They call Generation Z lazy ??

georgegeorgia

21 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Your odds of having a conversation with an educated white woman are in the ballpark of mine of meeting Elvis.

As compared to here? I lived in the US 62 years, and knew hundreds of intelligent women there, of all races. If you listen to a woman, they might talk more with you.

23 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

They just hate the concept of work. Been given everything and treated like a baby by the family so when they get a job they cant handle having to work all the time without having a latte or a rest.

They seem to consider that a full days work is around 2 hours per day.

That's just the ones that actually work. Where I live there are a few youths that prefer to live on the dole ( despite jobs going begging for workers ) rather than do any work, even if they have no future.

Simple answer- stop the dole if work is available and if no one will employ them, make them cut grass for a government handout ( that's what they did in Singapore in the 70s- no dole. ).

23 hours ago, ravip said:

I wouldnt call that being lazy. Just that they dont want the extra money and want to chill out during the weekends.

Yeah but then they'll complain that those who do work extra OT and weekends make more money than they do. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

As compared to here? I lived in the US 62 years, and knew hundreds of intelligent women there, of all races. If you listen to a woman, they might talk more with you.

He's an old racist who mops floors. 

So no Mensa-women will be chatting him up.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

They just hate the concept of work. Been given everything and treated like a baby by the family so when they get a job they cant handle having to work all the time without having a latte or a rest.

They seem to consider that a full days work is around 2 hours per day.

I love generalizations like this. I do. I mean it. I agree. 100%. Not being sarcastic. 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I can recall if I now go back home, i earn the same working 24-28 hours than when I work 40 hours, due to taxes.

This is SO not true. Sure, you pay a higher percentage of taxes, but you also keep more in your pocket. 

I've heard this so many times, even from my own kids, I have to call it out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

In my last 15 working years I averaged between 60 and 70 hours working a week, and the longest was 96 hours in Sri Lanka.

Breakfast around 4pm then off to work, lunch around 9 pm and dinner about 7 am for 3 weeks, 7 days a week.  

If travel time is included, in London I spent 1 1/2 hours in a tube train to start work at 7 am, worked till 3 30 pm ( mealtime and tea breaks not included in work time ) and 1 1/2 hours back to home. I did that for 4 weeks with one weekend off a month. Oh the joy when I had earned enough to have a long break in Thailand.

I worked 3 weekends agency nursing in various hospitals and private homes, but Mon to Fri in a surgical theatre.

When I went back to work, I joined the staff so I didn't have to travel as I stayed in hospital accommodation, so 3 hours longer for myself- luxury.

The last year I worked 12 hour shifts 3 days a week which was brilliant for time off, but bad for pay as I didn't get to do any weekend work which was when I used to earn the big bucks on penal rates. Still, it made for a more relaxed lifestyle and I'd probably do it again.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Your odds of having a conversation with an educated white woman are in the ballpark of mine of meeting Elvis.

Gee, I must have met Elvis every day I went to work then. I worked with between 4 and 10 educated white women every working day for decades, and had loads of conversations with them.

Sometimes I even worked with educated non white women from over 20 different countries and had conversations with them too.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's just the ones that actually work. Where I live there are a few youths that prefer to live on the dole ( despite jobs going begging for workers ) rather than do any work, even if they have no future.

Simple answer- stop the dole if work is available and if no one will employ them, make them cut grass for a government handout ( that's what they did in Singapore in the 70s- no dole. ).

This is very true. Why work when you have your family support you and then complain how life is so unfair?

On 10/30/2023 at 2:18 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Gen Z are a self entitled generation growing up watching tiktok and influencers travelling the globe taking selfies in gym mirrors.

They get depressed when they find out they have to go and do work , there are bills to be paid , 

And the best part , they actually have no social interaction skills with customers, all there friends are on Facebook 

Just thinking...

WHO is responsible for bringing them up like that?

