At least 16 feared dead in mass shootings in US city of Lewiston, Maine

Social Media

image.png

Police in the US city of Lewiston, Maine have warned a gunman is on the loose, with reports that at least 16 people have been killed.

Residents of the city, the second-largest in the state, have been told to shelter in place.

Police named Robert Card, 40, as a person of interest and said he should be considered "armed and dangerous".

The White House said President Joe Biden had been briefed on the situation and would continue to receive updates.

There were also multiple but unconfirmed reports of at least 50 people injured.

Billie Jayne Cooke, who is running for the city council in Lewiston, told BBC News Channel she had been leaving an event as details of the shooting emerged.

"The entire ride home was just solid sirens, one siren after another," she said.

"Helicopters, sirens, I've never heard so much activity in my life in this city. We have police from all over the state, from out of the state, coming up.

"The whole city's on lockdown. It's horrible. You just don't think that's ever going to happen and it did."

In a statement on X, formerly Twitter, Maine State Police said: "There is an active shooter in Lewiston.

"We ask people to shelter in place. Please stay inside your home with the doors locked."

Lewiston Police said it had responded to two locations, a restaurant called Schemengees, and Sparetime Recreation, a bowling alley.

The two locations appear to be about four miles (6.5km), or 10-minute drive, from each other.

The Central Maine Medical Center said it was reacting to a "mass casualty, mass shooter event" and was coordinating with other hospitals in the area to treat the injured.

The Androscoggin County Sheriff's Office released two images of a suspect, saying he was at large and asking for the public's help identifying him.

They showed a bearded man in a brown sweater carrying a firearm walking into a building.

Police also shared a photo of a white vehicle, saying its front bumper was believed to be painted black, and asked anybody who recognised it to contact police.

Lewiston Public Schools Superintendent Jake Langlais said in a statement that schools in the district would be closed on Thursday.

A statement from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas had been briefed and was continuing to monitor the situation.

"DHS is working closely with our federal, state and local partners to support the Lewiston community," it said.

A US justice department statement said that federal agencies were assisting state and local law enforcement.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Sad 7

At least 22 dead in Maine shootings, gunman at large

image.jpeg

In this image taken from video released by the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office, an unidentified gunman points a gun while entering Sparetime Recreation in Lewiston, Maine, on Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2023. / AP

At least 22 people were killed and “many, many more” were injured in shootings in the city of Lewiston, Maine Wednesday evening, local officials reported, with police saying that the gunman was still at large.

City Councilor Robert McCarthy told CNN that the death toll had risen to 22 in the shooting spree that took place at a bowling alley and also at least one other location, a local restaurant and bar, according to media.

“My understanding is that they have a tentative identification… of the shooter at the bowling alley, confirmed 22 dead, many, many more injured,” McCarthy said.

Local police posted a photo of the shooter on Facebook carrying what appeared to be a semi-automatic style weapon inside the bowling alley.

The bearded man wore a brown top, blue pants and brown shoes, and police asked for anyone with information on his identity to contact them immediately.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

28 minutes ago, James105 said:

It's so weird how this keeps happening in a country where guns like this are so freely available, yet doesn't happen in similar countries where guns are not so freely available.   I just cannot put my finger on why this might be.   If this guy happened to be in the UK or Australia and wanted to go on a murderous rampage then he obviously would have just used his car to enter the bowling alley (somehow) and kill 22 people, or perhaps used a very big kitchen knife to kill 22 people whilst they just stood there patiently waiting to be killed (rather than running away), so let us not pretend that the semi automatic AR-15 killing machine that happened to be used in this case is to blame here.   

Great point. These things never happen in countries with strong gun laws.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/24/norway-strict-gun-laws-circumvented

image.png.6e32e7a7aaab5c0f9ff6beb2d17bce09.png

• Confused 7
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, candide said:

Norway had two cases of gun-related deaths in 2022, how many in the U.S.?

Are the populations the same?

Is the Demographic the same?

The fact is, if someone wants to get their hands on guns they will. Breivik proved that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems to be yet another failed system check of laws (fed & state) already on the books.

Oh well ... 🔫

Too bad an armed citizen hasn't taken him out yet.  So much for lax law being of any help in this case, as you don't need a permit to carry in Maine, concealed or open.

In Philly, he wouldn't make it halfway down the block without someone capping his A$$ 🤣

• Confused 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seems to be yet another failed system check of laws (fed & state) already on the books.

Oh well ... 🔫

Too bad an armed citizen hasn't taken him out yet.  So much for lax law being of any help in this case, as you don't need a permit to carry in Maine, concealed or open.

In Philly, he wouldn't make it halfway down the block without someone capping his A$$ 🤣

What has Australian dollars got to do with it?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Perhaps, Neighbourhood Watch vigilante groups on every US suburban corner, fully armed with assault rifles, of course with permits to carry concealed or open, would be the way to go?

I would think those w/neighborhood watch groups do have less crime.  Though as shown, you are not going to stop nutters ... ever.

So I don't know what your silly comment was for ... oh yea, to elicit a response.   Was that good enough, tissues at the ready.  You already should know I'm pro firearms.

Any conversation about guns and or gun laws have been done to death.  Have a nice day.

R I P

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I have yet to see a post from you, in any thread, that is not a deflection. As several posters before me have already pointed out: over 500 mass shootings this year in the US, with more than two months to go. Want to bet we’re going to get to (at least) 600? Fall and winter are always good seasons to get a nice depression and go on a shooting spree.
And yet surprisingly few mass shootings (almost non existent) in countries with much stricter gun laws. I wonder if you can connect the dots…

Glad to see that the U.S. is so much a safer place because it's literally flooded with guns...  😞

• Thumbs Up 2