State of recently build condos in Pattaya, example The Base

vangrop

10 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I could consider living here with ocean view.

Otherwise, not interested in hi rise condo cell with 1x1,5m balcony... like I saw in Copacabana.

https://www.thailand-property.com/ads/3-bedroom-condo-for-sale-in-sugar-beach-condominium-nong-prue-chonburi_3a1955356f0e-0ade-8196-2baa-e6f0f3c3

Nice--I'd go maybe two floors higher.

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

I could consider living here with ocean view.

Otherwise, not interested in hi rise condo cell with 1x1,5m balcony... like I saw in Copacabana.

https://www.thailand-property.com/ads/3-bedroom-condo-for-sale-in-sugar-beach-condominium-nong-prue-chonburi_3a1955356f0e-0ade-8196-2baa-e6f0f3c3

That is genuinely my idea of hell.

The decor sucks, the windows will be nasty, probably a boring pool and terrible gym no doubt.

Cleaning it will take forever.

The positives will be nice people around you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lexxy said:

Not only are there no bugs up high, The temperature is much cooler and if you have a corner unit the breeze is amazing.

Screenshot2024-01-12at9_05_28am.thumb.png.6428e3f9d513aa8a8ba637eebb26319a.png

I have a lower floor unit, great sea breezes and no bugs, plus easy access if there's a fire or lift issues, the benefits of a higher up condo are over rated

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

My ideal sea view would be low rise overlooking a fishing harbour or marina where you can actually observe some activity of interest while enjoying a drink on the balcony. Just looking out onto a vast empty expanse of ocean which is typically what's on offer here isn't something I'd personally go out of my way to seek or pay a premium for. I have a spacious balcony in a low rise condo overlooking tropical central gardens, works for me relaxing reading a book or having a coffee, very peaceful. 

You've nailed it, weirdly some like looking out at nothingness 

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have a lower floor unit, great sea breezes and no bugs, plus easy access if there's a fire or lift issues, the benefits of a higher up condo are over rated

lol funny guy..

On 1/11/2024 at 1:03 PM, Celsius said:

This is the classic bull that so many dumb foreigners are actually believing it.

All these "sold out" units start to magically appear few years later.

Now, why is that? If you don't know the answer, I do.

Being in the industry these "sold out" units are sold. The developer may withhold a small percentage of the best units to maximise on their value later in the construction process.  A lot are bought in multiple unit lots by investors/speculators that then flip them as the price/sqm rises during construction. Recently a very large sub-penthouse sold in 2022 for 150k/sqm was "flipped" to a Chinese buyer for 300k/sqm. 

Many units that are sold off plan are also re-sold prior to completion due to circumstances changing for the original buyer including their financial inability to complete payments and transfer. This was a huge factor a decade or so ago when the Russians were forefront of the market. They would be on their 2 week holiday from the cold and pay a minimal deposit on 2,3,4,5 or more units and when they got back to reality and the cold and payed a few regular instalments that they realised they couldn't afford what they'd bought. The developer gets to keep the money they've already received and they get to re-sell at a higher price and the agent can sell again and get another commission.

In short, there is a huge turnover of units during the course of pre-construction and construction.  

Last week was the launch of another 50 level residential high rise on Pattaya 3rd road. Construction is not scheduled to even commence until Q1 2026 yet a group of European investors secured in excess of 400,000,000 Baht on the first day. These will be flipped without doubt during construction.

There's your answer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

Being in the industry these "sold out" units are sold. The developer may withhold a small percentage of the best units to maximise on their value later in the construction process.  A lot are bought in multiple unit lots by investors/speculators that then flip them as the price/sqm rises during construction. Recently a very large sub-penthouse sold in 2022 for 150k/sqm was "flipped" to a Chinese buyer for 300k/sqm. 

Many units that are sold off plan are also re-sold prior to completion due to circumstances changing for the original buyer including their financial inability to complete payments and transfer. This was a huge factor a decade or so ago when the Russians were forefront of the market. They would be on their 2 week holiday from the cold and pay a minimal deposit on 2,3,4,5 or more units and when they got back to reality and the cold and payed a few regular instalments that they realised they couldn't afford what they'd bought. The developer gets to keep the money they've already received and they get to re-sell at a higher price and the agent can sell again and get another commission.

In short, there is a huge turnover of units during the course of pre-construction and construction.  

Last week was the launch of another 50 level residential high rise on Pattaya 3rd road. Construction is not scheduled to even commence until Q1 2026 yet a group of European investors secured in excess of 400,000,000 Baht on the first day. These will be flipped without doubt during construction.

There's your answer.

By your own admission the "sold out" units are not sold out. The rooms are simply booked by paying a ridiculously low booking fee. A lot of buyers then  go to the bank and get a loan refusal. Some tourists or expats simply change their mind.... because they can and have very little to lose. Some do indeed make a profit selling those fake  "sold out" rooms to another idiot... usually a clueless expat. Yes, there are a lot of Asians buying these condos for cash.

15 minutes ago, Celsius said:

By your own admission the "sold out" units are not sold out. The rooms are simply booked by paying a ridiculously low booking fee. A lot of buyers then  go to the bank and get a loan refusal. Some tourists or expats simply change their mind.... because they can and have very little to lose. Some do indeed make a profit selling those fake  "sold out" rooms to another idiot... usually a clueless expat. Yes, there are a lot of Asians buying these condos for cash.

The big reveal fell a bit flat.

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

True, the units are not technically 'sold'--that happens at the Land Office when the chanote is turned over to the buyer from the developer.  But, everything Just Curious posted is absolutely correct.  The 'booked' units, while not sold, are also not available for other buyers to buy from the developer.   As Just Curious said, there's a big churn of these booked units during construction, due to some buyers not being able to obtain a loan, some buyers changing their minds, and other buyers booking the units expressly to be resold at, hopefully, a profit. 

