The Met Police WON'T ban Poppy Day pro-Palestine rally

CharlieH

7 minutes ago, NextG said:

PLO is not HAMAS and yes, they were there to represent Palestinians. Why should they be benign?

The point is chanting it is supporting Palestinians. Do you think everyone believes that ‘Israel’ is the victim?

You are wasting your time and mine. 

I did not say that the PLO was Hamas.

I pointed out that they were not benign to Israel and Israelis, hence their usage of the slogan wasn't as well.

Israel exists between the river and the sea. If someone uses the slogan, he basically denounces Israel's existence.

Hence, chanting 'river-to-the-sea' is more than 'supporting Palestinians', as it implies the destruction, erasure or what have you of Israel.

I didn't claim Israel was a 'victim', that's something you just injected to the conversation.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Morch said:

I did not suggest a wide-brush claim as you claim.

As for the 'river-to-the-sea' - try harder. Some version of it was indeed used (maybe until the 80's or so) by some Israeli right-wingers, it's not something one often hears nowadays, though. As for it being used by the PLO - how does that contradict by comment? The PLO's original stance was not benign to Israel or Israelis either. How the slogan was used in the past does not have a whole lot of bearing on how it is used today.

It was used by Likud…. Yes, the Likud now headed by Benjamin Netanyahu. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Morch said:

I did not say that the PLO was Hamas.

I pointed out that they were not benign to Israel and Israelis, hence their usage of the slogan wasn't as well.

Israel exists between the river and the sea. If someone uses the slogan, he basically denounces Israel's existence.

Hence, chanting 'river-to-the-sea' is more than 'supporting Palestinians', as it implies the destruction, erasure or what have you of Israel.

I didn't claim Israel was a 'victim', that's something you just injected to the conversation.

….and I told you that the phrase was also used by Likud. The party now headed by Benjamin Netanyahu. 

18 minutes ago, NextG said:

It was used by Likud…. Yes, the Likud now headed by Benjamin Netanyahu. 

Indeed. It was even part of their old party anthem. But be that as it may, it's pretty much out of use for years now.

And regardless, this wasn't a protest by Likud members, so not seeing the point.

I'll make it clear (you can check my posting history) that I'm not a fan of Netanyahu, his party or their policies.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Because they are the people attending these marches. 

I'm pretty sure that individuals attended these marches for any number of reasons: 1) Some support a peaceful, political solution to the 'Palestinian problem' 2) Some support Hamas and 3) some are pacifists who disown violence in any form. There are, no doubt, other categories.

It's quite conceivable that those in groups 1) and 3) would be equally comfortable taking part in a march against Hamas.

In any event, your answer still doesn't address the question why a Muslim - rather than any other individual - should be expected to organise such a march.

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Not true - there were problems from both sides - like your history your should broaden the scope of your reading.

And asking for one protest-free weekend is not asking much IMO!

Tell us about the ‘problems from both sides’. Will be interesting to read your version of when you think the problems began 😊

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You could demonstrate the truth of that with evidence of you yourself having done so.

It is it you outraged at your own failings?

So you think that because I don't go out on a one-man march against Islamist terror groups, then there is no need for protests against Islamist terror groups? Great logic there Chomper...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RayC said:

I'm pretty sure that individuals attended these marches for any number of reasons: 1) Some support a peaceful, political solution to the 'Palestinian problem' 2) Some support Hamas and 3) some are pacifists who disown violence in any form. There are, no doubt, other categories.

It's quite conceivable that those in groups 1) and 3) would be equally comfortable taking part in a march against Hamas.

In any event, your answer still doesn't address the question why a Muslim - rather than any other individual - should be expected to organise such a march.

If I were a deeply religious person, and terror groups were carrying out endless barbaric attacks in the name of my religion, I'd want to be out on the streets telling the world "not in my name" etc. 

Maybe Hamas and the like wouldn't feel so emboldened to carry out their deliberate attacks on innocent people if they could see Muslims around the world denouncing them with real passion and anger like we see on the pro-Palestine marches. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 2

26 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Already posted.

You will find them if you look.

Took a look and cannot find anything that you posted with regard to pre-1948. Then we can have a conversation about the terror groups who ended up governing the place in question. Do you think they no longer exist? 
We can talk about how the Palestinians and the Jews lived together peacefully, as Arabs and Jews did before and do now; Morocco, as an example. 
But of course, something happened to change all that snd it wasn’t the Palestinians who changed it. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

If I were a deeply religious person, and terror groups were carrying out endless barbaric attacks in the name of my religion, I'd want to be out on the streets telling the world "not in my name" etc. 

Maybe Hamas and the like wouldn't feel so emboldened to carry out their deliberate attacks on innocent people if they could see Muslims around the world denouncing them with real passion and anger like we see on the pro-Palestine marches. 

So who is carrying out these ‘endless barbaric attacks’? Can you point out some of these ‘endless’ attacks? Perhaps we can then balance it up with some endless barbaric attacks by non-Muslims. 

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

What does ‘deeply religious’ have to do with anything? Should all Muslims be ‘deeply religious’?

It might surprise you to learn that people who aren’t Muslims might understand the rationale behind the attack, even if they don’t agree with the method. It’s easy to sit in your armchair and expect little David to fight fair against a Goliath. It’s not an even fight. So in some people eyes these men are true heroes, giving their lives for their cause. 
That is not something that is going to change or to be snuffed out. So why should anyone condemn it? Israel does not have clean hands in this conflict and there are always going to be people rooting for the other side. No mealy-mouthed virtue signalling is going to change that

43 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Perhaps you would but many of the Christian churches and millions of their followers wouldn't. The Russian Orthodox Church is actively supporting Putin in Russia and you don't have to go that far back in history to witness the Catholic and Anglican Churches turning a blind eye to killings.

I'm not trying to act as an apologist for Islam; I'm not religious and have little time for organised religion which imo throughout history has done more harm than good. However, imo it is wrong to castigate ordinary Muslims in this instance.

43 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Perhaps but, unfortunately, I doubt that the zealots who follow Hamas will change.

41 minutes ago, NextG said:

What does ‘deeply religious’ have to do with anything? Should all Muslims be ‘deeply religious’?

It might surprise you to learn that people who aren’t Muslims might understand the rationale behind the attack, even if they don’t agree with the method. It’s easy to sit in your armchair and expect little David to fight fair against a Goliath. It’s not an even fight. So in some people eyes these men are true heroes, giving their lives for their cause. 
That is not something that is going to change or to be snuffed out. So why should anyone condemn it? Israel does not have clean hands in this conflict and there are always going to be people rooting for the other side. No mealy-mouthed virtue signalling is going to change that

So why is it you so often engage in virtue signaling, then?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NextG said:

Took a look and cannot find anything that you posted with regard to pre-1948. Then we can have a conversation about the terror groups who ended up governing the place in question. Do you think they no longer exist? 
We can talk about how the Palestinians and the Jews lived together peacefully, as Arabs and Jews did before and do now; Morocco, as an example. 
But of course, something happened to change all that snd it wasn’t the Palestinians who changed it. 

I believe he was referring to the protest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1