Change in the tax law does target expats living in Thailand and extends reporting obligations

webfact

7 minutes ago, Sato said:

no arguments and then has to be personally insulted. What pathetic behavior.

You sound like an old spinster berating someone, or a young Karen going off about a random issue. 

Mate - go and do some research on the matter - it is very factual.

I even gave you a suggested google search - which I do again.

You dont have to come back and admit you were wrong or misinformed - but just go research it all.

"Why is US the only country that taxes its non-resident citizens?" 

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:
21 hours ago, stat said:

well.

AND anyone lodging a DTA exemption will probably have to do it in Thai and though a Thai certified accountant/lawyer. 

On the other thread, Someone very helpfully provided a link to the forms for submitting a tax return, Forms supplied in both English and Thai.

That person also ( and I read it elsewhere ) that the RD is currently ammending the forms to include a Section where you declare income covered by a DTA.

Therefore, should the need arise ( Awaiting clarification )  it will not be difficult to fill in the English version and have a Thai transcribe to the Thai version and deposit both versions with the RD.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samtam said:

Itsy bitsy spider...

Thanks @Dogmatix. I hope this is the first nail in this coffin of stupidity. If however, Thailand tries to tax all worldwide income, like the USA, that would be an even more silly idea than the one currently being spouted, and unlike the IRS, I think their ability to enforce this is wildly optimistic. The article you reference also seems to emphasise the main target as (wealthy) Thais who invest overseas, and I suspect like previous attempts to alienate this segment of the electorate will end in tears.

Perhaps somebody could explain how US Tax works for non-US Citizens living/Tax Resident in the US i.e. does the US Tax them on all of their world wide income or only Income earned in/remitted to the US? 

I can see Thailand introducing a US Style Worldwide Income Tax on Thai Citizens (though they lack the "Clout" of the US when it comes to getting other countries/banks to report information to them) but I can't see them introducing this for Non-Thai Citizens even if they are Tax Resident.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The article quotes from varying sources and is suggestive of a work still in progress but also that they have come around to the view that taxing income that arose prior to 1 Jan 2024 may be more trouble than it is worth.   Two things spring to mind. 

1. If they really intend to make 1 Jan 2024 a start date for something, they will need a Royal Decree.  Order P. 161/2566 will need to be rescinded and the lawyers will have pointed out to them it wasn't legally binding on taxpayers anyway.  A Royal Decree will need cabinet approval and there may be some differences of opinion in the coalition parties which could change things. Talking about 1 Jan 2024 with any luck will just turn out to be a face saver for the DG of the RD, who seems to have acted like a bit of a nincompoop anyway (albeit no doubt with a nod from finance minister Srettha who was about to hop on the plane to NY at the time) as it would probably be tough to get out a Royal Decree by then and Thailand very rarely makes any law retroactive. 

2. Amending the Revenue Code in parliament to introduce global taxation would actually be a more logical step than trying to tax foreign source income on a remittance basis.  My guess is that's where we are ultimately headed, either during the term of this government or an MFP government, if they manage to gain power. But it would be a major undertaking and would easily take two years to draft and go through all 3 readings in parliament.  They might want to reform other aspects of the law as well. . There are many legit arguments against global taxation or a remittance, as raised by Prof Kittipong, former chairman of Baker McKenzie. In addition there are many corrupt politicians and bureaucrats with wealth offshore who might oppose global taxation or remittance tax.  

From the macro perspective Thailand has fallen into the middle income trap and has no way to crawl out to become a high income country like Singapore because there is far too much  incompetence and corruption in government. Without those two handmaidens Thailand could strive to be a regional finance centre with a liberal tax regime like Singapore, as suggested by Prof Kittipong.  But that would require enlightened governance and a commitment to improving public education and doing whatever it takes to make Thailand competitive in this post sweated labour phase and thus fulfill it long term sustainable growth potential which is far higher than the 2-3% GDP growth which is now the best it can do. With faster growth the tax take would increase without raising taxes.  As it is, Thais have started to expect a developed country welfare state without first becoming a developed economy. That means raising taxes across the board, including VAT.

