Immigration, Dead mother…

Since my wife’s death 7 months ago, my son and I have travelled out of Thailand 3 times.

Each time more or less of a “circus show”, with my 9-year old son being interrogated about his dead mother.

Something I find completely inappropriate and unnecessary, as I have all official documents needed. (Guardian Visa, Death- / Marriage Certificates etc.) There is absolutely no point in question my son about his mother, which only makes him sad every time we travel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

I used to know another Farang who used to travel with his daughter and used to get the 3rd degree every time, in that case the mother was alive, he had it writing, he had the mother permission to take her out of the country, 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not an easy situation.

Unpleasant and distressing for the child/father, but can see why immigration will be worried about, trafficking regulations, etc.

Is it possible to get a Amphoe letter/certificate, like you should if the mother was alive. Amphoe will have access to death records and maybe can issue a stamp/signed declaration to that effect.

Have got a letter myself before, a few times, from Amphoe, but mother was there to give permission. Immigration never asked once to see letter.

Children can feed off of your emotions and will try to do what is right.  He has learnt that 'being sad about mom' is right and gets him free candy after.

Tell him to get over it and just blast though the interviews.  Do not spend time on it.  Your child will learn that this is the new topic we all talk about in the house.

• Sad 8
  • Haha 1

I know a typical Thai mother / drug addict and alcoholic.  When she wakes up late she looks at the kid and says 'you feel sick today, right'?  The kids says yes and stays at home.  The kid has now learnt this is a way to stay home.  Same for people dying.  It's best to move on quickly.

I was doing coloring with the child and the child ran to show her mom.  The mom showed no interest and walked past her.  The child tore up the paper and threw it on the ground.  The child learnt that day that studying is useless.

It's so easy to reinforce negative behavior with children.  You should treat the interviews as a totally normal thing that happens.  Because it is.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

I know a typical Thai mother / drug addict and alcoholic.  When she wakes up late she looks at the kid and says 'you feel sick today, right'?  The kids says yes and stays at home.  The kid has now learnt this is a way to stay home.  Same for people dying.  It's best to move on quickly.

I was doing coloring with the child and the child ran to show her mom.  The mom showed no interest and walked past her.  The child tore up the paper and threw it on the ground.  The child learnt that day that studying is useless.

It's so easy to reinforce negative behavior with children.  You should treat the interviews as a totally normal thing that happens.  Because it is.

If the kid learnt anything that day it was that colouring is useless, but nevertheless  That drug addict mother is so lucky to have you around, 

Condolences regarding your loss.  Understandable it makes your child upset.  But immigration is protecting children against illegal activities.  Unfortunately what is happening in this day and age. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, mikebike said:

For the sad and confused folks... Having all his paperwork means nothing, child traffickers have all the forged documentation they would ever need. The only way an IO is going to determine whether or not that child is being trafficked is by talking to the child. 

I think it would be a bit easier to train a kid to answer some questions, than provide perfect fakes of:

- The kids Thai and Foreign Passport 

- Kids and Mothers Thai-ID

- Death Certificate 

- Death Report 

- Cremation Certificate

- Blue Book with Mothers page stamped as “dead”

- Marriage Certificate 

- Birth certificates.

The above, plus our previous travel history gives them absolutely no reason to interrogate my son about his mother. 

The problem is that none of the officers take the slightest time to check the papers handed to them before the start the “Where is your mother questions?”

On next travel, I am considering starting off by showing a picture with my son beside her dead mother. Maybe with the text: “His mother is dead! You have all the documents to prove it. Please read them before interrogating my son about his mother”… 

Might work…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I hope their "interrogation" is at least sympathetic.  But preventing child trafficking has to be a prime concern.  I feel for you.

Last exit and “interrogation” was for sure not sympathetic at all. My kid completely froze and the officer then became agitated with me, as I had to explain and ask her to please read the papers in front of her. 

We ended up with a very angry officer (who lost face), but lucky got pulled aside, by another, who was much more understanding.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Thanks for your “smart” analysis.

Based on that, I guess what my kid has learnt is that most adults are complete idiots for asking where his mother is, while they are holding her death certificate.

Edited by khunpa