Forum upgrade in progress! ×

BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

26 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Latest from Facebook, via my girlfriend:

The first batch of Seals delivered to Thailand (that includes mine) have old software. All the latest deliveries have an updated version.

The new version allows the ice cream van and wind whistling through the haunted house sounds to be turned off.

The new version also enables OTA updates while the older doesn’t.

You can identify your version by going to the ITAC page in the infotainment screen. If it says TORTURE instead of TORQUE, you have the old version.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

ALL Seals have OTA update capabilities, that was always part of the package - there are probably no EVs sold these days that don't have that feature.

4 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

The reason why there are different comments about how hot the glass roof gets is in the film quality. A cheap film will actually increase the inside glass temperature (the dark film absorbs more photons/energy) while a high quality film reflects more light back instead of absorbing the energy.

Don't skimp of the film quality, you will regret it as long as you own the car. I paid THB 29,500 for film all around. (Lamina EV special something) One additional benefit is the transparency from the inside is higher than from the outside, i.e. it reduces visibility of who sits in the car, while still gives good night visibility.

I am not convinced that putting film on the sunroof on the inside of the car is the way to go.  Most heat has already been absorbed by the glass's tint & the new film reflecting it back is likely to be absorbed again by the glass's tint.

I think the way to go is to prevent the heat (infra-red radiation) from reaching the glass and therefore prevent the glass from getting hot.  hot glass will radiate it's heat regardless of what film is on there.  That means installing the film on the outside is the way to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any Seal owners thinking about de-badging or de-chroming ?

As we have lost the Build Your Dreams logo I am guessing few will consider de-badging now but I have seen a few changing the chrome badges to black ( or gold on one occasion 🙄 ).

Personally with such a small amount of chrome on the car, badges and wheels, i think changing to black colour makes perfect sense.

For the badges plastic covers are available but not for all the lettering ( only larger BYD, 3.8s and AWD ) and make the lettering decidedly chunky !!

Stickers are available to cover the silver colour on the wheels but I honestly can’t see them lasting.

So am considering Plasti Dip, seems like a simple DIY option and preferable to remove/paint and refit imho.

Whether Plasti Dip would work on the wheels I am not sure due to the material.

Any thoughts ??

When selecting window film/tinting and the goal is to reduce as much "heat" as possible be sure to concentration on the film's "Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER)" rating vs all the other ratings/specs like IRR, UV, VLT, etc.    Some companies do make film specificity for sunroofs where the goal is to reduce TSER as much as possible....but it comes at a higher price.  Solar Gard makes such a sunroof film called Panoramic and Sunroof which has a TSER up to 82% compared to the more typical TSER rating of around 60-65% for good quality film.  

https://www.caranddriver.com/car-accessories/a37068466/top-car-window-tint-for-heat-reduction

How to Choose the Top Car Window Tint for Heat Reduction

When choosing the top car window tint, there are some factors to consider. These include:

• Price - How much are you willing to pay for your window tints? Setting a budget is an easy way to narrow down your options.
  • Legality - Some states ban dark tint, while others ban reflective tint. Other states have restrictions on the percentage of your windshield that the tint can cover. You should consult your state's department of motor vehicles before purchasing window tints. In some cases, clear crystalline tints might be your only option.
  • Quality - If you want a window tint that lasts, go with carbon or ceramic tints. These higher-quality tints don't fade as fast as other tints, and they have higher scratch resistance.
  • UV Blockage - You want a tint that is good at blocking harmful UV rays. Not only will such a tint protect your car's interior, but it will also protect you. Window tints with a reflective quality will prevent rays from getting trapped in your car.
  • Pre-cut Vs. Rolled - You can purchase rolls of tint and cut them to fit your car windows, or you can buy custom-fitted window tints. Keep in mind that pre-cut tints are more expensive.
  • Visible Light Transmission - Manufacturers label window tints with percentages indicating how much visible light they let into the car. The lower the percentage, the darker your car's cabin will be. Tints with lower percentages can be a hazard when driving at night.
  • Heat Dispersion - To find out how much heat a tint actually disperses, combine the tint's UV, visible light transmission, and infrared ratings. This will tell you the tint's total solar energy rejection (TSER). The higher the TSER, the better a tint can reduce heat.