IMO Thailand has zero chance of successfully taxing its Tax Residents and Citizens who are making money overseas. Only the USA has been able to get away with that for its Citizens - Thailand has no chance.  There are so many reasons why - just to start all the DTAs they have in place preclude that being accepted.

""Why is US the only country that taxes its non-resident citizens?"" has absolutley nothing to do with the fact that US citizen are taxable in the country they are resident.

Logical thinking doesn't seem to be one of your strengths, on the other hand, insulting others does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

On the other thread, Someone very helpfully provided a link to the forms for submitting a tax return, Forms supplied in both English and Thai.

That person also ( and I read it elsewhere ) that the RD is currently ammending the forms to include a Section where you declare income covered by a DTA.

Therefore, should the need arise ( Awaiting clarification )  it will not be difficult to fill in the English version and have a Thai transcribe to the Thai version and deposit both versions with the RD.

Thanks - that will be interesting to see when it is finalised and changed.

I am still concerned over what happens when they 'reject' an assessment and send me a tax bill.

But actually I am more concerned about having to complete a tax return at all - hopefully Expats will be exempted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sato said:

""Why is US the only country that taxes its non-resident citizens?"" has absolutley nothing to do with the fact that US citizen are taxable in the country they are resident.

Logical thinking doesn't seem to be one of your strengths, on the other hand, insulting others does.

I will say in response that obtusive arguments and refusing to do any research on an issue - that is my read of yourself.

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

But actually I am more concerned about having to complete a tax return at all

Why does filing a tax return concern you, if you are a tax Resident in Thailand ?

I've never filed one, but have no issues filing one if it becomes necessary. It's not as if I am busting a gut a work and will struggle to find the time.

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I think you guys are coming at it from a different point of view. 

To use the UK as an example, an American living in the UK is taxable in/by the UK if they work, get interest from a bank account, make a Capital Gain etc... there so to say that only US can Tax an American's worldwide income is not true.  

Now from the flipside, any income you earn in the UK that's been taxed can be offset against the tax that the US applies to your worldwide income (e.g. if you were working abroad I believe up to $120,000 salary income is not taxable in the US) with the result that you'll probably come off net neutral, only time I could see you being worse off is if the tax rates in the foreign country were significantly higher than the equivalent in the US. 

BTW, US isn't the only country that taxes it's citizens worldwide, Eritrea does it as well https://www.taxesforexpats.com/expat-tax-advice/Citizenship-Based-Taxation-International-Comparison.html

Thanks Mike - much appreciated.  Clearly he is thinking about someone working and getting a salary paid and taxed, when I am talking about someone that lives there 180+ days and is retired or married - like most Expats in Thailand that this change affects. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, retiree said:

I agree.  This is far, far from a done deal.  Nor is global taxation (particularly for non-citizen tax residents) something that can be effected with the stroke of a pen.  The US, UK, etc. tax codes (each thousands of pages) and guidance (each tens of thousands of pages) took a long, long time to get that way as necessary details were filled in over the years. 

Note that if this report is accurate, remittance in 2024 will only be taxable for 2024 income.  2023 and prior assessable income will be protected under the safe harbor rule, and the old interpretation of the code.  The earliest remittance that might be affected under the Sept 15 rule won't occur until Jan. 1, 2025, for income earned in 2024. 

On the face of it this suggests that the RD would have time to defend a legal challenge.  Hopefully this is something a disinterested Thai legal authority, or an expert in procedural law rather than tax law, will comment on.  

I've always believed this was the case. I would hope that those people who filed fraudulent tax returns in the past that reclaimed tax paid on bank interest but ignored other income and the rest of the return, will be safe.

