Mobile banking systems of all banks are safe and secure : TBA

snoop1130

App-stability-01.png

The Thai Bankers Association (TBA) has offered an assurance that their mobile banking applications are secure and safe.

This assurance was in response to news of the arrest of a programmer, who claimed to have developed software that can transfer money and unlock facial recognition features within banking applications, making it possible to bypass biometric scanning and transfer amounts exceeding 50,000 baht through the software.

The Computer Emergency Response Team has conducted system checks throughout the banking sector and discovered that the software in question cannot be used with customer accounts because, to do so, it would require the account owner’s personal information, such as ID card number, bank account number and mobile phone SIM card. It also requires identity verification through facial scanning, PIN number and one-time password.

Caption: Photo : Thai Banks Association

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-11-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

But I don't believe you. And I want SCB to bring back SCB Easy so I can do my banking from my desktop.

Thanks, and how interesting. I had the same problem with my Cambodian bank, ABA. Without warning, the bank withdrew its personal internet banking facility for computers. I changed to a bank that did and closed the original account. A lot of hassle initially, but now okay. Ironically, the original bank still sends a demand for the annual debit card fee despite being informed the account was closed and the debit card destroyed around 2 years ago! 

• Like 2

My TGF convinced me to have my Krungsri branch take the mobile app off my phone, and I never wanted a debit or credit card. Thus nothing can happen (short of an inside job?) without my appearance in front of a teller or manager. I suspect the GF's motive (besides concern for my wellbeing and solvency) was partly that if any monies ever disappear, she cannot be suspect--that's also fine.

15 minutes ago, Enzian said:

My TGF convinced me to have my Krungsri branch take the mobile app off my phone, and I never wanted a debit or credit card. Thus nothing can happen (short of an inside job?) without my appearance in front of a teller or manager. I suspect the GF's motive (besides concern for my wellbeing and solvency) was partly that if any monies ever disappear, she cannot be suspect--that's also fine.

What happens when someone else pretends to be you, setups the app on their phone, and you have no idea it ever happened? 

9 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

What happens when someone else pretends to be you, setups the app on their phone, and you have no idea it ever happened? 

But isn't that the case with every person? This is what I'm here to learn. If someone gets to one's home office or hacks one's social media accounts or completely takes over their computer, then they might harvest enough data to do what you suggest. Everyone tries to avoid these things.  But surely they can't just put the real bank app on their phone simply by using my real full name. 

Just now, Enzian said:

But isn't that the case with every person? This is what I'm here to learn. If someone gets to one's home office or hacks one's social media accounts or completely takes over their computer, then they might harvest enough data to do what you suggest. Everyone tries to avoid these things.  But surely they can't just put the real bank app on their phone simply by using my real full name. 

You would receive a warning on you current device that someone else is accessing your account, or trying.