https://solargard.co.th/products/automotive-films/Panoramic-and-Sun-Roof

image.png.440a793fa0c14e81fd1c442b89394377.png

image.png.fed2d5b5558e641ec608cb228c979043.png

image.png.6d453144bb576ad21b85e9c51b65154d.png

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

When selecting window film/tinting and the goal is to reduce as much "heat" as possible be sure to concentration on the film's "Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER)" rating vs all the other ratings/specs like IRR, UV, VLT, etc.    Some companies do make film specificity for sunroofs where the goal is to reduce TSER as much as possible....but it comes at a higher price.  Solar Gard makes such a sunroof film called Panoramic and Sunroof which has a TSER up to 82% compared to the more typical TSER rating of around 60-65% for good quality film.  

https://www.caranddriver.com/car-accessories/a37068466/top-car-window-tint-for-heat-reduction

https://solargard.co.th/products/automotive-films/Panoramic-and-Sun-Roof

image.png.440a793fa0c14e81fd1c442b89394377.png

image.png.fed2d5b5558e641ec608cb228c979043.png

image.png.6d453144bb576ad21b85e9c51b65154d.png

I don't think those numbers are going to be right on an already tinted glass roof.  Everything the film reflects is going to be absorbed by the tinted roof panel and make it hotter.

The roof is probably already blocking more than 90% of heat and light, but unless the roof has a reflective exterior coating, the roof panel is absorbing the heat and getting hot in the sun.  You could tint it to 100% on the underside and it will still get just as hot.

On my second test drive, I checked the roof and it was not letting the heat of the sun through, but when it was stationary the glass panel was getting very hot and that made my head uncomfortable.  No thin film on the inside of the roof can reduce that.

The problem with that glass panel, is it is not reflecting IR but absorbing it, it needs a solution to either reflect it before it hits the panel or something below it to stop the glass panel radiating the heat onto your head (which they do provide).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Any Seal owners thinking about de-badging or de-chroming ?

As we have lost the Build Your Dreams logo I am guessing few will consider de-badging now but I have seen a few changing the chrome badges to black ( or gold on one occasion 🙄 ).

Personally with such a small amount of chrome on the car, badges and wheels, i think changing to black colour makes perfect sense.

For the badges plastic covers are available but not for all the lettering ( only larger BYD, 3.8s and AWD ) and make the lettering decidedly chunky !!

Stickers are available to cover the silver colour on the wheels but I honestly can’t see them lasting.

So am considering Plasti Dip, seems like a simple DIY option and preferable to remove/paint and refit imho.

Whether Plasti Dip would work on the wheels I am not sure due to the material.

Any thoughts ??

I hate badges on cars.

I have 2 sets of the black BYD badges for the front & back.  The front I will use because if you remove the badge it will leave a BYD indentation.

I have the BYD, 3.8S and AWD badges in black for the back, but I think I will remove every badge and just replace the 3.8S badge with the black one, I don't want the SEAL badge either, I prefer the clean look.

I consider the AWD badge to be crass, much like the Twin Cam, 16v, ABS, Turbo & worst of all Skyactiv Technolgy, all total b?ll?cks.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I hate badges on cars.

I have 2 sets of the black BYD badges for the front & back.  The front I will use because if you remove the badge it will leave a BYD indentation.

I have the BYD, 3.8S and AWD badges in black for the back, but I think I will remove every badge and just replace the 3.8S badge with the black one, I don't want the SEAL badge either, I prefer the clean look.

I consider the AWD badge to be crass, much like the Twin Cam, 16v, ABS, Turbo & worst of all Skyactiv Technolgy, all total b?ll?cks.