24 minutes ago, retiree said:

Note that if this report is accurate, remittance in 2024 will only be taxable for 2024 income.  2023 and prior assessable income will be protected under the safe harbor rule, and the old interpretation of the code.  The earliest remittance that might be affected under the Sept 15 rule won't occur until Jan. 1, 2025, for income earned in 2024. 

Yep, it would make the whole thing a lot more acceptable. I can understand to move to tax foreign income but I would have been gutted if they had changed their rules/practices retroactively.

But it seems that my (32) years of not paying income tax (legally) are coming  to an end.

But high season tourists will suffer this year, THB will be going through the roof.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, retiree said:

Must be fake noos, some moonhowler has already been shouting about auditing covering the past 10 years :biggrin::biggrin:

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

According to the Revenue Department, it will seek opinions from the stakeholders affected by the new rule and issue guidelines to provide more clarity. The plan includes an amendment of the personal income tax return form to facilitate the foreign tax credit claim.

https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Insights/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Thailand-Tax-Foreign-Income-Taxable-from-2024

e-Form: : Personal Income Tax

https://www.rd.go.th/english/62892.html

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Perhaps somebody could explain how US Tax works for non-US Citizens living/Tax Resident in the US i.e. does the US Tax them on all of their world wide income or only Income earned in/remitted to the US? 

I can see Thailand introducing a US Style Worldwide Income Tax on Thai Citizens (though they lack the "Clout" of the US when it comes to getting other countries/banks to report information to them) but I can't see them introducing this for Non-Thai Citizens even if they are Tax Resident.

Yes, the US does tax any tax resident on their world wide income - citizens, green card holders (permanent residents) and holders of other types of visas.  Green card holders outside of the US are also taxed on world wide income.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

According to the Revenue Department, it will seek opinions from the stakeholders affected by the new rule and issue guidelines to provide more clarity. The plan includes an amendment of the personal income tax return form to facilitate the foreign tax credit claim.

https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Insights/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Thailand-Tax-Foreign-Income-Taxable-from-2024

e-Form: : Personal Income Tax

https://www.rd.go.th/english/62892.html

Yes

It is amazing the different sources of information that are available, yet another day dawns and another round of the same absolute crap begins.

Quite bizarre, how the same Doomers & Gloomers manage to miss all the information posted.

See the headline and go into total meltdown, inventing scenarios that will make them flee Thailand :biggrin::biggrin:

Not only is it quite bizarre, it is hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Misty said:

Yes, the US does tax any tax resident on their world wide income - citizens, green card holders (permanent residents) and holders of other types of visas.  Green card holders outside of the US are also taxed on world wide income.

To align that to Thailand, that would that be like Thailand taxing all Citizens & Permanent Resident Holders on their World wide income.

And if I've understood you correctly, somebody who went to work in the US for 1 year on a H1B Visa would be taxed on their world wide income during that year, but presumably once  they left the Job/US & were no longer Tax Resident, the US wouldn't tax any income not arising in the US.

20 hours ago, stat said:

They do not need to change the DTA. Example: beforehand no tax on capital gains in Thailand, now you have to pay capital gains tax on remittances. There is no DTA involved if you only live in Thailand in cap gains case.

Next example German pension: Beforehand TH has taxation right but did not tax it; after 01 Jan 24 you pay income tax on German pension if remitted to Thailand. And again in other cases, if you want to use a dta you must provide tons of translated documents and be willing to go to court. If the disputed tax is 50K USD and above maybe worth it, everything under 50K not worth the time and effort.

PS: May I ask you in which capacity you provide financial advise in order to make the above claim about DTAs in general? There are people on this board including me who work in banking and provide tax counsel in international tax matters FYI.

