It is time to abolish the death penalty in Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am a supporter of the death penalty.

What is the point of feeding and housing murderers, rapists and other bad criminals.

Kill them, problem solved. They won't do any harm anymore.

The critical point is obviously that no innocent people should be killed. This is why there need to be no doubt at all that the person committed the crime. It seems with many murderers and rapists there is no doubt. Delete them from the earth. It will be a better place after that.

norway-massacre.jpg

Only ignorant imbeciles will vote for death penalty🎃

• Confused 1

I would imagine there would not be so much support for death sentences if, in cases that would otherwise warrant a death sentence, the guilty party was sentenced to WHOLE LIFE IMPRISONMENT, in harsh and not holiday camp conditions, with absolutely no parole EVER for any reason.

This is a forum about Thailand, is it not? Why are arguments here mainly related to the USA (with its strange justice system)? If anyone is for or against the death penalty in Thailand, please provide supporting examples from Thailand and not from the US.
Which innocent people (and when) have been executed in Thailand?
How does the cost comparison - life versus death penalty - compare in Thailand?

etc.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Studies from the U.S. reveal that a death penalty case can cost up to three times more than imprisoning an inmate for life without parole. This amount includes not just the actual execution but also the extended legal processes, including appeals, which are inherently part of a system

My opinion, I am For the Death Penalty, If a murderer , rapist,Child molester, Mass shooter , is proven/confessed Her/His Guilt there's No need for Appeals .

A trial and proven guilty cost nothing more then a normal trial and the execution can be done  for a couple Thai Baht ( one bullet) so it doesn't cost what they say it will cost no matter what they say. 

Before one starts Arguing ,in my family we had a girl Sexually assaulted  and  done same to his own young Daughter cops did <deleted> All .

So he done this for a couple times . in the end he went to jail , That's Wrong They should've stopped him after the First Assault and kept him locked up but no he done a couple years and got out on parole. I couldn't get near him If I could've I would've stopped him from Breathing .

I don't care what people say, just wait until same happens in their family, like Wife, Daughter, young son. 

• Thumbs Up 2

NO , and it should be made a public ,,, regular  and a totally horrific spectacle  ,,, impalement  would be good

also in UK  keeping people locked up is expensive ,, and a waste of time   ,, rehabilitation is a myth   ,,,

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, retarius said:

No, no, no, no, no. But do it much, much quicker.....also do a little better with the justice system to ensure guilt., we don't want to be executing any innocents such as might have happened after the appallingly fraudulent investigation on Ko Tao.

I cannot believe there are others out there who think like me about this issue. It had gladdened my heart.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

An emotive subject for sure and as a father, I cannot imagine how I would feel if something happened to my own child BUT there are just far too instances of miscarriages of justice for it to be vindicated.

Life however should mean life and I for one think spending the rest of your life in a Thai prison is certainly the kind of punishment that many deserve. The death penalty would be a relief to many of these people so I say let them suffer. 

Many here saying these murderers should be murdered by the state to prevent them going back on the streets and killing again.

What does life in prison without parole mean? Think about it. Take all the time you need.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Many here saying these murderers should be murdered by the state to prevent them going back on the streets and killing again.

What does life in prison without parole mean? Think about it. Take all the time you need.

Hang some one   £1 of rope ,,, can be used many times ,, lock them up for life   is several million $  

huge waste resources  time and money  which could be used  for  hospitals etc   and not visible deterent

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Purdey said:

It means (to me at least) that these murdering scum will NEVER have a life outside of prison, which  is more on a par with those they have murdered who will also never have a life again.  Why should a murderer ever have  something more than his/her victim will have?    If the victim is dead, then so should the murderer be too!

Edited by prakhonchai nick

There is no such thing as CIVILISED  , human nature trumps everything we are just intelligent apes     some are good  some are bad    ,, life imprisonment is a huge waste of societies resources    ,, death is quick cheap and effective ,, and yes some innocents are   caught up  in it but   so what,, ther eis no such thing as perfection in  life especially our so called ''justice '' systems ..

Some crimes/criminals deserve the death penalty; they don't deserve to live even in prison. Just an example, someone who is 100% guilty of raping and burning alive a baby, can't see them ever being a productive member of society EVER. And for all those that say give them life in prison; taxpayers will be picking up the bill for this.

