Burning your bridges.

bob smith

Most of my bridges have been 'burned' by death. Not too many contacts back in Oz now - which makes organizing matters financial for my partner post-my-mortem increasingly difficult (because Oz law requires all sorts of things to be signed off by an Oz resident).

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Most of my bridges have been 'burned' by death. Not too many contacts back in Oz now - which makes organizing matters financial for my partner post-my-mortem increasingly difficult (because Oz law requires all sorts of things to be signed off by an Oz resident).

ahh i see.

sorry to hear about your situation mate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Same for me, my last 2 elderly pals died in April and September this year, my last relative is in the middle stages of dementia.

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bob smith said:

im an alcoholic.

but i dont like associating with expat loser alcoholics.

they always have a story. and are always looking for a handout. 

they are as bad as the locals in that regard.

Green tea, Bob! :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Guys (and gals, I suppose) who end up here tend to be free-floating atomic particles like myself. We're nucleus-resistant. I like being in a big soup of such people.

kind of a personal question, but did you consume a lot of acid in your youth? 😄 

Edited by bob smith
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Deaths some bridge burning have occurred back home. I still have quite a few childhood friends I maintain contact with. It is always great to get together for a possum when I do get back to UK on business. No relatives left except my brother and I burned his bridge down years ago. 

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Get in contact with the appropriate State Public Trustee and tell them of your situation and that you want to make a Will and appoint them as the Executor.  It is free - any advice and writing of the Will - they take a fee from the Estate (much lower than a Lawyer).  Ask them what to do - you and the partner may have to go visit Australia and sign some paperwork - but maybe it can be done using the Aust Embassy in Bangkok as a witness JP.   We did all that before we left - and they were great and very helpful (I used the QLD Public Trustee - my last address). 

If you do have to visit Aust, make sure you tell CLink (International Group) before you go - explain why you are returning and for how long and that you will still be living in Thailand going forward (they might decide you have returned otherwise - portability issues then).  

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Get in contact with the appropriate State Public Trustee and tell them of your situation and that you want to make a Will and appoint them as the Executor.  It is free - any advice and writing of the Will - they take a fee from the Estate (much lower than a Lawyer).  Ask them what to do - you and the partner may have to go visit Australia and sign some paperwork - but maybe it can be done using the Aust Embassy in Bangkok as a witness JP.   We did all that before we left - and they were great and very helpful (I used the QLD Public Trustee - my last address). 

If you do have to visit Aust, make sure you tell CLink (International Group) before you go - explain why you are returning and for how long and that you will still be living in Thailand going forward (they might decide you have returned otherwise - portability issues then).  

Thanks. Noted. Will certainly consider Public Trustee when necessary.

• Thanks 1

With friends you all just move on that's normal especially when you move to Thailand or they move elsewhere.

Family everyone just dies eventually and you lose contact or it gets less and less.

Would selling a house include burning bridges? Not planning on doing that for 15 years

Edited by scubascuba3