Nothing else than experience of following one DTA the last 15 years which stipulate that I shall pay tax on what's actually transferred to Thailand and what not is transferred are taxed in home country where I have to prov with English language Thai tax payment certificate and Thai certificate of residence annually. That DTA will not be changed 1. January 2024 so I will still pay tax on anything transferred to Thailand, either its pension income or savings. My bank home has my TIN and so have naturally home country's tax department. I prov my transfer to Thailand with an annually statement from my bank here and because the info they already have at my home country's tax department it's a "see through" for them if I have transferred anything to a second Thai Bank. I understand that many countries have different DTA`s so I absolutely understand many people's confusion and frustration and I think but can absolutely be wrong that many DTA`s need renegotiations or most likely an additional tax clause for they based in Thailand and that can be negotiated between the relevant country and Thailand quite quickly.

Felt

42 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

To align that to Thailand, that would that be like Thailand taxing all Citizens & Permanent Resident Holders on their World wide income.

And if I've understood you correctly, somebody who went to work in the US for 1 year on a H1B Visa would be taxed on their world wide income during that year, but presumably once  they left the Job/US & were no longer Tax Resident, the US wouldn't tax any income not arising in the US.

The rules on who is a US tax resident are a bit complicated.  But I think that it would be correct to say once someone is no longer a tax resident, the US wouldn't tax income not arising in the US.  It may tax some types of investment income in the US as well as distributions from deferred income accounts such as traditional 401(k)s, IRAs, and Social Security. 

Here's a link to definitions for US tax residency: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/residency-starting-and-ending-dates

The Thai definition is so much simpler.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rabas said:

Been here 37 years, not too many surprises left.  I understand the new clause because I've used its prior version in the past while consulting with the RD.  I know what it says. This will have some impact on some, not all foreign tax residents and I encourage everyone to better understand the tax laws. I will not opine as that's all this thread has.

I will observe that all relevant discussion and news from the RD is on their Thai language site, not a mention on the English site. 

So pls let us know what part and what supporting documents of an DTA exemption you claimed and why you needed it? Beforehand it was difficult to pay income tax at all, even if you wanted to (as long as you were not working in TH.)

11 minutes ago, stat said:

So pls let us know what part and what supporting documents of an DTA exemption you claimed and why you needed it? Beforehand it was difficult to pay income tax at all, even if you wanted to (as long as you were not working in TH.)

I can't imagine why you think that. Every year I file my tax return here and I usually end up paying a small amount of tax, I file the return, pay the tax and get a receipt, it's not difficult.

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You sound like an old spinster berating someone, or a young Karen going off about a random issue. 

Mate - go and do some research on the matter - it is very factual.

I even gave you a suggested google search - which I do again.

You dont have to come back and admit you were wrong or misinformed - but just go research it all.

"Why is US the only country that taxes its non-resident citizens?" 

BTW US citizen can claim exemption for their US tax on the part they already paid in the other country. TroubleandGrumpy is correct here.

There is however Erithrea that taxes on nationality even if you live somewere else. Germany has also some very special clauses that force you to pay up either when you leave Germany or 5 to 10 years after you have left Germany.

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/expat-tax-advice/Citizenship-Based-Taxation-International-Comparison.html

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

Nothing else than experience of following one DTA the last 15 years which stipulate that I shall pay tax on what's actually transferred to Thailand and what not is transferred are taxed in home country where I have to prov with English language Thai tax payment certificate and Thai certificate of residence annually. That DTA will not be changed 1. January 2024 so I will still pay tax on anything transferred to Thailand, either its pension income or savings. My bank home has my TIN and so have naturally home country's tax department. I prov my transfer to Thailand with an annually statement from my bank here and because the info they already have at my home country's tax department it's a "see through" for them if I have transferred anything to a second Thai Bank. I understand that many countries have different DTA`s so I absolutely understand many people's confusion and frustration and I think but can absolutely be wrong that many DTA`s need renegotiations or most likely an additional tax clause for they based in Thailand and that can be negotiated between the relevant country and Thailand quite quickly.

Felt

You failed to read my two examples. Do you understand that there is no need to change any DTA in the given examples in order to have a substantial negative impact on your tax bill?