House elects Mike Johnson as Speaker, ending GOP chaos

Social Media

How long will he last as Speaker?  My guess is out by year's end or early January.  Let's see what happens with the budget; on the bright side, the GOP's long-touted farce about not spending sacred taxpayer money may finally be exposed and come to a head, like the ugly pus-wart that it is.

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

How long will he last as Speaker?  My guess is out by year's end or early January.  Let's see what happens with the budget; on the bright side, the GOP's long-touted farce about not spending sacred taxpayer money may finally be exposed and come to a head, like the ugly pus-wart that it is.

Two-thirds of Americans disapprove of the economy today. Since Biden took office, the typical American family has effectively lost $7,300 in annual income. The monthly mortgage payment on a median price home has more than doubled. It will cost 25 percent more to heat your home this winter. Rents are at record highs. Americans are drowning in over $1 trillion of credit card debt.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Two-thirds of Americans disapprove of the economy today. Since Biden took office, the typical American family has effectively lost $7,300 in annual income. The monthly mortgage payment on a median price home has more than doubled. It will cost 25 percent more to heat your home this winter. Rents are at record highs. Americans are drowning in over $1 trillion of credit card debt.

Links to these claims please?

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Are you aware that the President has limited control of the economy?  The Federal Reserve controls interest rates, the market controls home prices, global energy prices control energy costs, etc.

Are you also aware that countries that try to micromanage their economies rarely succeed for long?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And how did the economy do during Trump's last year in office?

• Sad 1

I don't know this guy from Adam but his first declared statement, that China, Russia and Iran, were the new axis of evil, seems designed to spread chaos not end it. Anyway, from my view he forgot that the axis oil evil is actually the uS, UK and Israel, and a c lear statement, even if it would be lying, of trying to improve the US morally , would have been welcome. As it is what the hell is the point of trying to mend relations with China (a stated aim of the administration) when your third in live to the presidency calls the Chinese "evil".

Rather stupid and myopic I think.

• Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

GOOGLE it... it's not  rocket science... typical reaction from someone without a genuine rebuttal.

Perhaps Google doesn’t reach that place where you pull your claims from.

Here’s something for you to grasp:

Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source.”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You mean when Covid struck? 😆

Precisely. And did covid vanish on January 20th, 2021? And is not the entire world economy still feeling the effects of the pandemic? And despite which, is not the US economy doing better than the other major world economies? In fact, better than most of the world's developed economies?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Precisely. And did covid vanish on January 20th, 2021? And is not the entire world economy still feeling the effects of the pandemic? And despite which, is not the US economy doing better than the other major world economies? In fact, better than most of the world's developed economies?

Indeed. I would concur that Trump laid the foundations for a speedy recovery. It's a shame that Biden seems intent on spending much of it funding overseas conflicts but you can't win 'em all.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. I would concur that Trump laid the foundations for a speedy recovery. It's a shame that Biden seems intent on spending much of it funding overseas conflicts but you can't win 'em all.

Please share with me the details of these foundations. You've made an assertion, now provide a link to credible source to support it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

A small detail of US Government Budgets you seem ignorant of.

Congress sets them, not the President.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A small detail of US Government Budgets you seem ignorant of.

Congress sets them, not the President.

It's never his fault, is it? 😆

Your assumptions are once again wide of the mark. Yes, Congress sets the budget. The Biden administration decides exactly where it is spent. 

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3569812/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/#:~:text=Today%2C the Department of Defense,for Ukraine since August 2021.

image.png.25a28b645b5b14f0fdafaa8d611695c1.png

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's never his fault, is it? 😆

Your assumptions are once again wide of the mark. Yes, Congress sets the budget. The Biden administration decides exactly where it is spent. 

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3569812/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/#:~:text=Today%2C the Department of Defense,for Ukraine since August 2021.

image.png.25a28b645b5b14f0fdafaa8d611695c1.png

It’s always difficult explaining US Government process to people who have likely never set foot in the place.

There’s a thread just opened on the House  GOP Unveiling a $14.3 Billion aid package to Israel.

House is Congress and GOP is not President Biden.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s always difficult explaining US Government process to people who have likely never set foot in the place.

Wrong again. Been to Vegas many times. Marvellous place.

The fact that Congress sets the budget does not excuse Biden for the way his administration spends it. 

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There’s a thread just opened on the House  GOP Unveiling a $14.3 Billion aid package to Israel.

House is Congress and GOP is not President Biden.

Yes I saw the thread. Did you see the link I posted? 

image.png.794465bac780ddfa5df9c81d7cc73f6d.png

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Wrong again. Been to Vegas many times. Marvellous place.

The fact that Congress sets the budget does not excuse Biden for the way his administration spends it. 

Yes I saw the thread. Did you see the link I posted? 

image.png.794465bac780ddfa5df9c81d7cc73f6d.png

From your link:

”The capabilities in this package, valued at up to $150 million”

Let’s compare that to the $14.3 Billion Israel aid package unveiled  by the GOP and the US Federal Government Budget 2023, estimated to be $6.3 Trillion.

This Biden profligacy that seems to bother you represents fractionally over 1% of the handout the GOP are eager to give Israel and 0.00235% of the Federal Budget.

I accept $150 million might seem a great deal of money to those whose frame of reference is a very much smaller and significantly weaker economy, but in US Federal Government Budget terms it’s chump change.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

From your link:

”The capabilities in this package, valued at up to $150 million”

Let’s compare that to the $14.3 Billion Israel aid package unveiled  by the GOP and the US Federal Government Budget 2023, estimated to be $6.3 Trillion.

This Biden profligacy that seems to bother you represents fractionally over 1% of the handout the GOP are eager to give Israel and 0.00235% of the Federal Budget.

I accept $150 million might seem a great deal of money to those whose frame of reference is a very much smaller and significantly weaker economy, but in US Federal Government Budget terms it’s chump change.

The GOP already started how they would pay the 14.3 Billion. It's in the thread you alluded to. Did you not read it?

image.png.a61f73f5561ef75258739b229f1f0f60.png

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The GOP already started how they would pay the 14.3 Billion. It's in the thread you alluded to. Did you not read it?

image.png.a61f73f5561ef75258739b229f1f0f60.png

They’ve got to get it through the House first.

And yes we know the GOP are keen to cut the IRS, they don’t like it chasing people, particularly their very wealthy backers, to pay their tax dues.

Regardless, it’s a spend almost 100x that of you tell us Biden is squandering.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And yes we know the GOP are keen to cut the IRS, they don’t like it chasing people, particularly their very wealthy backers, to pay their tax dues.

Supply-side economics. 

Marvellous.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2