The Mall Group plans to extend opening hours to promote Thailand tourism

snoop1130

4936319.jpg

Thailand Mall Group Co-chairwoman Supaluck Umpujh proposed a novel strategy to invigorate the nation’s economy by attracting a greater influx of foreign tourists. She insists that the government’s ongoing efforts to enhance the tourism sector are moving in the right direction but advocates for the introduction of special incentives to stimulate investments in artificial tourist attractions across the nation.

Supaluck also highlighted the potential advantage of reconfiguring the zoning arrangements for tourist attractions, a step which could amplify their appeal to international visitors and thereby trigger a spending surge.

The Mall Group Co-chairwoman suggests that key locations like Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, and Krabi should extend service hours, mirroring the approach of popular destinations in nearby countries such as Indonesia’s Bali.

“Visitors tend to spend more when they have more time for enjoyment. To facilitate this, we must offer a range of attractions and entertainment options, both during the day and at night. These should provide educational and experiential elements that go beyond mere monetary value.”

By Alex Morgan

Caption: Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

I see her in front of the EMquartier, Emporium and soon to open Emsphere sign.

Suhhumvit already a mess even with Emsphere not as yet open.

For purely selfish reasons I hope they don't extend shopping hours, it already 10pm.

Also wouldn't hurt my feelings if they don't open any more of them.

• Haha 1

Open till 22h00 or 23h00 (10 or 11 pm) is decent enough for non food malls or stores, 7 days a week. On the other hand, the longer it's open daily, the fewer the crowds ont the week-end perhaps ?

In today's world, it could make sense not to open malls 24/7. But when it comes to essentials like food and with considering the large portion of society in urban metros do not have a 9 to 5 desk job......24/7 opening hours for food malls does make sense.

If the unions or policy makers refuse, it could lead to a faster implementation of A.i.  and unmanned grocery stores that are jutting out like mushrooms in major cities all over the world. With obvious consequences of loosing or reducing available jobs.

Edited by observer90210
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Visitors tend to spend more when they have more time for enjoyment. To facilitate this, we must offer a range of attractions and entertainment options, both during the day and at night. These should provide educational and experiential elements that go beyond mere monetary value.”

More waffle.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

Opening from 10 AM to 10 PM on 7 days a week, as is the norm with malls in Thailand, is already plenty.

How many additional shoppers do they hope to attract outside of those hours?

10 o clock is a ridiculously late time to be opening. This has always confused me. I had always assumed that there was some kind of obscure law which prevented them opening at sensible times.

• Sad 1

"advocates for the introduction of special incentives to stimulate investments in artificial tourist attractions across the nation"

This is the only thing she is really interested in. Incentives for her to expand her assets at someone else's expense

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Everyone knows that people plan trips around the hours of the malls, when the malls are open late millions of additional tourists show up to take advantage of the extended hours. Brilliant stuff. 

Nobody said that millions of additional tourists will show up specifically to take advantage of extended hours.

The idea is that if the mall is open, tourists who are already passing by are far more likely to buy things at the mall, than they would if it was closed.  I, for one, find it difficult to fault that logic.

6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

The idea is that if the mall is open, tourists who are already passing by are far more likely to buy things at the mall, than they would if it was closed.  I, for one, find it difficult to fault that logic.

I find it difficult to call that statement logic....more the absolutely obvious.

Shops sell more when they are open than closed.... genius!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I find it difficult to call that statement logic....more the absolutely obvious.

Shops sell more when they are open than closed.... genius!

I know, right. It's clearly not obvious to some, however.

*just for the benefit of any nit-pickers, of course being open doesn't necessarily guarantee that people will come in to buy things. But being closed does guarantee that they won't!

Edited by JayClay

20 hours ago, JackSinclair said:

it would be a great benefit to visitors and locals alike if businesses opened earlier instead of later. Some people get up and go early in the morning. Not everyone wants stays up all night.

I keep getting caught out by the late opening of some of the malls and am stood waiting, usually along with quite a number of other similar sad sods. Just don't see much use for a mall at 11pm.