Carabao-Red Sun hops into the ring to challenge Thai beer titans Singha and Chang

webfact

10 minutes ago, Millman said:

I suggest people try the Leo Strong 8 brew..it’s actually a better lager than the rice beers produced by Chang and Singha. Taste a lot like Lao beer.

About time there was a bit of a challenge to the big boys and it will be worth buying an all malt brew at a slightly higher price.

It's 5.1% compared to standard Leo at 5%

Hardly merits being called strong

Although I take your point about it being like Beer Lao, which is about the best we can get even if it is highly taxed

2 hours ago, marin said:

I really hate blanket statements like this. "All Thai's", BS, some of the Thai people you have met have this problem not all.

no need to get so emotional about this. but i dont get...' have this problem not at all' what do you mean?

oh, btw you disagree with me, and that is fine. but in over 20 years teaching here every year i ask kids 'what is your favorite food?' 99.99% all answer the same thing. 'I like spicy'

and judging by the amount of umami and chili pepper they put in their food i stand by my comment that thais do not have a very fine palate. now... dont get over emotional about my reply... this is just a blog

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, nikmar said:

ive tried them all execpt the IPA. 

The rose is sweet and one maybe for the girls (my missi likes it). if i want a frity fizzy drink, I d drink fanta.

The lager is a different taste alternative to the usual chang/leo/cheers/singha choice. some may prefer, some not.

I ve never been a huge fan of wiezen or wheat beers. This is ok for me.

But i do like the Dunkel. Not many dark beers in Thailand and this is good, a hoppy bitter taste. Definately a good alternative to whats usually on offer and i will be buying a crate for the fridge.

looking forward to the IPA. Thailand needs a good one!!

What % is the Dunkel?

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Carlsberg Elephant beer in Denmark used to be 8% and a beautiful taste. 

Chang does not quite compare, but is OK.

Hope these new ones get to my neck of the woods soon. Tapper is OK at 6.5%.

Used to go for a cycle after work in Esbjerg and stop at the supermarket for a few tins of Carlsberg Elephant beer. Wasn't a bad drop. They also do "Master Brew" which was 10.8%, I think. Blew yer socks off.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

I'm sure there is a huge market, not just here, for a low alcohol, good tasting beer/larger, say 2% or 3%.....some people want to drink, enjoy the taste, but don't want to end up flat on our backs.

Becoming more common in the UK. The problem is it's the same price as a 4.5% beer.

I shall look forward to trying the new beers when Im back in Thailand.

I wonder what will happen with Move Forward's progressive alcohol bill? Are ther enough sensible MPs to get it through? 

I've just noticed that the bottle shown above says Tawandang at the top. That is a very positive sign that the beer will be excellent, as it is at the Tawandang entertainment venues (where I once saw Carabao perform, by the way). And it explains the raspberry beer, which they sell there. I thought it was strawberry, but now I know it wasn't. Probably, to quote the ads for a certain Danish beer.

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I'm sure there is a huge market, not just here, for a low alcohol, good tasting beer/larger, say 2% or 3%.....some people want to drink, enjoy the taste, but don't want to end up flat on our backs.

Get the same effect as 9.8% I'd buy that 

53 minutes ago, Millman said:

I suggest people try the Leo Strong 8 brew..it’s actually a better lager than the rice beers produced by Chang and Singha. Taste a lot like Lao beer.

It's okay for sure, but strong? Leo is 5 and Leo 8 is 5.1. Actually of all the Thai beers, I find Leo the Weak to have the hoppiest flavour.

32 minutes ago, Siamesecarper said:

Looking forward to trying the IPA and see how it compares to the Beer Lao IPA which is pretty good IMO.

That is by far the nearest I've found to an English ale. I buy that in small bottles by the case at a place near Kalasin immigration, after I was pointed in that direction by an AN member. Works out at 74 each though. If the Carabao is comparable, and in a large bottle for a much lesser price (50 has been mentioned for the lager) , I'll be changing brands. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Siamesecarper said:

Looking forward to trying the IPA and see how it compares to the Beer Lao IPA which is pretty good IMO.

Yep. The little land-locked country to the NE of here blows Thailand out of the water when it comes to domestic beer.

In fact, it's hard to name any country other than maybe Saudi Arabia that does it worse than here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

They obviously sell Heineken 0% ZERO, but it is more expensive than the 5% stuff, and still cannot buy between 2 - 5 pm.

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

I quite liked those special hoppy brews in the aluminum bottles, and I can't stand regular Thai beer. Unfortunately, the advertising ban stopped them from getting into the public consciousness, and as you say the 79 baht price was likely too high for the folks looking for the cheapest possible buzz.

Just got a bottle of the normal Carabao, about as boring as the band, and just 4.9%

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends maybe higher price due to higher alcohol content, if so I'm in favour of that, too many at or below 5% now 

It be higher price because the fermenting from 100% grain not part sugar like the super wealthy who make as we say in Aussie. "Gin's pi$$"   Come on more real beer.  After you drink real quality beer the 3 crappy beers will not pass your lips again.

I drank Chang and others for a long time. Then I  had a Pliney the Elder and I will not the current swill even if free.

Come on Micro brewery.

• Like 1