Teens Warned about Safe Sex as HIV Infections Rise

snoop1130

1699242999_693349-tnamcot-768x402.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 6 (TNA) – The Health Department is urging teenagers to be aware of safe sex practices and the prevention of both pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) as the prevalence of HIV infection among teenagers increases.

Dr. Achara Nitiapinyasakul, the acting director-general of the Health Department, revealed that the situation of HIV and STI infections is on the rise among the youth. According to data from the Disease Control Department, it is estimated that in the year 2022, approximately 9,230 new HIV infections occurred, with nearly half of them falling within the age group of 15-24 years.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2023-11-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Health Department is urging teenagers to be aware of safe sex practices and the prevention of both pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) as the prevalence of HIV infection among teenagers increases.

So teach them properly in school at the appropriate age.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Always a lack of info, like % of those catching HIV male Vs female, straight Vs gay etc, useful info

Yeah, it's probably something like, 60% (plus) gay male, 20% straight female, and 10% straight male, and then the last few percent non-sexual transmission.

It is interesting though that 50% of transmissions are in teens and young adults, though I am pretty sure this has always been the case and is not anything new.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thesetat said:

Wife showed me an facebook message from a student talking about some young University student who brags she has HIV and that she goes to clubs and bars seeking men for one night stands. Knowingly passing her HIV to those men and never telling the men she is infected. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/3S47sykLu9ajE9eH/?mibextid=Le6z7H

The odd thing is the police do not seem to care about this... 

In the USA she would be charged for a felony. It makes me wonder why there are no laws in Thailand about HIV infected people doing such things.  In Matayom Schools I have seen students having sex in bathrooms and classroom and behind the buildings in Thailand. Doubtful condoms were ever used. 

It is up to the parents to teach morals and values so this does not happen. But with Thai culture it is taboo to discuss these things at home or teach them in the classroom so kids learn how to be safe if they choose to have sex. 

And how many of the comments under that video think it's funny and a joke.

Most of them.

Just goes to show the attitude is miles away from where it should be.

Conversely I remember a story in Australia where an African refugee knowingly have it to a number of girls.

He went to court and got sent to jail and the story was in the local paper.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

12. My first girlfriend was 13 at 14. 

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

And how many of the comments under that video think it's funny and a joke.

Most of them.

Just goes to show the attitude is miles away from where it should be.

Conversely I remember a story in Australia where an African refugee knowingly have it to a number of girls.

He went to court and got sent to jail and the story was in the local paper.

Its illegal in first-world countries to knowingly infect others. 

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, it's probably something like, 60% (plus) gay male, 20% straight female, and 10% straight male, and then the last few percent non-sexual transmission.

It is interesting though that 50% of transmissions are in teens and young adults, though I am pretty sure this has always been the case and is not anything new.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

To be fair, the boys got zero sex education when I was at school.

Oddly, the girls got it, including condom of banana practice. 

We just got a free period with our strange French teacher who allowed us to ask him random questions about sex.

14 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Explain what? I think he is saying sex education is required as youngsters get into relationships 

12. My first girlfriend was 13 at 14.

You obviously do not think what he is talking about.

Edited by KannikaP

4 hours ago, thesetat said:

Wife showed me an facebook message from a student talking about some young University student who brags she has HIV and that she goes to clubs and bars seeking men for one night stands. Knowingly passing her HIV to those men and never telling the men she is infected. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/3S47sykLu9ajE9eH/?mibextid=Le6z7H

The odd thing is the police do not seem to care about this... 

In the USA she would be charged for a felony. It makes me wonder why there are no laws in Thailand about HIV infected people doing such things.  In Matayom Schools I have seen students having sex in bathrooms and classroom and behind the buildings in Thailand. Doubtful condoms were ever used. 

It is up to the parents to teach morals and values so this does not happen. But with Thai culture it is taboo to discuss these things at home or teach them in the classroom so kids learn how to be safe if they choose to have sex. 

There are quite a few situations in Thailand that us farangs do not understand, the authorities seem to have an irresponble attitude to things like this face book post which we will never understand. If its not financially or personally beneficial its often gets put in the "why should we bother" basket. Its rather sad but thats life here in the LOS !!!