Mental illness in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

I have posted this purposely in the Pattaya section as I relate this topic to Pattaya mostly 

Last time I was in Pattaya I saw a unwell thai & farang suffering

Outside the Jomtien 711 I saw a homeless Thai young man walking around shouting to himself and I seen him for weeks

Near the Nirun apartments I saw farangs ,one guy punching himself.

I met a guy from Norway outside the family mart  seemed in my opinion to have some sort of mental illness ,wearing black work shoes no socks  and undies with no trousers ,drinking beer telling me I was too nice ,and wanting to shake my hand ,when I questioned him further he told me he was in a disability pension from Norway and it was 100k a month ,yeah right !  As he has Szpphrenia

Now unless you have money AND want treatment there seems to be any lacking in Pattaya

I'm seeing a increase in mental illness in Pattaya ,and I must say some yes some can be dangerous,if they have paranoid delusional etc then I would hate to be living in the same Condo building as them 

There seems to be no mental health facilities in Pattaya 

• Haha 1

I tried helping someone with something like bipolar and took them to see a Dr. At BKK Pattaya hospital. It was such a depressing experience and just one of the items on the bad of  humanity list. I don't know the solution other than to make the human race extinct.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

There are probably plenty of mentally ill foreigners living in remote farming communities in Isaan, but we don't see them at the local 7Eleven.

Pattaya - more foreigners - more cases. It's just numbers.

Seem plenty near 7/11s in Korat, Udon, Nong Khai.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I tried helping someone with something like bipolar and took them to see a Dr. At BKK Pattaya hospital. It was such a depressing experience and just one of the items on the bad of  humanity list. I don't know the solution other than to make the human race extinct.

Humans are a big disappointment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Enough medication available over the counter, since they have a history of their illness, they can try to self medicate. Getting enough sleep is number one to accomplish ... 

Btw, BHP has a psychiatric department for out-patients.

Edited by Henk Langeweg
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Read an article on BKK post a few years ago about how mental health is over looked in Thailand, and I think the culture hinders people from publicly (to friends or family, even to a doctor) saying they need help. As for expats, I think we can be our own worse enemy, it is important to have interests apart from the bar and a beer. Exercise and contact with fellow expats is important so we do not fall into a rut that can lead to depression.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Need to be some way to protect the unwell with their various deep-seated insecurities from their propensity to visit the testosterone clinics.

Later they'll be walking around in bras for their moobs, panting with high blood pressure, popping estrogen blockers, trying to locate their balls, and writing numerous confused posts on our beloved forum, making excuses to continue the "addiction."

Needless suffering for lack of caretakers to save them from delusions (some about their actual location), confusing past with present, fanciful, time-wasting dreams (buying a gym, renting out condos), smugly belittling others, seizing opportunities for schadenfreude, and engaging in frequent self-defeating opinions and behaviors.

What happened to lobotomies as an acceptable treatment? Never hear about them nowadays. I think electroshock is still used, in some cases.

Edited by BigStar

13 hours ago, still kicking said:

I could name a few but don't want to get banned 

I resemble that remark.

Strongly believe that you have to be a little crazy these days.

As to the topic most expats that are in trouble for this are probably overstay so the only thing that can be done is put them on a flight however most airlines will refuse them as passengers.

Uch like the western world this is a problem with lack of facilities or ability to hold unless they request it.  Remember most countries have a 72hour hold limit.

The scary thing is , some of these guys are on Government Disability pensions from their home countries and allowed to live in Thailand whether they are from Australia or UK the thing is no one is monitoring their medication .

They can be walking time bombs 

One guy from Australia was on a medication I have been told named "clozapine" which is a medication to treat paranoid schizophrenic when all other medications have failed 

It's very sad as they are running away from society only to end up much worse in Pattaya and usually it's alcohol but now weed is legal that seems to be the drug of choice 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1

In my home country that kind of people were called "village fools" and was quite common; of course in small numbers, but at many places. Now they are rare, as the high-tax social welfare system takes care of them (puts them away). In Thailand it's rather the family that needs to take care of a "village fool".

There are a few of Thai village fools where I live on Koh Samui. One of them has been around for about 15 years and begs little angrily for pocket money. I've been told that he don't need it, as he is from a rich family, but live his own life as village fool; however, when he don't angrily begs, he sometimes gets 10 or 20 baht from me, which he use for drinking water and Krating Daeng (Red Bull). A couple of the fools have disappeared during the years I've been living here, and a newcomer showed up. He is walking around without shirt up and down the main road all day long talking to himself, or his invisible followers. In the beginning he was sun tinted, now is black. He is harmless, but don't appear friendly. Sometimes we walks on the street instead of the side walk.

Foreign "losers" I also see around the island. Yes, people sitting in front of a convenient store – looking like the homeless life-style folks back home – they might have a better life here, then in a cold northern country, but they should be send home. If they begin to go berserk – which has happened – police will normally take care of them; I presume it then end as an embassy matter.

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

have posted this purposely in the Pattaya section as I relate this topic to Pattaya mostly 

Outside the Jomtien 711 I saw a homeless Thai young man walking around shouting to himself and I seen him for weeks

Near the Nirun apartments I saw farangs ,one guy punching himself.

I met a guy from Norway outside the family mart  seemed in my opinion to have some sort of mental illness ,wearing black work shoes no socks  and undies with no trousers ,drinking beer telling me I was too nice ,and wanting to shake my hand ,when I questioned him further he told me he was in a disability pension from Norway and it was 100k a month ,yeah right !  As he has Szpphrenia

Now unless you have money AND want treatment there seems to be any lacking in Pattaya

I'm seeing a increase in mental illness in Pattaya ,and I must say some yes some can be dangerous,if they have paranoid delusional etc then I would hate to be living in the same Condo building as them 

There seems to be no mental health facilities in Pattaya 

Did you saw a prove of the Norvegians 100k a month income? Or do you believe anything people tell you, especially the ones with mental illness?

I have/had a farang friend here in Pattaya who is having a mental health issue and does not understand nor believe it. I have suggested he try to get medical help but he tells me I am the crazy one. It is very frustrating to try to help him or even speak with him. I do fear for his safety but do not know how to help him. 

1 minute ago, kokopelli said:

I have/had a farang friend here in Pattaya who is having a mental health issue and does not understand nor believe it. I have suggested he try to get medical help but he tells me I am the crazy one. It is very frustrating to try to help him or even speak with him. I do fear for his safety but do not know how to help him. 

What makes you think that?