They call Generation Z lazy ??

georgegeorgia

Does anyone else here work with Gen Z ers?

How are they in jobs etc

I was speaking to a guy at work last night whose brother is a police officer and 22yo , he was telling me 25% of police in Australia (Gen Z) are on PTSD leave because they can't cope ,

Western Australia just recently employed 500 older experienced police from the UK because Gen Z Aussies couldn't do the job !!!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

In my last 15 working years I averaged between 60 and 70 hours working a week, and the longest was 96 hours in Sri Lanka.

Breakfast around 4pm then off to work, lunch around 9 pm and dinner about 7 am for 3 weeks, 7 days a week.  

We should ask the Gen Z their opinions on that 😉

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

“ I know I borrowed $100,000 to get a degree in the Mating Habits of the Incas but can I get my student loan debt forgiven Also, my 4 hour shift at Starbucks is just too much for me?”.  

As a former Sociology major, I resemble that remark.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

As a former Sociology major, I resemble that remark.

I also knew the son of a former coworker who got his degree from my alma mater.  HIs diploma said "Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies". It took this young man 6 years of fulltime study and over $100,000 in student loans and $30,000 from old dad to get this degree.  He has not bean able to find a decent job and I suggested he might try and enlist in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Air Force.  The services sometimes payoff part of an enlistees student loan.  He would not consider military service because he can't handle stress, does not want to be yelled at, does not want share living areas and bathroom.  He also feels college should be free and fast food and other retail workers should make from $15 to $20 an hour.  In short this young man is hopeless.  More concerning is he is not alone amongst his age group. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

He has not bean able to find a decent job and I suggested he might try and enlist in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Air Force.   

As a former Sociology major, I can only guess how gratefully this advice was received.

No, I never saw dime-one out of Sociology. But it did get me the stupid desk job at the bank.

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Gen Z are a self entitled generation growing up watching tiktok and influencers travelling the globe taking selfies in gym mirrors.

They get depressed when they find out they have to go and do work , there are bills to be paid , 

And the best part , they actually have no social interaction skills with customers, all there friends are on Facebook 

Gen Z people faking mental disorders on TikTok 

Or maybe some of them are not faking?

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

On October 19, a TikToker named Brielle, who recently started a corporate job in the New York area, posted a video where she appeared visibly upset as she addressed the camera. The on-screen caption read, "in a 9-5 how do u have time for ur life." 

https://www.insider.com/college-graduate-upset-shock-working-nine-to-five-tiktok-2023-10

Oh dear, the poor child!

lol feck me.

I leave  home at 5am and home by 7pm.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

In my last 15 working years I averaged between 60 and 70 hours working a week, and the longest was 96 hours in Sri Lanka.

Breakfast around 4pm then off to work, lunch around 9 pm and dinner about 7 am for 3 weeks, 7 days a week.  

There is a risk that your health will deteriorate when you work too much. 

Future generations may work a lot less and retire much earlier with AI doing the heavy lifting.

But then they will need to learn how to "survive". Too much free time could lead to drug abuse, etc...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

lol feck me.

I leave  home at 5am and home by 7pm.

Long hours , 

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I also knew the father of a former coworker who started working in the 60's and did an average of a 90 hour week, 6 days a week for 'the man'. This man worked for 45 years in a soul-crushing job in the hope that it would all be worth his while when he retired with a healthy pension, but alas, it wasn't to be. The company he worked for crashed in the 2008 financial crisis after having robbed the pension fund. The big boss disappeared off the face of the earth, never to be seen again.

He was then forced to work in retail but because retail doesn't pay $15 to $20 an hour, he struggled from hand to mouth. He now lives in Pattaya eking out his meagre pension and trying desperately to enjoy the few remaining years he has left.   

More concerning is he is not alone amongst his age group. 

That's America 

This is a country that doesn't pay its unemployment benefits forever !

I think 6 months ?

In Australia we have young people unemployed for years because they get $300 a week on unemployment forever  plus discount travel and free medical,why would anyone want to bother to find a job 

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

There is a risk that your health will deteriorate when you work too much. 

Future generations may work a lot less and retire much earlier with AI doing the heavy lifting.

But then they will need to learn how to "survive". Too much free time could lead to drug abuse, etc...

I must remember that next May when I reach my 89th birthday

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

But I'd give away my own pile in a heartbeat to be 25 again.

Minus the 100-200K US in student loan debts. In many western countries, the chance for a gen zedder to ever own a home is a pipe dream. Many just stay linign with their parents as if they can get a job it would take years to put a downpayment of a house. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I also knew the father of a former coworker who started working in the 60's and did an average of a 90 hour week, 6 days a week for 'the man'. This man worked for 45 years in a soul-crushing job in the hope that it would all be worth his while when he retired with a healthy pension, but alas, it wasn't to be. The company he worked for crashed in the 2008 financial crisis after having robbed the pension fund. The big boss disappeared off the face of the earth, never to be seen again.

He was then forced to work in retail but because retail doesn't pay $15 to $20 an hour, he struggled from hand to mouth. He now lives in Pattaya eking out his meagre pension and trying desperately to enjoy the few remaining years he has left.   

