and saw tensions reach a boiling point before settling on Johnson as its next leader.

“We’re in the majority right now,” Johnson said in a news conference on the House steps following his swearing-in as Speaker. “We’ve gone through a little bit of character building, and you know what it’s produced, more strength, more perseverance, and a lot of hope.”

“And that’s what we’re about to deliver to the American people,” he added.

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

• Like 1

I've lost track, are they going to keep that 'a single rep can toss the Speaker' rule that got Kevin dumped?

They got another young zealot who will do what they are told, like Jenna Ellis.  DC draws a certain type of person, just like Hollywood does.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bendejo said:

I've lost track, are they going to keep that 'a single rep can toss the Speaker' rule that got Kevin dumped?

They got another young zealot who will do what they are told, like Jenna Ellis.  DC draws a certain type of person, just like Hollywood does.

Well the current GOP certainly does.

So long as he cuts military and monetary aid to Ukraine and Israel I don't much care who he is, what his political views are, whether he supports Trump or not, or whether he's a right wing extremist. I am not optimistic however. The US Capital is a sewer. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

38 minutes ago, novacova said:

Though keep in mind, from the extremest left perspective, anything towards the center is extremest right. Their delusion even cuts into RFK Jr

I don’t know anyone who calls JFK Jr an extremist.

Opportunist conspiracy crack-pot and useful idiot to rightwing extremists’ yes, but not actually an extremist himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Betcha he gets rid of it as first order of business.  :biggrin:

I’m not sure that he can,unfortunately it holds the house hostage to the magga nutters not a good thing best we can do is limp along till the election,that being said I would be utterly delighted to be 100% wrong 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, retarius said:

So long as he cuts military and monetary aid to Ukraine and Israel I don't much care who he is, what his political views are, whether he supports Trump or not, or whether he's a right wing extremist. I am not optimistic however. The US Capital is a sewer. 

You lose already. His stated first order of business is giving israel lots more US$ and support. Sad, really.

Ukraine seems to be sidelined for the moment, and the US may not have much left to give them anyway, after giving israel lots of munitions, which may include bombs and definitely includes missiles.

I agree about the US capital.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, gargamon said:

ending GOP chaos

Now that's pretty much impossible. 

My take is that it is not an "end" but more like hitting the "pause" button.... take a breath for a minute or two and then go on with agenda of Saying the government doesn't work and then proving it by Republican actions. They really have no agenda other than demolish government. Really.

• Thumbs Up 1