Thai woman arrested for money laundering suspicion at airport in Germany

snoop1130

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

If she could show a withdrawal bank statement she's in with a chance, otherwise the whole lot will be confiscated. strange that customs went to such extraordinary lengths for this woman, possibly a tip off.

Customs dogs are trained to sniff cash

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the money was legally obtained it would be easy to prove, but she'd still face a fine. 

If the money was illegally obtained, she's guilty of money laundering & failure to declare it with customs.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

If she could show a withdrawal bank statement she's in with a chance, otherwise the whole lot will be confiscated. strange that customs went to such extraordinary lengths for this woman, possibly a tip off.

Don't know about Germany but the UK have dogs that can smell cash. Here the RTP don't need dogs :cheesy:

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I agree, but sniffing cash hidden in the lining of a wallet? Wallets are where money is kept so a dog will react to a wallet which should make an officer dismiss the dogs reaction but no, they tear the wallet apart.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I agree, but sniffing cash hidden in the lining of a wallet? Wallets are where money is kept so a dog will react to a wallet which should make an officer dismiss the dogs reaction but no, they tear the wallet apart.

100,000 Euros in the lining of a wallet? That would be 1000 banknotes. Quite a pile

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

100,000 Euros in the lining of a wallet? That would be 1000 banknotes. Quite a pile

Most were found in the suitcase but the picture shows them also cutting open the wallet where additional money was found which I found extraordinarily thorough unless they knew it was there. The German customs aren't monsters, i remember an instance many years ago of a humerous pi$$ taking German rep of my company returning from Thailand with several boxes of cigars, he duly declared these to customs, they weren't a well known Thai brand and the customs lady balked at the idea of searching through huge lists to determine the minuscule amount of tax to be paid, she said she would let it go but he insisted, "I don't want to cheat the German customs and excise", so the poor lady spent another 15 minutes going through records to eventually charge him 5 Euros, then with a smile he produced 4 packets of Thai pipe tobacco whose brand name was written in Thai, "Oh I forgot about these", "please, just leave", "But the tax dear lady", "Just leave before you produce something else."

• Haha 1

Is it € 10 000:-? I thought it is $ 20 000.:-

From the Thai Embassy in London: Any person who brings or takes an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding USD20,000 or its equivalent out of or into Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Officer.

The Thai Embassy in Bern states $ 15.000.-

Very confusing...

On 10/27/2023 at 10:08 AM, JoseThailand said:

Yes, and it takes a long time to train them which cost a lot of money. And I am glad they have them. They can sniff drugs plants food money and even phones as I have seen on the news. A lot of Asian people arrive in Australia or other countries with a suitcase full of food which are not allowed and don't get me started on drugs. And where does she get over 100.000 Euros from, I like to know.