More concerning is he is not alone amongst his age group. 

At least he made it to the Land of Smiles.  I know many who never will.  On my last trip back to Los Angeles I was shocked because lunch at Chipotle was $17 dollars. Chipotle is one of the fast food outlets that start at $15 to $17 an hour.  To pay workers at these rates means eating out might become a luxury.  "Work Life Balance" is now the favorite expression of people in their 20's and 30'.  This means less money but some still want the latest I phone 15.  Seems contradictory to me? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I was shocked because lunch at Chipotle was $17 dollars. Chipotle is one of the fast food outlets that start at $15 to $17 an hour.  

It costs about the same in Europe.

But they have decent financial aid for college and some kind of medical care. Yelling at the young for noticing this is futile.

Most younger people see little chance of achieving the things their parents did. I bought my first house at the age of 23, and paid  off the mortgage 5 years later. Next house cost 4 times as much, so a mortgage again, but had the deposit from the sale of the first house. Also finished university with no debt in those days.

My daughter in UK was able to buy a one bedroom apartment 10 years ago due to a well paid bank job, but it had plastic cladding like Grenfell tower (massive fire with many deaths) and now she cannot sell it. She is married now with 2 kids and a husband who still works in banking (very well paid) but they STILL cannot afford a house, they have to live in her M-in-L house along with brother of her husband. That is todays reality in the South-east of the UK. You either need rich parents, inheritance or a 50,000 GBP plus income to get on the housing ladder. Son also sees little prospect of ever owning a house until his mum dies. Also, for current genZ, university comes with a 50,000 GBP debt tag. Pay that off, buy a house, start a family, when? Renting also eats half your net income even for a single room in London. Easy to see why most see no future. The demographic implications are also massive, birth rates are plummeting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

It costs about the same in Europe.

But they have decent financial aid for college and some kind of medical care. Yelling at the young for noticing this is futile.

I do not yell. The other thing I noticed at many retail stores back in Southern California was the increasing number of self-checkout payment stations at places like Wal Mart, Target and Costco.  Even Home Depot had more self-checkout payment stations.  This means fewer workers who get paid more. Every grocery store(wiht the exception of Trader Joes) had more self checkout payment stations.  Low skiilled workers demanding higher pay has a cause and effect.  Those who have jobs in low skill positions will get more money but some of their coworkers will not be needed.  

Companies will rarely do the right thing.  They will always do what is in their best interest. 

• Like 1

I arrived here via Appalachia where you see your no people reality playing out hard. The young rightfully flee, there's no one available to make your taco or mow your lawn. At any price.

The only way a shop can make money is by selling pumpkin lattes to tourists -inside a "real" hardware store that used to be a real hardware store.

Racism prevents Mexicans solving these problems, but honestly? They've left this area to paint houses up North already. Their illegal wages are no longer at a discount anyway.

The hospital is a big employer, but no one wants the job in this Podunk that now all of the sudden it's a grand a month for rent. 'May as well live in a real place. In a decade, the average resident's age went from 56 to 68.

This is a snapshot of the typical Post-Trump landscape across the USA. These people, these towns, are wholly obsolete. They need help, they're not going to get it.

Don't you worry. We might no longer be around to see it happening but the "AWAKING" will be gruesome, once they realize, why the baby boomers could retire without financial worries, living in meanwhile paid houses, driving around in paid cars and enjoying life with their families. 

I - for one - have not the slightest clue, how the Generation Z wants to retire with what kind of money; I intend to spend the money I worked hard for, saved all my life. My kids were given a chunk of pre-inheritance, as they might need it now more than in 20+ years - hence I have no worries in spending my money my way. 

It's called the future, 20 hours working per week will be normal. To then know you are like more or less a decade in between, it gives little motivation. Certainly knowing the financial system + housing markets sooner or later need to crash and a new digital currency comes. Just to survive and live life seems all that is worth while for many.

I'm just in early 30s, and no I'm not lazy, I already did night shifts illegally when I was 15 in hospitality and tourism. But I also started to work less now, because I just see it isn't really worth working harder too, you more or less earn the same even. I can recall if I now go back home, i earn the same working 24-28 hours than when I work 40 hours, due to taxes.

I think the new generation is more aware of such things too than the older generation is, I see so many people who worked 5-10 years longer than necessary. In a world where 1/4 males die before 65, to then be promised a 'pension' at 70, what would you do. And then also not being able to buy a house. Then the choice to not take children, reduces costs even further but IMO also decreases motivation and urge to work hard.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Don't you worry. We might no longer be around to see it happening but the "AWAKING" will be gruesome, once they realize, why the baby boomers could retire without financial worries, living in meanwhile paid houses, driving around in paid cars and enjoying life with their families. 

I - for one - have not the slightest clue, how the Generation Z wants to retire with what kind of money; I intend to spend the money I worked hard for, saved all my life. My kids were given a chunk of pre-inheritance, as they might need it now more than in 20+ years - hence I have no worries in spending my money my way. 

Not sure how long you still expect to live but technology is not advancing in the same speed as it did since it started. You talk about a 5-10-20X speed in the next years, so within a decade you would already see most of the things. Within 15 years, for sure.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1