Dead body of American man found in Chao Phraya River near Bangkok

webfact

4 hours ago, topt said:

So some company's rules stop the police from recovering a dead body in situ..........:crazy: 

That's the first thing I thought of too. So, now the homicide squad (such as they are) has to deal with a body that has been moved. I realize a body in a river has moved from where it went in but I would think the police should be involved from where the body was first found.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So they've named him in the media before informing his family. Umm.

Why do you assume that? They found the US passport, which includes emergency contact information. 

Officers would also report the death to the embassy so they can contact the family and relatives of the deceased.

Would. Can. Not past tense. Seems clear enough to me. Unless it's another poorly written article.

And you are assuming, without proof, that the deceased filled in the emergency contact info. I myself am assuming a person does that manually, as I do with my UK passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, topt said:

So some company's rules stop the police from recovering a dead body in situ..........:crazy: 

The Poh Teck Tung Foundation is a private foundation, not the police. Maybe "the conditions" at the dock made it impossible.

19 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

Set up a crime scene in the middle of the Chao Praya river?? You're joking, yes? Surely the first thing any police force would do is retrieve the body and take it to a morgue for a post mortem. 

Where did the Body go in????????? Off the bank? Off a Boat, or fall out of a plane???? If the can't get to the area. how can they rule out he was murdered and thrown into the river from there. 

• Confused 1

On 11/6/2023 at 7:26 PM, webfact said:

Police and rescuers from the Poh Teck Tung Foundation arrived at the scene and discovered that the dead man was a foreigner. The man was wearing a black T-shirt, long black trousers and trainers.

Due to the company’s rules and conditions at the dock, rescuers were unable to recover the body there. They had to drag the body to the Bang Kajao Nork temple dock and retrieve it.

I know most of you guys can read, but some of y'all need to work on comprehension.

Everything seems to have been done correctly.  The discoverer contacted police and rescue.  It was they who decided to move the body to where it was easier to retrieve from the waters.  I don't know how long the body has been in the water, but if it was bloated, retrieval in one piece has to be carefully managed.

-Or did you complainers worry that all the fingerprints, footprints, blood splatters, and DNA samples would be disturbed a the body in the river was moved?

On 11/7/2023 at 9:25 PM, Iron Tongue said:

I know most of you guys can read, but some of y'all need to work on comprehension.

Everything seems to have been done correctly.  The discoverer contacted police and rescue.  It was they who decided to move the body to where it was easier to retrieve from the waters.  I don't know how long the body has been in the water, but if it was bloated, retrieval in one piece has to be carefully managed.

-Or did you complainers worry that all the fingerprints, footprints, blood splatters, and DNA samples would be disturbed a the body in the river was moved?

Moved 100 yards to a better retrieval spot sounds ok.   But where does "company policy prevents" ever come into a murder crime scene?  Except Thailand.   I would think yiu set up a crime scene at the initial sighting location company rules, productivity be dammed.  That river does have current and is obviously thought if as a trash dump. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another thread in which we debate the 'crime scene' actions of the police etc...  

.. but there will be no reported follow up of the outcome of any investigation as to what actually happened etc.

As with pretty much ALL news stories in Thailand that we see re-printed in this site - the most interesting facet of the story, i.e. the follow-up and what actually happened (or may have happened) up will never be reported on...

We can go back through nearly every headling story over the past years which was heavily debated with a huge degree of 'whatifery' and we never see factual reporting of any aftermath, consequences or conclusions (unless its a Thai actor / actress of course !).

Remember the guy who killed an intruder on his front porch - no follow up story.

French guys in Samui - no follow up story... etc etc etc...

Crazy guy who killed the Brit in Kanchanaburi...   what happened to him ?