What to do when you know too much?

bob smith

We were gonna catch a Tuk Tuk from outside the Grand palace some years back, and the Tuk Tuk driver was making absolutely no sense. I caught the guard out of the corner of my eye, and he raised his finger off the trigger guard in a "no" fashion, and had a small temporary smile. (You know the guards that stare into space for hours on end).

We excused ourselves from the Tuk Tuk driver, and I mouthed a quick "Khap pomm" in the soldiers direction. He nodded just slightly, and we were on our merry way.

We're talking about some of the most penniless and abused workers in Thailand -who are forced to wheedle and extort chump change just so they can clear 500 baht in a day. A day that is spent out in the heat, breathing in traffic fumes. 

Grab cab rendered them obsolete. The electric tuk tuk that costs the same as a cab is doing them no favors. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Relatedly, I once saw a Brit (of course) actually interrupt some taxi negotiations between two Swedish sweeties (of course) and advise them to demand to pay less.

Another driver came over, gave him a shove and said, "thai boxing". And then sadly, everyone dispersed. Am I what Trump calls a race-traitor for hoping for a zesty slap around of the Brit?

so he should be slapped around for trying to do the right thing?

I hope those 3 years when scammer tuk tuk drivers had no food on the table still smarts in the back of their minds..

bet all of them lost their mia nois during lockdown 

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

so he should be slapped around for trying to do the right thing?

Most def. 100%.

I was in sales. Interrupting someone's pitch is a grave sin.

Do you c-block Jehovah's Witnesses when they're door-stepping and start yelling that there is no Jesus too?

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, bob smith said:

my question is, how does one who lives here long term avoid knowing too much?

You can not!!  Packing up and leaving is your only option now. 

You should have done like me . keep your pie-hone closed except when eating pie or smilling. 

And play dumb.

Playing dumb should not be much of a challenge for most farangs I have met, and it certainly has not been for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

so is scamming someone out of their heard earned money.

hows about these hotel layabouts doing a bit of honest work for a change?

you know, like putting on the meter and service with a smile!!

lazy gits get no sympathy at all from me.

Edited by bob smith

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

farang mai dee'

Not sure where you hear such phrases as 'farang mai di', as no  ordinary Thai will use such phrase, i should know because i hear and speak Thai and interact with enough Thai people to never heard such phrase spoken, it could be a bar's Thai type of language but not everyday Thai...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Not sure where you hear such phrases as 'farang mai di', as no  ordinary Thai will use such phrase, i should know because i hear and speak Thai and interact with enough Thai people to never heard such phrase spoken, it could be a bar's Thai type of language but not everyday Thai...

I did say I heard this kind of thing in bars..

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

Most def. 100%.

Do you c-block Jehovah's Witnesses when they're door-stepping and start yelling that there is no Jesus too?

Next you'll be saying it's ok for poor people from the subcontinent to call old people in the states and get them to buy gift cards to pay their fake tax bill.

A bit here and there is fine, one could argue that high taxi fares in Phuket are due to a form of unionisation,  but out and out scams where tourists find themselves in uncomfortable situations at a dodgy gemstone factory, that they never wanted to go to, should be stopped. Does not do Thailand's reputation any favours. Stand up and be counted. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Next you'll be saying it's ok for poor people from the subcontinent to call old people in the states and get them to buy gift cards to pay their fake tax bill.

A bit here and there is fine, one could argue that high taxi fares in Phuket are due to a form of unionisation,  but out and out scams where tourists find themselves in uncomfortable situations at a dodgy gemstone factory, that they never wanted to go to, should be stopped. Does not do Thailand's reputation any favours. Stand up and be counted. 

well said mate.

it's hard to be a wolf in a world full of sheep but you certainly wear the coat well ;) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

where tourists find themselves in uncomfortable situations at a dodgy gemstone factory,

The taxi driver gets a tip from the gemstone factory. I have a farang-looking mate who used to get taxi drivers to take him to a gemstone factory and then split the tip and have a free lunch together.

1 hour ago, Prubangboy said:

Relatedly, I once saw a Brit (of course) actually interrupt some taxi negotiations between two Swedish sweeties (of course) and advise them to demand to pay less.

Another driver came over, gave him a shove and said, "thai boxing". And then sadly, everyone dispersed. Am I what Trump calls a race-traitor for hoping for a zesty slap around of the Brit?

Muay Thai means Thai boxing

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The taxi driver gets a tip from the gemstone factory. I have a farang-looking mate who used to get taxi drivers to take him to a gemstone factory and then split the tip and have a free lunch together.

2 hours to get 50 baht lunch? 25 baht a hour

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

so is scamming someone out of their heard earned money.

hows about these hotel layabouts doing a bit of honest work for a change?

you know, like putting on the meter and service with a smile!!

lazy gits get no sympathy at all from me.

They sit around for hours. Maybe few customers. Make 100 baht extra dumb farang why bother trying to stop it? 

Let people use Grab etc. I just tell farangs that.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

They sit around for hours. Maybe few customers. Make 100 baht extra dumb farang why bother trying to stop it? 

because im sick of hearing their abusive ways when im trying to enjoy breakfast.

like a plague of blood sucking locusts they are.

it's very uncouth. and before you say I should go elsewhere no I wont. I pay for my visa and I'm entitled to go wherever I want.

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

because im sick of hearing their abusive ways when im trying to enjoy breakfast.

like a plague of blood sucking locusts they are.

it's very uncouth. and before you say I should go elsewhere no I wont. I pay for my visa and I'm entitled to go wherever I want.

Words hurt you that much? Toughen up darling

You should become some sort of farang super hero. Drunkhard at night and knight throughout the day.

You gonna need an identifyable outfit so scammers run away when they see your silhouette on the horizon.

Maybe a chicken costume that you could buy from a fast food somewhere? I wouldn't go for a gogo bar outfit as no one would take you seriously if you walk around in a g string.

Protecting the weak is noble.

You have it in you.

Go.

No regrets.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrPancake said:

You should become some sort of farang super hero. Drunkhard at night and knight throughout the day.

You gonna need an identifyable outfit so scammers run away when they see your silhouette on the horizon.

Maybe a chicken costume that you could buy from a fast food somewhere? I wouldn't go for a gogo bar outfit as no one would take you seriously if you walk around in a g string.

You have it in you.

Go.

No regrets.

A big B on his shirt

Super Bob

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

You have it in you.

Go.

No regrets.

Hows Siem Reap?