Change in the tax law does target expats living in Thailand and extends reporting obligations

webfact

Just now, NorthernRyland said:

You're probably talking about money earned in Thailand right?

What happens if you earn 200,000k/month in your home country and reside in Thailand 7 months out of the year (elite visa or marriage etc...). You now may have tax liability on money which was already taxed, but does it matter how much money you actually bring in to Thailand? That would be unacceptable obviously if they wanted some % of your 200k/baht even if you brought in 30k/month to the country.

No, I'm talking about assessable income in Thailand, which includes, money earned in Thailand and qualifying income imported from overseas.

It doesn't matter how much you earn overseas, what matters is the amount that is imported into Thailand. Overseas earnings are not taxable in Thailand, as long as they are not imported.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Lastly, there are several generous deductions available to reduce taxable income, a personal allowance of 60k baht is available to everyone plus for over age 65 years, an extra 190k deduction exists. Further deductions exist for wife, children, life insurance, medical insurance and so on. After all that, the first 150k of income is zero rated for everyone. These things mean that the average expat pensioner must earn over 400k baht, before they begin to pay tax at 5%.

Personal income tax on money earnt in Thailand ?

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

my suitcase is already packed!.

I can leave at a moments notice. 

Leave, but to where? 

Didn't we have some big global event around 3 years ago when the governments of the world, despite all of the language and cultural barriers, reached the same conclusions and took the exact same measures in almost perfect lockstep?  Looks like we're getting another taste of it. 

Colombia and Thailand are very disparate cultures on opposite sides of the world, yet are adopting the same tax measures as Western nations.  Let me know if you find a bolt hole to escape this globalist madness and the first drinking binge is on me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

It doesn't matter how much you earn overseas, what matters is the amount that is imported into Thailand. Overseas earnings are not taxable in Thailand, as long as they are not imported.

I imagine the nominal tax rate is derived from total income and then applied to the imported amount, so again if you high a high enough income you could be liable for some % and that would be taxed on all imported money, like a premium on cost of living.

Otherwise the figure you stated of 150,000 is less than most people import anyways, so who cares?

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I imagine the nominal tax rate is derived from total income and then applied to the imported amount, so again if you high a high enough income you could be liable for some % and that would be taxed on all imported money, like a premium on cost of living.

Otherwise the figure you stated of 150,000 is less than most people import anyways, so who cares?

I wrote, 400k, not 150k.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Right, ok.

People being taxed should also qualify for SS then !!

Only if you have a job in Thailand. Eligibility for Thai SSc is based on employment in Thailand, not earnings. Thai person who earns income by playing the stock market for example and pays tax, isn't eligible to join SSc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I wrote, 400k, not 150k.

ok so the first 150k/month is tax free? That seems too high to capture most people in Thailand so if that ends up happening I would expect it to get dragged down townwards the 60k/month level.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Leave, but to where? 

Didn't we have some big global event around 3 years ago when the governments of the world, despite all of the language and cultural barriers, reached the same conclusions and took the exact same measures in almost perfect lockstep?  Looks like we're getting another taste of it. 

Colombia and Thailand are very disparate cultures on opposite sides of the world, yet are adopting the same tax measures as Western nations.  Let me know if you find a bolt hole to escape this globalist madness and the first drinking binge is on me. 

The 'bolt hole' as you put it is to not spend any longer than 180 days in any country.

90 days would be even better, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Right, ok.

People being taxed should also qualify for SS then !!

Nope. SS is a separate contribution. Taxes are to pay for govt services and infrastructure which long term residents use.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I'm very confident that nobody is going to get taxed on imported money to buy a house, the market would collapse.

I guess the work around re property is that money will be remitted to a lawyer or registered estate agent, so not in your name.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Can samui said:

Ok, here are my concerns.

I will say, it will be nearly impossible for a foreigner to file his own taxes so there goes 20,000 to pay an accountant to file for you.

Embassies no longer issue statements of income for visa extension purposes so cannot see them issuing proof of taxation.

Who will be responsible for confirming the paperwork at immigration for visa renewal. Dont think there are many tax lawyers at the local office.

This is going to be…interesting. 

1) Possibly, but I suspect if your application is done through an agent it will sail through.

2) Embassies are no longer in that game for sure. 

3) Some paperwork may have to be verified, maybe notary or 'certified copy'. 

Jobs and income for yet more locals.

I still suggest people are getting ahead of themselves..... at worst a TIN obtained and a tax return filed for a long extension..... the guy in the tax office did mine for me previously, I couldn't read it. I gave them a big tin of biscuits. 

• Like 1

When all is said and done, the average over 65 year old pensioner will be entitled to over 400k in tax free money per YEAR. Please tell me you got that!

That is just above where my State pension is 'frozen'.... great, thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, sandyf said:

Quite, a real issue may arise if we see the introduction of TM130 - Notification of tax return submission.

I agree, that's got to be a possibility since many other countries require similar from resident aliens who reside in their countries, before they are allowed to depart.