Sinkhole Swallows SUV in Bangkok

webfact

1-แบบปกใส่คำพูด-New-67-768x433.jpg

In the bustling district of Ratchathewi, Bangkok, an alarming sinkhole incident occurred involving a bronze-gold Toyota Fortuner, which plunged into a collapsed road near the intersection of Sri Ayudhya and Ratchaprarop roads. The driver, Jetanin Amasu, a 46-year-old private company chauffeur, was shaken but unharmed.

On November 6, Deputy Inspector Chanchai Kammahom of the Din Daeng Police was alerted to the incident. Upon arrival with the fire brigade and rescue team from Phayathai, they discovered the SUV’s front wheels lodged in a trench approximately 1.5 meters wide, 6 meters long, and 8 meters deep, reported Daily News.

1699274963213-1024x577.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The vehicle was successfully lifted from the pit by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Factory Engineering Department using a crane.

Investigations revealed that Jetanin was following a ten-wheeled truck when the concrete slab covering a storm drain collapsed under the weight of his vehicle, sending it into the hole. It's suspected that the ten-wheeler's impact weakened the already fragile concrete, leading to the collapse.

1699278062982-1024x577.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The accident site was part of a nearly half-year-old stormwater diversion project leading to the Makasan pond. Construction had been paused for two days, resuming the morning after the incident.

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt, along with his deputy and other officials, personally inspected the scene and reported the event live on Facebook, ensuring a swift response to the infrastructure failure.

Top picture: Daily News

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-11-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Could contain:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

All my engineer friends are extremely civil and not at all stupid.

If you are however, talking about Civil Engineers, we don't speak with them :whistling:

I apologise for my lack of use of capitols and very poor grammer innit?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, still kicking said:

Ach so Ich habe es nicht verstanden

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Flippin ek... the Grammar 'allied-forces' are at it again !!... :neus:

Nein ich bin eine Holzfàller

10 hours ago, RobU said:

Right first time. Been here a year and I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of civil engineers in and around Bangkok 

The amazement will fade - give it time. When you see someone get run over on Sukhumvit, nobody goes to help them and you're not amazed - you'll be an 'old timer'

Got used to a 900mm square phone box on a 1m pavement yet?

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Haha 1

Its unlikely to be any fault of the Civil Engineers.

As pointed out above, there appears to be a distinct lack of rebar and I'd love to check the strength of that concrete mix against the specified strength for the anticipated weights on that road. I seem to remember some 'mistake' being made regarding the concrete specified for the runway at Suvarnabhumi and the concrete that was actually laid. One being significantly cheaper than the other - not that I'm making any suggestions you understand.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thanks 1