Visa Exempt to Retirement Extension - Process and Cost

4 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

talked with our serviced apartment/monthly rental manager today (she is on a work permit herself).  They have only month to month "leases/contracts", which are not written, otherwise what they can provide is something called a "letter of accomodation" (which I've used for visas before),     wonder if *that and a TM.30  might be enough for a person doing their 1st 1 year extension , based on a non-O obtained outside Thailand?

It is all up to what the IO will accept - and, that varies by office, and by which service in each office, and possibly even by the IO working the desk you happen to get, and the "mood" of their supervisor at that moment.  A lot of agent-passports w/ envelopes today = "good mood" = "let some honest applicants get their extensions, too."

Would I try that letter?  Yes.  When dealing with Immigration, "waste of my time" doesn't come into it, because this happens so frequently - except when/if "agent service" is available, in which case all the made-up problems like this landlord-doc run-around magically vanish.

Edit: Some reports of "Must be One Year Lease" at some offices - but can vary by office, so the only way to find out is to try, unless someone has a recent report of this requirement from the office you intend to use.  

Edited by Rob Browder

8 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Some reports of "Must be One Year Lease" at some offices - but can vary by office, so the only way to find out is to try, unless someone has a recent report of this requirement from the office you intend to use.  

The guy you replied to is doing FIRST extension from a non O.

While possible...a one year lease requirement would be extreme. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The guy you replied to is doing FIRST extension from a non O.

While possible...a one year lease requirement would be extreme. 

yes, it is at Chang Wattana, if it matters, it will likely be with a Non-O obtained from a Los Angelas Consulate, (I'm curious if those are now E-visas also, like TRs are?).

I guess the 800k doesn't need to season at all pre-1 year extension (1st 1 year EOS) ?     Which I will do at Day 45 of the 90 day stamped in.

I guess I'll keep a print out of the transferwise transfers from my US Bank to BBL , and that is sufficient to show it came from outside Thailand, or maybe I print out the US statement/s showing money went to transferwise  or both?  or Do I also need something from BBL showing the transfers were from outside ? or all 3 ?

I could do iBanking from one BBL account to the other in the run-up , monthly if that matters at all, 

I appreciate your patience , granted at CW , like BKK, many things seem to randomly happen.

8 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

I guess the 800k doesn't need to season at all pre-1 year extension (1st 1 year EOS) ?     Which I will do at Day 45 of the 90 day stamped in.

You guess incorrectly.

For the 12 month extension the 800k needs to be in the bank account for two months prior to application for extension. 

The non O eVisa  you obtain in the states will mean on entry to Thailand you will be stamped in for 90 days.

As for transferring funds from home country to Thai bank account... WISE is a popular option..

14 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

Do I also need something from BBL showing the transfers were from outside ?

When applying for non O retirement in Thailand you need to show funds came from abroad.

For annual extensions that is not required using funds in bank method

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When applying for non O retirement in Thailand you need to show funds came from abroad.

Asking for a friend, but I understood one often cannot open a Thai bank account without a Non Imm O visa, and one cannot get a Non Imm O visa with funds in a Thai bank account? How are folks getting around this?

24 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Asking for a friend, but I understood one often cannot open a Thai bank account without a Non Imm O visa, and one cannot get a Non Imm O visa with funds in a Thai bank account? How are folks getting around this?

It is possible.

Banks should accept a certificate of residence however this is not possible at  CW as that office requires you to have made a 90 day report to obtain COR.

One solution is to obtain a non O outside of Thailand and some banks will open a bank account based on non O.

Also some folk use an agent to open a bank account. Approx 5k.

However in recent times notice some agents not doing this in Bangkok.

Previously Siam legal provided this service and currently not. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

it will likely be with a Non-O obtained from a Los Angelas Consulate, (I'm curious if those are now E-visas also, like TRs are?).

Well Captain Monday received  the  90 day non-0 from eVisa system this spring. L.A. Consulate. Very easy.  Granted by end of 4 business days only document other than passport and photo that was  appears required  was my Bank statement. Now holding 1 year extension (based on retirement) today,  after lunch. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Well Captain Monday received  the  90 day non-0 from eVisa system this spring. L.A. Consulate. Very easy.  Granted by end of 4 business days only document other than passport and photo that was  appears required  was my Bank statement. Now holding 1 year extension (based on retirement) today,  after lunch. 

so, your 1st 90 day report, will be 90 days (non-o stamp), +90 days after that? 

42 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

No.

90 days after First application for extension. 

After that extension has nothing to do with 90 day count .

Note: there are few weird offices that do 90 report when you apply for extension. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

Actually I have not ever considered it as I do not do 90 day reports due to “constant international travel”

-Captain Monday

Edited by Captain Monday

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

90 days after First application for extension. 

After that extension has nothing to do with 90 day count .

Note: there are few weird offices that do 90 report when you apply for extension. 

sorry, I'm unclear what the sentences mean, could you possible, please, provide some dates as an example?

say I arrive Jan 1st, stamped in for 90 days till ~March 31st. @CW say on February 15th I go and apply for a 1 year Extension of stay.

I'm guessing one is told yes or no, if the application is approved on the spot, though, they must return the next day or so, to pick up the passport with the new stamp?

On what date would the 1st TM47/90 day be due? 

when you get an extension ask immigration when you need do ur 90 days
Many immigrations will reset ur 90 days to the day ur extension is issued

As to the original question
come in on a visa exempt, apply for a non O visa ( 2,000 baht)
deposit ur money, after 2 months back to immigration and apply for ur 1 year extension ( 1,900 baht)

Via an agent anywhere from 25,000-50,000 , all depends on where you are with Pattaya the cheapest

Not hard at all,, either way

Edited by zzzzz
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

On what date would the 1st TM47/90 day be due?

In the example you posted the count would start day of application Feb 15