My spouse and I picked up a bargain at The Base some years ago by buying one of these booked units shortly before The Base was finished.  The buyer who had booked the unit needed some quick cash and we paid just 60,000 baht to the buyer to take over the contract.

We knew the condo was a 35 sqm unit, with the bigger balcony, and it was on the top condo floor of the 'A' building.  This floor was extra special because not only was it the top floor for condos, but it was also single corridor, with units on only one side and windows on the other side of the hall looking out to Pattaya to the north.  This floor had only 2 one bedroom units and we didn't know if our unit was at the front of the bulding or the back when we took over the contract.  We lucked out and it was at the front, with a much better seaview looking southwest.  We rented it out for a year and then sold it at a nice profit.  Did somewhat the same thing with Centric Sea, doing nicely there, as well, for a 'clueless expat'.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:49 AM, kinyara said:

My ideal sea view would be low rise overlooking a fishing harbour or marina where you can actually observe some activity of interest while enjoying a drink on the balcony. Just looking out onto a vast empty expanse of ocean which is typically what's on offer here isn't something I'd personally go out of my way to seek or pay a premium for. I have a spacious balcony in a low rise condo overlooking tropical central gardens, works for me relaxing reading a book or having a coffee, very peaceful. 

That works nicely as long as the activity is far enough away so you can see the activity, but they can't see you. Any closer and it becomes a "rear window" scenario where you end up looking out and eyeballing someone.

The ideal situation is a nice condo with a downtown, marina, or interesting landscape view where you see out, but people don't see in, or if they do see in it's so anonymous it does not matter if they see in (a shape or silouette without eye contact). Very beautiful at night.

Edited by JimTripper

22 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

That works nicely as long as the activity is far enough away so you can see the activity, but they can't see you. Any closer and it becomes a "rear window" scenario where you end up looking out and eyeballing someone.

The ideal situation is a nice condo with a downtown, marina, or interesting landscape view where you see out, but people don't see in, or if they do see in it's so anonymous it does not matter if they see in (a shape or silouette without eye contact). Very beautiful at night.

I already have that right here…but on a high floor. Most of the time I have no clothes on at all. 
But I also know of cheap low rise places that fit your description. 

Edited by NextG

21 minutes ago, NextG said:

I already have that right here…but on a high floor. Most of the time I have no clothes on at all. 
But I also know of cheap low rise places that fit your description. 

That's you, I wondered who it was. 😎

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:32 PM, scubascuba3 said:

You've nailed it, weirdly some like looking out at nothingness 

I agree. I have never understood the premium that people put on a "sea view". Usually it it just a thin piece of blue way off in the distance with nothing to see. Maybe OK if you are a low floor right on the beach but not many of those around.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:31 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Where are the screen doors to your balcony? Keeps bugs out.

Edited by JimTripper

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I agree. I have never understood the premium that people put on a "sea view". Usually it it just a thin piece of blue way off in the distance with nothing to see. Maybe OK if you are a low floor right on the beach but not many of those around.

Nonsense--there are plenty of 'those around'.  Every seaview condo has low floors--so even if you are facing directly west and are beachfront you will see some beach from the lower floors.  Many of the condo projects with seaviews, such as the VTs, Lumpini Park Beach, Ananya, Lumpini Seaview, Copacabana, Northshore, The Edge, Jomtien Beach, Markland, Unixx, Wongamat Tower, The Base, etc., have the majority of the units looking south and north. 

No matter what floor you are on with these projects, you are not just looking at 'a thin piece of blue way off in the distance with nothing to see.'  Instead, you are usually seeing not just the ocean but the beach, shoreline and buildings.  There are 1800 units just in Lumpini Park Beach--one project--with many of the units having a seaview looking north or south.   Think of all the units at VT3A & 3B, VT5C & 5D, VT7, and VT8.  Thousands.

Other projects such as Northpoint, Centric Sea, Zire, the Rivieras, Baan Plai Haad, The Palm, Reflection, Cetus, Peak, Aeras, Saranchol, and many others also have lower floor units facing west and other units facing north and south.  Having owned 18 seaview condos in Pattaya and two in Rayong I can tell you that none had a 'thin piece of blue way off in the distance'.  A few examples.

northshore view northwest.jpg

thumbnail_agc balcony 1.jpg

IMGP0002.JPG

thumbnail_aau9.jpg

On 1/17/2024 at 10:36 AM, Celsius said:

I said the developer "withheld" the units from the market. I didn't say they were sold and the developer doesn't say they are sold either. They are simply not available and will be released at a later stage in development.

Please pay attention. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

I said the developer "withheld" the units from the market. I didn't say they were sold and the developer doesn't say they are sold either. They are simply not available and will be released at a later stage in development.

Please pay attention. 

I am paying attention.

So, NOT SOLD OUT then.

11 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Nice views but I need to be right on the beach, like VT7 end unit, to see chicks nipples....

Those you are thinking of don't come up for sale or rent that often. The turnover is very low.

Edited by JimTripper

I know, I've been checking since October '23.

Only 1st floor commercial and next to it is for sale now. Not bad but too expensive at 6 milj/both. Both unfinished. No view.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:03 PM, Celsius said:

I am paying attention.

So, NOT SOLD OUT then.

I think you're having trouble with the English language. The available units are sold out. You cannot sell something that isn't for sale. 

Now are you clear? 

26 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

I think you're having trouble with the English language. The available units are sold out. You cannot sell something that isn't for sale. 

Now are you clear? 

Clear. not sold out