Change in the tax law does target expats living in Thailand and extends reporting obligations

webfact

The first challenge from expats would be having to show 800,000 baht in the bank for the retirement extension and then being told it's subject to 20% tax.  Send a load of money here before 31 December and then sit back with the popcorn.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, khunpa said:

Even when they do get the details, it’s pretty certain that it will be interpreted differently by each individual and district. So total confusion.

I tend to doubt it. That is why the RD is hiring a lawyer for each province.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I presume that you would be firstly required to declare your income under the new laws. You would then not be able to show any tax paid in the UK.  They may possibly accept a letter from the UK Revenue stating that you are not required to pay tax on it. However, an article I read by a 'Tax Accountant' in Thailand suggested that the Double Taxation Agreement between the UK and Thailand did not include such matters and that tax would be payable on pension income that was over the Thai tax threshold.

That tax consultant is wrong in his reading it. Read your country's DTA for yourself as most all exclude govt pensions from taxation outside the issuing country. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Same here.

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Then to nothing to concern myself with as  I do not spend 180 days/year in any country.

regards,

Captain Monday 

Constant international travel

Can I ask which country you guys are from & whether not being Tax Resident elsewhere means by default you are Tax Resident in your home country. 

The reason I ask is that I plan on doing every 3rd year as a Non-Tax resident in Thailand during which I'll bring in enough money to support me for the next 3 years, BUT I don't want this to mean that I default to becoming tax resident in my home country (UK).

As an aside, the Tax Residency threshold in the UK operates on a sliding scale depending on how long you've been Non-UK Tax Resident & how many "Economic Ties" you have there. I can spend up to 89 days in the UK as I have 2 "Economic Ties" there, but if I had the full (4) "Economic Ties" it would be 45 days as I've been Non-UK Tax Resident for > 3 years & 16 days if I hadn't.

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

I do it every year at Tax Revenue district 1 Chiang Mai.

As you're Non-Tax Resident you obviously don't need to do a return so do you do one to reclaim the Withheld tax on Income from your Bank Account?

I didn't even know Non-Tax Residents could file a return 🙂 

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

As you're Non-Tax Resident you obviously don't need to do a return so do you do one to reclaim the Withheld tax on Income from your Bank Account?

You can. I got a tax ID years ago. 
I used to keep a large chunk here when you could get a nifty interest rate in Fixed accounts. The  interest tax pulled by Bangkok Bangkok refundable I guess since total income was below the threshold each year. Painless process . 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I am not non-resident for tax purpose in Thailand but I am non-resident for tax in the UK. I live in Thailand year round, did I say something that made you think otherwise?

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

So it's not enough you bring your money here and spend it, now the government wants to add an tax which in affect will make every single thing in the country X% more expensive depending on your tax obligation.

The max amount was 35% right? That means if you earned US income and were taxed at 20% you would be responsible for another 15%, thus making Thailand 15% more expensive across the board? 

If this really goes through and the number is significant will Thailand even be affordable anymore? 

I don't think it works that way. If you pay tax in the US you don't pay tax in Thailand

• Confused 3

I'm in Colombia getting some dental work done. Same tax laws here that are going into effect in Thailand. I like it here because I am not hassled as far as immigration goes. But, I have heard some horror stories here about the taxes. They are supposedly going to start cracking down here.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

They will enforce it. In fact, the Revenue Department is in the process of hiring 70 Lawyers.. One in each province to assure tax collection.

Just out of interest, where did you find this information?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Lastly, there are several generous deductions available to reduce taxable income, a personal allowance of 60k baht is available to everyone plus for over age 65 years, an extra 190k deduction exists. Further deductions exist for wife, children, life insurance, medical insurance and so on. After all that, the first 150k of income is zero rated for everyone. These things mean that the average expat pensioner must earn over 400k baht, before they begin to pay tax at 5%.

You're probably talking about money earned in Thailand right?

What happens if you earn 200,000k/month in your home country and reside in Thailand 7 months out of the year (elite visa or marriage etc...). You now may have tax liability on money which was already taxed, but does it matter how much money you actually bring in to Thailand? That would be unacceptable obviously if they wanted some % of your 200k/baht even if you brought in 30k/month to the country.

3 hours ago, john11k said:

All the foreigners/ expats living in Thailand are spending all there money in Thailand ,   Chances are they will now leave and spend it else where. 
I’ll never get over the thinking behind these sort of brainless laws,  

I earn it here and spend it here..... Why would I leave ?

• Confused 1