I bought 2 sets of the large BYD badge 

IMG_1647.thumb.jpeg.fd699d54d286fc048eb4608ed607773d.jpeg

and will definitely put on front and back, the other 2 ( small BYD and SEAL ) i will probably test with Plasti Dip , if happy with the results maybe do Plasti Dip on the front and back large BYD also.

That only leaves chrome ( colour ) on the wheels which I would like to delete also.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't think those numbers are going to be right on an already tinted glass roof.  Everything the film reflects is going to be absorbed by the tinted roof panel and make it hotter.

The roof is probably already blocking more than 90% of heat and light, but unless the roof has a reflective exterior coating, the roof panel is absorbing the heat and getting hot in the sun.  You could tint it to 100% on the underside and it will still get just as hot.

On my second test drive, I checked the roof and it was not letting the heat of the sun through, but when it was stationary the glass panel was getting very hot and that made my head uncomfortable.  No thin film on the inside of the roof can reduce that.

The problem with that glass panel, is it is not reflecting IR but absorbing it, it needs a solution to either reflect it before it hits the panel or something below it to stop the glass panel radiating the heat onto your head (which they do provide).

Oh, you'll get no argument from me that external film would reflect more heat than internal film.  But the reason external window film has never been popular is because it's exposed to the environment such as rain, snow, bird droppings, bugs, etc., which dulls/dirties the film and can also easily get nicked/damaged/scratched/etc.  And pretty expensive.   Supposedly after 2 to 3 years external film might not be looking so good due to exposure to the environment/weather.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Oh, you'll get no argument from me that external film would reflect more heat than internal film.  But the reason external window film has never been popular is because it's exposed to the environment such as rain, snow, bird droppings, bugs, etc., which dulls/dirties the film and can also easily get nicked/damaged/scratched/etc.  And pretty expensive.   Supposedly after 2 to 3 years external film might not be looking so good due to exposure to the environment/weather.

I agree with you on longevity, I can’t see any external film lasting longer than 3-5 years, I think that’s the average length of a wrap.  I hope the black film on the MG4 roof doesn’t need replacing every 3-5 years.

I will probably fit external film on mine, I will ask the guy who wrapped my previous EV what he can do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since I got my car, I have heard two different turn signal sounds:

The normal tick-tock sound and one which is two musical notes. They seem to sound randomly. It's certainly not a problem, thankfully.

Anyone any idea what's going on?

13 minutes ago, macahoom said:

The normal tick-tock sound and one which is two musical notes. They seem to sound randomly. It's certainly not a problem, thankfully.

I think it is connected to the pedestrian warning sounds at less than 30km. If you have changed that sound ( from ice cream van to spaceship 😊 ) that could be the reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thanks!

I was just about to go down to the garage to check that out. Saved me the trouble!

Interesting:

In your video, under Engine Sound Simulator, yours reads "PLAY" - mine, with the older software, reads "STANDARD".

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am impressed to see the glass roof was so cool, it looks like the tint treatment is doing its job, maybe it is surface coated after all.

A few days ago, in Phuket on a sunny day (about 32C), when my Seal was parked in full sun, I could not hold my hand on the inside of the roof glass for more than one second because it was so hot. I mean seriously hot.

And I have film installed.

As I said in an earlier post, the differing reports about the sunroof are a bit strange.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

May not be HD yet

Yes, this is a ridiculous oversight by BYD. What a rigmarole! What were they thinking?

One less step for you when using the voice command: If you use the button on the steering wheel, there's no need to say, "Hi BYD."

Either say, "Hi BYD" without pressing the button, or simply press the button and she's ready to receive your command.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Okay, we're not gonna get retrofitted seat memory buttons, but surely BYD will include a voice command in a future software update?

The most elegant solution is 2 keys or 2 NFC cards that restore the seats to separate stored positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The most elegant solution is 2 keys or 2 NFC cards that restore the seats to separate stored positions.

Or 1 key with two buttons to open the car, D1 and D2.

Or press once to open with position D1 and twice for D2.

Edited by JBChiangRai