BMA to Implement Truck Weighing Tech After Road Collapse

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) announced plans to deploy weigh-in-motion technology for trucks across the city. The move comes after a 10-wheel truck, overloaded with 37.4 tonnes of cargo, broke a section of Sukhumvit Road, leading to injuries

They need to curb the bent police... weigh stations are available now, but when you can pay police to avoid using them whats the point?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

The load is saturated mud from pile excavations. This material weighs approx. 2.5 ton per cubic meter....this truck bin is roughly 16M3....so it's well over weight.

Mentioned a couple of days ago it was 27t...I'de estimate close to 40t in the bin

42 tons is typical semi truck weight fully loaded in civilized countries with proper road construction...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, worrab said:

Not when it is a rigid and not an artic!! This ten wheeler, Thai, six wheeler, UK, is well over weight and would be carrying a load that should go on a 6 axle artic. 

True it was a rigid but what if 2 trucks had to pass over it side by side. And as I have posted on a previous thread that crane is ridged although more wheels, it would weigh around 40t.  

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

True it was a rigid but what if 2 trucks had to pass over it side by side. And as I have posted on a previous thread that crane is ridged although more wheels, it would weigh around 40t.  

The more axles means that the weight is spread out more. That load equating to around 40t+ on 3 axles!! Does not need working out that it was a recipe for disaster. Think of the design weights for the truck then think of braking capabilities etc. Something was going to go wrong and this time the truck broke the covers, because of overweight, and fell in a man made cavern. Luckily nobody was injured. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, worrab said:

The more axles means that the weight is spread out more. That load equating to around 40t+ on 3 axles!! Does not need working out that it was a recipe for disaster. Think of the design weights for the truck then think of braking capabilities etc. Something was going to go wrong and this time the truck broke the covers, because of overweight, and fell in a man made cavern. Luckily nobody was injured. 

Most of the weight on a truck mounted crane is over the rear axles, and as I said 2 trucks side by side not overloaded would be 50t  on that cover.

Imagine if there had been another cover under the crane when it was lifting that truck. 😱

Edited by brianthainess

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Most of the weight on a truck mounted crane is over the rear axles, and as I said 2 trucks side by side not overloaded would be 50t  on that cover.

Imagine if there had been another cover under the crane when it was lifting that truck. 😱

Sorry as it seems we are on crossed purposes here. I was only discussing the truck and not the crane.

2 trucks side by side would have the weight spread out over 6 axles between them. This has probably happened many times when normal traffic was using the road. As opposed to heavily overloaded on 3 axles! 
The crane would not, or should not, be attempting any lift unless the outriggers were deployed and sitting on mats, which distribute the weight.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If vehicles stick to the prescribed weight limits there should be no need to strengthen the roads. 

Good grief. Were there weight restriction signs? What about road design? 

EVs are a tad heavier than ICE vehcles, apparently, so road damage will increase. Limit vehicle weights or upgrade roads or both?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If vehicles stick to the prescribed weight limits there should be no need to strengthen the roads. 

It's called tolerances, therfore a road if needing to be tolerant to 30 tons should be able to take 60ish ton before failing. Maybe it's just luck when the tanks roll into bkk for a reshuffle of generals the tanks don't collapse all the roads...

22 minutes ago, BritScot said:

It's called tolerances, therfore a road if needing to be tolerant to 30 tons should be able to take 60ish ton before failing. Maybe it's just luck when the tanks roll into bkk for a reshuffle of generals the tanks don't collapse all the roads...

Tanks spread the weight more evenly.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Perhaps the poster who always seems to be putting the laughing emoji to my comments would like to reveal why!! Do you know something I do not which is why that emoji keeps appearing or are you just trolling as you have nothing better to do. I am going to bet that you do not reply to this post!!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 7:00 AM, worrab said:

Perhaps the poster who always seems to be putting the laughing emoji to my comments would like to reveal why!

Lots of weirdos here mate. 

Back in the day (when their names were attached to the emoji's), I had a guy giving me a confused emoji on every comment I made and another guy giving me a sad.

Over the many years I've probably only dealt out a hand full of sad and confused emoji's (in retaliation) but I reckon I've earned the most of these stupid sad and confused emoji's. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Typical behavoir to target the 'weak'... 

Had the truck driver insisted on a lighter (legal) load, he'd be very quickly fired - these poor guys have no choice.

It is the business owners who are responsible here, the 'buck' should stop with them, its up to the owners and management to ensure drivers follow the rules - it is only when this is normal practice that drivers breaking the rules should be held account able. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Lots of weirdos here mate. 

Back in the day (when their names were attached to the emoji's), I had a guy giving me a confused emoji on every comment I made and another guy giving me a sad.

Over the many years I've probably only dealt out a hand full of sad and confused emoji's (in retaliation) but I reckon I've earned the most of these stupid sad and confused emoji's. 

Some unhinged and very mentally sad posters troll others by posting this 'sad' or a laughing 'emoji' on any post made by someone they dislike...   I've had it happen and and its been easy to work out who it is.

I've seen it happen to others too... 

As you pointed out... there are just some unhinged weirdo's on here.... I see that as a good thing, we need to be exposed to these utter tools as it helps us remember that not everyone out there around us when we are out and about is 'normal'...  there are a lot of fruitcakes around, this forum highlights that there could be a lot more unhinged weirdo's and wrong-uns than we think. 

• Agree 1

On 11/14/2023 at 3:00 AM, worrab said:

Perhaps the poster who always seems to be putting the laughing emoji to my comments would like to reveal why!! Do you know something I do not which is why that emoji keeps appearing or are you just trolling as you have nothing better to do. I am going to bet that you do not reply to this post!!!

They're just unintelligent halfwitted trolls....    its easy to ignore them.

I think the Mods can see who posted what reaction - if someone is targeting you, they'll be able to identify it and react.

• Thanks 1