So now, go ahead an start the debate about; "What about all the innocent people that have been exonerated because of DNA evidence? What if it was you on death row and you were innocent?" I did say 100% guilty and I have no answer on the "if it was you and you were innocent question."

20 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Should be life imprisonment without parole or pardon, for murder, rape and drugs.

Much higher fines for drunk driving, years behind bars, and automatically impound and sell the vehicle.

Then they can abolish the death penalty.

Countries simply do not have the facilities or resources these days. 

For first degree murder, and especially for multiple murders, the killers should get the death penalty.

In Canada, the Canadian population never got to vote to end the death penalty. It was done by politicians.

A life sentence in Canada is not a life sentence, just 25 years no matter how many killed is considered

the humane amount of time for a person in prison, and that is just wrong.

IMO of course.

17 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Hang some one   £1 of rope ,,, can be used many times ,, lock them up for life   is several million $  

huge waste resources  time and money  which could be used  for  hospitals etc   and not visible deterent

Aside from the fact you associate human life with money, which is horrible in itself, you didn't understand that every person wrongly executed was found guilty beyond reasonable doubt (obviously), then later found innocent. You also don't understand that the legal system is expensive what with speaks and the cost of lawyers (you know that money thing). It is often more expensive to execute someone than imprison then for life. See the attached information which can be found easily. 

Granted, everything is more expensive in some countries than others but you can't look at people as economic goods.

As an aside, in Thailand, for instance, arresting Burmese for crimes committed by Thais is not unusual. 

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

It means (to me at least) that these murdering scum will NEVER have a life outside of prison, which  is more on a par with those they have murdered who will also never have a life again.  Why should a murderer ever have  something more than his/her victim will have?    If the victim is dead, then so should the murderer be too!

Killing someone that is later found innocent is a tremendous burden to carry. 

Do not forget, all those on death row who were found guilty of murder beyond reasonable doubt - and then exonerated - must have felt something too.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, ross163103 said:

It means they have the opportunity to kill a fellow prisoner, or innocent guard in prison.

Or there is an opportunity that they are found innocent when DNA proves they didn't do it. Too late once they are dead.

Average cost of incarceration in the  US

There were more than 1.2 million people in prison in 2020, according to data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Spending per prisoner varies widely across states, from about $18,000 per prisoner in Mississippi to $135,978 per prisoner in Wyoming in 2020. States spent an average of $45,771 per prisoner for the year.

Twisted Manila Rope Jute Rope (3/4 in x 50 ft) Natural Thick Hemp Rope

$28.49 on Amazon

could propbably get 6 good uses out of it !

• Haha 1

Knowing that I might step on some toes but pedophiles, rapists and drug dealers are to be exterminated for good. It will not reverse the tremendous damage to society they did already but it will ensure that they never ever will be able to commit similar offenses. 
European pussyfooting around these subjects has proven over and over, that it does NOT work. Women got raped by the same culprits after lenient sentencing, a pedophile cannot be fixed and hence can damage another child anytime again and drug dealers know exactly what they are doing. 
Society needs to be protected by potential repeaters and those three categories belong there. Albeit psychiatrists come up with all sorts of tests, certificates and reports but society comes first. 
Needless to say that a case has to be absolutely waterproof before sending anyone to the gallows. The US system is far too complicated and lawyer's fodder to no end which can and did result in locking up innocent people. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Purdey said:

Or there is an opportunity that they are found innocent when DNA proves they didn't do it. Too late once they are dead

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.

I see too many cases like the one I attached that could've been prevented; now in this example six lives were taken needlessly and multiple family members affected for the rest of their lives all because a scumbag that doesn't deserve to live "paid his debt to society", and was let out.

Another example I've linked--if it's allowed, is a guy who killed his 92 year old grandmother with a hammer, sent to prison for only 18 years, got out then set fire to a house to draw firefighters in, then shot four of them killing two. If he would've been put to death two lives would've been saved and numerous lives wouldn't have been negatively affected by this monster. You have to admit, someone who kills his grandmother with a hammer probably shouldn't be allowed back into society, and in my opinion should have been out to death.

I will admit systems aren't perfect and innocent people have been put to death. Life is not perfect and no perfect justice system exists.

This will be my last post on this as it's an issue that is black and white for most people and no amount of discussion will change whichever view they believe, kind of like the "Do you believe in god" thread that's been running for years on here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/webster-gunman-bushmaster-left-chilling-note/story%3fid=18062121

Could contain: