I picked up a stray kitten and the surgery fee will cost 10000 baht

Epidote

A stray kitten came to my yard, she did not eat anything and very thin. so I brought her to the vet, who give her an x ray and told me  she might be hit by a car or something, the surgery will take about 10000 baht, or she can not breathe and eat.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or comment, can I find some cat rescue organization here?  is there anyway I can discuss with the hospital to get a discount for stray cat surgery?   

thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same price in europ man . If it is an house cat you can decide to do nothing. it is what i did in my home country, Belgium. i hope my advise will not be cancelled by the woke moderators. I swear on my .. everything that i don"t want you do do something illegal. so help me god

• Confused 9

53 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

We take in stray cats, one time having five. One evening a tiny kitten was outside on the window ledge looking in. I felt very sorry but there are limits. Our practice is if it's eating OK we feed it. If it cannot/doesn't want to eat it's probably been poisoned (either deliberately or accidentally) and will soon die. No point in calling for our vet. Incidentally, our guy must be the most honest vet in the World. We called him for one cat. He arrived on a moto and gave it an injection. He said; 'It'll either get better or it won't, nothing else I can do'. He didn't want to accept any money but my Mrs insisted.     

Question is whether the feline squad would do any good vs. a burglar.....

On topic - our dog was sort of a communal street dog, one of the neighbors being a vet everything was taken care of without charge. When we took her in to our new house, he did the spaying free too. Even nowadays need to pressure him to charge full price for treatment - not super cheap anyway for a decent clinic, but no robbery either.

OP - there are several NGO's (some in Chiang Mai too) that may help for free/donation. Not up to date on that, but should be easy enough to find. 10K sounds like way over the top. Another option is to check with a government pet hospital (if we have one here, there must be one in Chiang Mai) where the prices are fixed and reasonable.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

How much would the Thai price be ?

I would guess 25-50% of the quoted 10,000.

Send in a Thai female who say 'I found this cat on the road, clearly in distress. Can you help the cat? My budget is only 2,000'

Short examination, and maybe get a quote (price for Khun Thai) somewhere between 2,500-5,000.

Return few hours later after she got a quote of say 3,500-4,000 earlier, and the female say

'I borrowed money and now can afford 3,000 baht, is it possible, please na na'

Give the vet a few minutes ..

Haggle, negotiate is a art. While I am no good at talking a woman into bed, I have refined my haggling skills.

I have managed to get price reduction on many items and services by speaking thai, very polite, compliment the seller, and have a very humble attitude. Thai people can often be very soft when a foreigner really show respect and act humble.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

CMU Has a veterinary school which many people use for their pets care....

There are many choices of vets & many different price schedules.....

Jai-De medical clinic by Nong Kwai on the canal road is good.... There's a 24/7 Hang Dong Animal Hospital is good but pricey.....

We have 11 rescues = sometimes it does cost money.....I spent over 20k on one of ours & would do it again....

Thank you, I will check CMU later, I send them x-ray.  The problem is not only about the cost, but the success rate of surgery is doubtful. The kitten is too small. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

We take in stray cats, one time having five. One evening a tiny kitten was outside on the window ledge looking in. I felt very sorry but there are limits. Our practice is if it's eating OK we feed it. If it cannot/doesn't want to eat it's probably been poisoned (either deliberately or accidentally) and will soon die. No point in calling for our vet. Incidentally, our guy must be the most honest vet in the World. We called him for one cat. He arrived on a moto and gave it an injection. He said; 'It'll either get better or it won't, nothing else I can do'. He didn't want to accept any money but my Mrs insisted.     

Did it get better?

• Like 1

There are at least 6 cats pushing up daises in our garden, 4 of them kittens that never made it to adulthood. (not by my hand I should add)From my observation a mother is lucky if even one makes it.

I didn't invite or encourage any of these cats to inhabit our space, they were just opportunists looking for an easy life and I suspect that is the cat/man relationship that prevails here.

I do not trust cats unless I know for sure that they have been socialized with humans at a young age. Feral cats will produce feral offspring as I discovered for myself when the first litter showed up. They could be quite vicious and I kept well clear of them.

Edited by Moonlover