Don't forget that a large number of them will be inheriting a big chunk of change from their parents, who also inherited, or will inherit, a big chunk of change from their parents.  Famiies used to be large--my 5 siblings and I split our family trust 6 ways.  Now, there's usually just a couple of kids to split the inheritance.  A lot of wealth was created by the 'greatest generation', which tended to be thrifty, at least my parents were even when they no longer needed to be, and the baby boomers have been no slouches, either.  I know all my nieces and nephews--I'm not sure what generation category they fall under--will be inheriting nice sums at some point from their baby boomer parents, none of whom was lazy.  Their kids, I guess, would be Gen Z, and all that wealth will eventually go to them.  So some, I guess, can afford to be a little lazy and maybe not take work quite as seriously as previous generations did.

On 10/31/2023 at 10:01 PM, Photoguy21 said:

This is very true. Why work when you have your family support you and then complain how life is so unfair?

The ones I'm talking about are not supported by their families as their families are no hopers as well. They get money from the taxpayer because we had a <deleted> government for years.

Grew up with a chip on their shoulders.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrPancake said:

Gen Z wants to have a life worth living.

Seems reasonable to me.

The capitalist rat race is a scam anyway.

Not having a house and a car means not having debts.

Pretty smart if you ask me.

They want, but not prepared to do the hard work to have it. There is no free lunch, but some think there is.

I agree about the capitalists scam.

I don't mind renting, but it's not a secure life when I can be evicted any time.

If I didn't have a car I'd have no life. Not all of us live in cities with good public transport.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They want, but not prepared to do the hard work to have it. There is no free lunch, but some think there is.

I agree about the capitalists scam.

I don't mind renting, but it's not a secure life when I can be evicted any time.

If I didn't have a car I'd have no life. Not all of us live in cities with good public transport.

A life worth living isn't a life of hard work. Not for every one anyway.

It's true there is no free lunch and choosing the "soft life path" should imply accepting to live with less.

Problem is the system doesn't want that.

Less solvable consumers, more old people.

The world demography is crashing.

That reality is hidden by pockets of booming demography but those pockets will eventually disappear.

Capitalists need people to work more in order for their economic model to survive in a contracting world.

So it's not really about gen Z not wanting to work.

It's about capitalists being pissed off about it.

imo anyway...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:12 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The ones I'm talking about are not supported by their families as their families are no hopers as well. They get money from the taxpayer because we had a <deleted> government for years.

Grew up with a chip on their shoulders.

They need to realise that the world doesn't owe you anything, but I doubt if they will realise it.

On 11/6/2023 at 5:00 PM, MrPancake said:

Capitalists need people to work more in order for their economic model to survive in a contracting world.

We ( in the western world ) seemed to live quite well when there were only 3 billion people on the planet, but of course millionaires were a rare breed.

The rest of us were mostly happy there were not many millionaires.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not only do they not realise that, but they think it's their right to live off other people's work.

Just press that button and a nurse will be in to see you as soon as they can.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We ( in the western world ) seemed to live quite well when there were only 3 billion people on the planet, but of course millionaires were a rare breed.

The rest of us were mostly happy there were not many millionaires.

I don't get your point. Sorry.

On 11/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, bwanajohn said:

Can you ever recall a new generation not being called lazy by the former generation.

Goddam long haired hippies smoking pot all day.

It's been going on for even longer than that:-

'“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

SOCRATES c. 470–399 BC (which is coincidentally around the time many of the posters here were born)

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2023 at 10:47 PM, MrPancake said:

I don't get your point. Sorry.

I made 4 points. Which one do you need explained?

1/ we in the west lived just fine when there were less people on the planet.

2/ people not in the west didn't live as well as we did.

3/ There were not many millionaires.

4/ it was good that there were not many millionaires

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I made 4 points. Which one do you need explained?

1/ we in the west lived just fine when there were less people on the planet.

2/ people not in the west didn't live as well as we did.

3/ There were not many millionaires.

4/ it was good that there were not many millionaires

And your point being ?

giphy.gif