Burning your bridges.

bob smith

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yeh I burned all of my bridges, few regrets but still in contact with my daughter but only email, who came here last year and I hadn't seen her for 29yrs !  she's coming again next year but for a bit longer. 

Me too, bit of a gamble, but, been here a long time now........😊

• Thumbs Up 1

Came here when I was 19 and will be 61 next month. Way back then it wasn't easy to keep in touch with people so no real bridges from the beginning. In the time I have been here, I have only been back to Blighty a handful of times and of those, only two trips were for holidays. Only still in touch with me dad, sister and a close friend and even then I only call home about 3 times a year. Will go back next year for a week or two as my old man is knocking on a bit now (92 next month). 

Edited by GarryP
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bob smith said:

that, my friend, is a good idea.

Been there done that, I had to stay for 3months I only met up with 2 friend one was a friend I made here and he and his Thai wife let me stay in an old campervan in his garden, I had little money and was there just to sort out my finances. not see any family. 

• Like 2

Just now, brianthainess said:

Been there done that, I had to stay for 3months I only met up with 2 friend one was a friend I made here and he and his Thai wife let me stay in an old campervan in his garden, I had little money and was there just to sort out my finances. not see any family. 

nice. 

well thanks for the inspiration! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

nice. 

well thanks for the inspiration! :thumbsup:

That was 12 yrs ago, all I had to pay was my share of the electric, Eating together at six pm and watching the Simpsons was compulsory :cheesy: he rented 3 rooms out to students 2 rooms were couples. I didn't really want to leave but my future wife was waiting for me back here. If I hadn't been able to stay there my last resort was buy and old diesel transit van for 500 quid. and throw a mattress in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That was 12 yrs ago, all I had to pay was my share of the electric, Eating together at six pm and watching the Simpsons was compulsory :cheesy: he rented 3 rooms out to students 2 rooms were couples. I didn't really want to leave but my future wife was waiting for me back here. If I hadn't been able to stay there my last resort was buy and old diesel transit van for 500 quid. and throw a mattress in there.

where theres a will theres a way! 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

where theres a will theres a way! 😉 

I pre-planned my trip looking for rooms to rent, somewhere where I was familiar with, I only got one offer, I was 60yo at the time, then out of the blue after all my searches my mate then told me I could stay with him in Brighton 👍🏻 how cool was that.

15 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I was waiting for this bit and you left it to the end. This is exactly my plan and all that nonsense about never sell your home, is exactly that ...nonsense.

What do you mean it's nonsense?

I'm having two minds about selling my home in Australia when I retire to Asia 

What if something happens,I need to come back to Australia

15 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I was waiting for this bit and you left it to the end. This is exactly my plan and all that nonsense about never sell your home, is exactly that ...nonsense.

I agree with both the post by @MarkyM3 and yourself.  We have not 'burned the bridge' but we did burn everything on the other side to the ground. We have no intentions of ever returning, but we will maintain our Passports and therefore the right to go back at any time it is ever needed. Fully burning the bridge means giving up citizenship and letting your Passport expoire.  Becoming a Citizen or PR is just not an option in my situation, so therefore IMO having the option of going back is wise.  You never know if you are going to get a serious medical problem that will take years and lots of money that you dont have to treat. You never know if your 'Tourist' Visa is going to be cancelled for some breach of Thai laws or from a run-in with a powerful Thai person. And many other reasons.  Dont burn the bridge, but burn/sell everything on the other side.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Rent for a while, then buy - if you have the money.

Not sure of your CLink situation, but if you have that 'asset' it can affect your payments.

Likewise, any rent you receive will be taxable from $1 onwards - no tax free threshold when not a 'Tax Resident' (check ATO site).

Main issue is to have an 'address' that you will be able to use for many years - family member or a good friend.

Before leaving 'move' into that house (get a rental agreement for 1 room) and change to that address with everyone (Govt, Banks, Licence, etc). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

You fly back in a plane, not a house.

There is nothing that having the funds can't achieve.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

You fly back in a plane, not a house.

There is nothing that having the funds can't achieve.

Nothing wrong with hedging your bets.

A Thai who gets permanent resident in <insert western country> is essentially treated the same as a citizen

As a foreigner in Thailand, with the exception of a tiny percentage of one percent who get permanent resident status you will always be nothing more than  a long stay tourist, extending that annual visa and those 90 day reports.

The Thai government could click their fingers and change the rules overnight.

So that escape plan shouldn't be viewed as fanciful, but more of an essential part of living in Thailand

21 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

you will always be nothing more than  a long stay tourist, extending that annual visa and those 90 day reports.

5 year visa and applied to extend to 20 yrs. A non issue for me.

'you will always be nothing more than a long stay tourist' - said nobody of affluent means, because we simply don't care! 

Monaco citizenship only requires 1m euro! Maybe they will have me.

My bets are hedged via being completely liquid/invested against inflation and currency exchange.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Nothing wrong with hedging your bets.

A Thai who gets permanent resident in <insert western country> is essentially treated the same as a citizen

As a foreigner in Thailand, with the exception of a tiny percentage of one percent who get permanent resident status you will always be nothing more than  a long stay tourist, extending that annual visa and those 90 day reports.

So that escape plan shouldn't be viewed as fanciful, but more of an essential part of living in Thailand

You forget you are only talking about foreign men.

It's way easier for a foreign woman married to a Thai man.

As for being elderly and  alone in Thailand,

Again only a problem for you as you married a Thai woman too old to have children with you.

• Confused 1